Very Upset with RCCL!!!!

Maksim

I am very upset now with RCCL. Pretty sure it happened with others. Here is the situation. I paid final payment in the beginning of January. Keep watching the prices. Today, when it's just under 60 days, the price went down by $2,000 per cabin in my category. I called my TA and they contacted RCCL, but they said there is nothing they can do. To cancel and rebook will cost more than the difference in price. The TA Supervisor spoke to their Supervisor and didn't get anywhere. The only thing she said is for me to continue watching the prices and if the next category up goes down in price to what I paid, they will upgrade. At this point, no upgrade, no additional OBC, not even a drink package or specialty restaurant package offered. How about that? I had this situation with Celebrity and Princess and they gladly provided free upgrade and OBC. This is just so disappointing. it looks like RCCL doesn't care if their passengers come back or not. :mad:

Here is the issue. You booked a vacation that you saw value in through a combination of itinerary, ship, date, and price, so you booked. You now are guaranteed everything that you wanted. Now as a business RCCL need to fill empty berths so they reduce prices to attract additional passengers. I understand being disappointed but your anger towards a for-profit business is misdirected. Next time wait to get a better deal, but please don't complain when the cabin, ship, or itinerary you want is not available. As for me, I'll pay more to assure what I want is what I get. You willingly entered into a contract you did not read, only one person to be angry with. Maybe you could offer yourself an upgrade or a drink package.

Not yet...:)

I am not talking about just anything.

was really referring to things that we have disputed.

Overcharges, Medical bills, fines, tickets, late fees, etc.

You would be surprised what a little persistence could do..

Matt - you are a good sport!

OP - yes unfortunately it has happened to me also. After final payment, I generally only look at prices for cabins that would be an upgrade to what I have. That way I may be able to catch a reduction in a better cabin for little or no money.

The "no reduction rule" as many have told you, has been around for a while. It is frustrating, but by booking early you may can get other promotions and get a better choice of cabins.

Not sure if you are flying or driving to port, but the airfare could have gone up closer to sail date.

enjoy

M

Not if you book Early Saver on Carnival. Carnival will give OBC up until 2 days before cruise if price drops.

Carnival's Early Saver is ridiculously convoluted if you really look at it. A: Deposit is nonrefundable, unlike Royal Caribbean. B: $50.00 fee to change or cancel. Royal Caribbean generally does not before final payment C. Price drop have to be in same category. D. You may lose your booking perks (like OBC) to get the lower price.

I actually found Royal Caribbean "price match" to be a lot more flexible than Carnival, so long as its before final payment. Carnival feels like a cash grab because once you book, you're committed in some fashion or another or you lose your deposit. The down side to Royal Caribbean is once final payment date is past/payment is made, you're locked in that price.

There is no need for people to be snarky to the OP.

Unfortunately it is out of frustration. Post after post of people who want the rules to be changed to accommodate their incompetence, and then want the cruise line to compensate them for their lack of due diligence in reading the contract. It just gets very old. Cruisecritic used to be a place full very insightful information and has now become a place where people go to complain about not getting a free cruise because they booked a balcony cabin and the ocean was too noisy. It would be much better if people really took to heart that when you enter into the contract with the cruise line you are accepting THEIR terms as written.

OP - yes unfortunately it has happened to me also. After final payment, I generally only look at prices for cabins that would be an upgrade to what I have. That way I may be able to catch a reduction in a better cabin for little or no money.

The "no reduction rule" as many have told you, has been around for a while. It is frustrating, but by booking early you may can get other promotions and get a better choice of cabins.

Not sure if you are flying or driving to port, but the airfare could have gone up closer to sail date.

enjoy

M

I'm just curious. If you have made final payment on a cruise with a deluxe balcony booked and find that the superior balcony cabin is now on sale - is that considered the next category even though both are balcony cabins? Or..is it only balcony to suite?

Thanks for any clarification!

I'm just curious. If you have made final payment on a cruise with a deluxe balcony booked and find that the superior balcony cabin is now on sale - is that considered the next category even though both are balcony cabins? Or..is it only balcony to suite?

I'm pretty sure that would be considered an upgrade and would be allowed, but that's worth what you paid for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Less if you compare it to the value you get from trip reports like cheapo dad and many many others).

Unfortunately it is out of frustration. Post after post of people who want the rules to be changed to accommodate their incompetence, and then want the cruise line to compensate them for their lack of due diligence in reading the contract. It just gets very old. Cruisecritic used to be a place full very insightful information and has now become a place where people go to complain about not getting a free cruise because they booked a balcony cabin and the ocean was too noisy. It would be much better if people really took to heart that when you enter into the contract with the cruise line you are accepting THEIR terms as written.

Hello. Welcome to the internet. ಠ_ಠ

I believe you can change to ANY cabin that is the same price or more expensive than the one you have paid for.

