Spectrum of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I like the design of the Loft Suites. But what happened to the Solarium Pool? Seems like they are going to make the same mistake as NCL - optimizing a ship too much for a certain market... and when you move the ship the customers from their main market won´t be happy...

steamboats

I like the design of the Loft Suites. But what happened to the Solarium Pool? Seems like they are going to make the same mistake as NCL - optimizing a ship too much for a certain market... and when you move the ship the customers from their main market won´t be happy...

steamboats

You do realize that we are talking about Royal Caribbean - the same company that thought it would be okay to dock in Galveston during a hurricane AFTER having a disaster attempting to have a ship sail through a hurricane.

You do realize that we are talking about Royal Caribbean - the same company that thought it would be okay to dock in Galveston during a hurricane AFTER having a disaster attempting to have a ship sail through a hurricane.

^ what does ship design have to do with a weather based sailing decision?

I can only agree with Biker19!

Weather based sailing decisions are made by the captain who is being advised by Van Fleet. This has nothing to do with a ships construction and design.

And BTW other cruise lines made questionable decisions too regarding weather based sailing decisions.

steamboats

steamboats

I believe a ship is designed to optimize revenue, not a market. Example, the Golden area on the ship, is not just suites! They also have regular balcony cabins. The difference is the balcony cabin is several times more than a regular balcony, but you are paying for the exclusive area. Will it work in all markets? Maybe if done right.

With every ship design, items are added and removed. RCCL is a cruise line, with multiple different types of ships, where each class has a unique structure. If all you do, is take a cruise to lay next to the pool, and you don't want a crowd, than the Solarium pool is what you want. For many other people, I really don't care, what pools exists. I travel to experience the world, not the swimming pool.

I believe a ship is designed to optimize revenue, not a market.

Sorry, but this ship is designed for the Chinese market (and optimize the revenue there). There are a lot of differences to the sister ships which you won´t find on any other RCI ship. They didn´t do that much with the Ovation so it´s easier to refurbish it back for the US market.

There is more space for gambling, there is a different suite system and areas (Solarium is suites only), there are more Asian restaurants.

steamboats

Sorry, but this ship is designed for the Chinese market (and optimize the revenue there). There are a lot of differences to the sister ships which you won´t find on any other RCI ship. They didn´t do that much with the Ovation so it´s easier to refurbish it back for the US market.

There is more space for gambling, there is a different suite system and areas (Solarium is suites only), there are more Asian restaurants.

We don't know that Q5 won't have most of those things and not go to Asia.

We don't know that Q5 won't have most of those things and not go to Asia.

They did change quite a bit for Spectrum. And all the changes are to please the Chinese customer. Remember when they closed the Solarium on Ovation and made it suites only? It´s been just for the China cruises not out of Australia. Now we have a dedicated extended suite area. No Star class but Silver and Gold. So they definitely made some adaptions specifically for the Chinese market. More gambling space and VIP rooms for high rollers are also specifically for the Chinese market. The Diamond Club on the Ovation was turned into the VIP gambling room (and changed back for the Australia cruise). A hot pot restaurant in the aft part of Windjammer... another Asian restaurant on the lower decks.

I didn´t look on the cabins. But on the Norwegian Joy they´ve added a lot of connecting doors and triple/quad occupancy cabins as the Chinese prefer to travel in larger groups/families.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
Needed an excuse to post this awesome video showing (mostly) AIDAnova and the Spectrum of the Seas. So, "Oh look, some glimpses of Spectrum of the Seas!" 😜

aidanova  4.jpg

aidanova  5.jpg

aidanova  2.jpg

aidanova  10.jpg

aidanova  11.jpg

aidanova  13.jpg

aidanova  14.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

• 2 weeks later...