M

Hello. Welcome to the internet. ಠ_ಠ

Yes, welcome to the internet where the clueless have a place to get together and pity themselves ad nauseum for poor comprehension skills.

Glossed right over was that Cruise Critic once was a useful place to share information about cruising. It's now become what njm5378 says it has. The fact it's the "internet" doesn't change that (unless you're 12).

Yes, welcome to the internet where the clueless have a place to get together and pity themselves ad nauseum for poor comprehension skills.

Glossed right over was that Cruise Critic once was a useful place to share information about cruising. It's now become what njm5378 says it has. The fact it's the "internet" doesn't change that (unless you're 12).

Yes. So let's just add more anger and ad hominem attacks right? That will make it all better. Let's just tell them they're stupid and then they'll quit bothering us.

The internet is a great and open place, and people get to say what they want for better or worse including you and all the other grouchy people here who have nothing better to do with their time than attack people for asking questions.

There is enough misery in the world. Why add more? If you don't want to read about someone's misunderstanding or frustration then don't. Better yet, ask for a refund of your cruise critic membership fees.

Talk about tough love! Dang! Vicious crowd in here.

On one end we have the upgrade fairy, but on the other end we have the fire imp. You just got imped is all.

I feel the OP's pain though. I'd be upset and probably would call RCI, but ultimately, it's not something unexpected and sinister. Just work your way to acceptance.

Perhaps next time pick an interior or oceanview and be OK if you get stuck with it, or hope for a reasonably priced upgrade.

I just experienced a similar issue. However I was just two hours outside of the 48 hour price guarantee. I booked a neighborhood balcony guarantee on 1/29 at about 4 pm for the Allure sailing on 4/9. On 1/31 after seeing a "new" sale email the price before taxes was now $191 less.

I submitted the price guarantee form and I received the following email 8 days later. I understand policies but this is poor service. I hate to have this buyer beware feeling before I even leave. I have been on 4 cruise lines including RCCL and at least a dozen cruises. I am assuming that booking with a travel agent that didn't require full payment would have been a better route to avoid this. Any other advice?

Email from RCCL

To bring our policies in line with cruise industry's standard practice, Royal Caribbean International instituted our new Best Price Guarantee program in May of 2010.

Any reservation created after May 17, 2010, that undergoes a normal price reduction before the final payment date may have the price difference refunded or applied as onboard credit. A "normal price reduction" is any reduction in cruise fare for which the reservation would be eligible. Kindly note that special promotions and coupons are generally not applicable.

After the final payment date, no refunds or onboard credits are available, unless the booking was created within 48 hours of the price change and the proper redemption form was submitted. Please visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/bestpriceguarantee for the complete terms and conditions.

As the price reduction to which you refer occurred after the final payment date of your reservation and more than 48 hours after booking, we are unable to grant a request for a refund or onboard credit. While we can understand any frustration this may cause, our price protection guidelines must remain equal for all of our guests.

We apologize for any disappointment or if your expectations of our cruise line are not being met in this particular case. Rest assured, we have forwarded your feedback to our operational teams for internal review, as this helps us to evaluate and make changes where our guests feel it is most needed.

As a valued Gold member of our Crown & Anchor Society, your membership level gives you access to exclusive onboard savings through our Ultimate Value Booklet, access to a private departure lounge, Crown & Anchor savings on cruises, and much more. Visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do for a full list of your benefits.

Sounds like you booked your cruise with a 90 day period from sailing? At which point a TA would have required full payment up front as well. RCCL only requires full payment if you're under the 90 day time frame

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been there done that...

Not much you can do and yup you're right, they could offer an OBC (I think a proce drop on NCL after final payment of $1000 and they gave me $100) but they don't have to.

Cruise prices are like stocks...they go up and down and you can buy anytime but hard to predict -- you just have to buy when you are comfortable.

You could always buy a lower room and then if the room you want goes lower -- upgrade but risk getting stuck in an undesirable category.

I think the op has cruised enough that the purpose of her post was to vent and not to say it's unfair. She's been on long enough to know by now this is a norm.

Have a good vacation OP...

That is precisely their policy and has been for a very very very long time.

Interesting. I did not know what you had highlighted in your reply. That is helpful if you are in a basic inner cabin, Jr. Balcony and the like. However, if you are in the higer suite class I don't think an upgrade is possible as the Grand Loft suites i.e., are not numerous.

So, in that case would they have to provide the lower price?

I book and pay in full at time of booking. I find it easier for me. Maybe if interest rates were higher I would spread it out. I would hope RCCI would recognize me as a customer to treat rigt and get the lower fare if possible.

So, i should check at the 58th or 57th day to see if the fare changes fir suites in my category?

Thanks