Majesty delay

I'm sorry, but I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't allowed to board the ship until 6PM with NO compensation for at least the cost of lunch! Flame away!!!

Do we know there is no compensation? Seems like this came up recently in Miami and people got something. Two factors make it a little more cruicial, if I may use that word. This is either a 3 day or 4 day cruise and people with drink packages lose a significant amount of time.

Someone uprhread who is on the affected sailing contacted RC and they said there would be no compensationfor this inconvenience. Hopefully they change their minds AND prorate people on tips and beverage packages. I wouldn't hold my breath for any of these things to happen, though, based on corporate greed of RCI.

Do we know there is no compensation? Seems like this came up recently in Miami and people got something. Two factors make it a little more cruicial, if I may use that word. This is either a 3 day or 4 day cruise and people with drink packages lose a significant amount of time.

Agreed! I could do a lot of damage on the drink package between 11(ish) and 5:30-6:00!! Even at one drink per hour, that's about 6 drinks (at $11-12 per drink.) Not to fuel the fire - but that would be pretty upsetting.

The exact quote from RCI re:compensation

"At this time, we are not offering compensation and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

To me that leaves it open as a possibility but I would very much doubt it. I agree. I would be upset if I had the drink package. I didn't ask about that but I would bet they may make some adjustments.

The exact quote from RCI re:compensation

"At this time, we are not offering compensation and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

To me that leaves it open as a possibility but I would very much doubt it. I agree. I would be upset if I had the drink package. I didn't ask about that but I would bet they may make some adjustments.

Compensation for what exactly??? What have you lost?? A free meal in the WJ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by troykahack

Compensation for what exactly??? What have you lost?? A free meal in the WJ??

Six or more hours of an already short cruise. In the past, the cruise lines have compensated for this. In addition to the lost cruise time, there will be additional expenses for these cruisers.

A little compassion would not cost you anything.

Six or more hours of an already short cruise. In the past, the cruise lines have compensated for this. In addition to the lost cruise time, there will be additional expenses for these cruisers.

A little compassion would not cost you anything.

But wasn't that their choice to book a short cruise.

I just saw in another thread that Majesty has been stuck at Port overnight due to failing life jacket inspections! So it is stuck overnight on Monday, there is another cruise this weekend and then on Monday it is delayed boarding. I really hope nothing else goes wrong with this ship!

I'm sorry, but I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't allowed to board the ship until 6PM with NO compensation for at least the cost of lunch! That's pretty horrible of RC to screw their customers like that, especially for a know maintenance issue. Flushing the pipes with chlorine and chlorine gas? I wouldn't want to drink or bathe in that water right after this was done. If the plumbing on the ship is that bad, perhaps they should take this ship out of commission. It's all about the almighty dollar with Royal it seems. I'm sure they don't prorate beverage packages or tips for that day, either.

After reading threads on people catching fraudulent charges on their credit card for mini bar stuff they didn't use and all the problems with their website, along with my own poor customer service experience on Freedom a few years ago, Royal is def not my first choice of cruise lines. Flame away!!!

First off, there is no chlorine gas being used. The ship always uses sodium hypochloride (bleach) to sanitize the water, and it is always present in the water at concentrations of at least 0.5ppm. Because the Majesty had a previous problem with legionella in some shower heads, they are increasing the frequency of maintenance of the shower heads (every 3 months they must be soaked in 100ppm bleach) and flushing the potable water piping with a 2-4ppm chlorine level water. This level is still healthy, but is in the "tastable" range. For this reason, and the need to remove the shower heads and soak them for an hour, they do this without passengers onboard. Before the passengers come on board, the water has had the chlorine dissipate down to the normal 0.5ppm.

First off, there is no chlorine gas being used. The ship always uses sodium hypochloride (bleach) to sanitize the water, and it is always present in the water at concentrations of at least 0.5ppm. Because the Majesty had a previous problem with legionella in some shower heads, they are increasing the frequency of maintenance of the shower heads (every 3 months they must be soaked in 100ppm bleach) and flushing the potable water piping with a 2-4ppm chlorine level water. This level is still healthy, but is in the "tastable" range. For this reason, and the need to remove the shower heads and soak them for an hour, they do this without passengers onboard. Before the passengers come on board, the water has had the chlorine dissipate down to the normal 0.5ppm.

Thank you for an excellent reply.

Thank you for an excellent reply.

I should amend that to say that the 3-month shower head maintenance is required for all ships, and I think the Majesty has increased this to monthly, so every cruise a portion of the cabins will be affected.

I should amend that to say that the 3-month shower head maintenance is required for all ships, and I think the Majesty has increased this to monthly, so every cruise a portion of the cabins will be affected.

A question that perhaps you might be able to answer.

If a cause of the delayed sailing was due to life jackets that were in a poor condition, who aboard the ship is responsible for allowing this? Is this not a major function of the Staff Captain and at least one of the 2nd Officers responsible for safety issues aboard a vessel to monitor such safety devices?

Or, does Royal Caribbean operate differently from other companies with which I am familiar?

A question that perhaps you might be able to answer.

If a cause of the delayed sailing was due to life jackets that were in a poor condition, who aboard the ship is responsible for allowing this? Is this not a major function of the Staff Captain and at least one of the 2nd Officers responsible for safety issues aboard a vessel to monitor such safety devices?

Or, does Royal Caribbean operate differently from other companies with which I am familiar?

The lifejackets would be inspected monthly by a 3rd Officer or two, who report to the Staff Captain, who reports to the Captain. I suspect that the USCG had a different interpretation of what was "worn" than what the ship's management felt. This is a fairly common occurrence with PSC inspections, and can happen on the best maintained ships. The PSC inspectors (USCG) are the final arbiters, and basically what they say is law, sort of like US CBP, which makes their own rules as they go.

The lifejackets would be inspected monthly by a 3rd Officer or two, who report to the Staff Captain, who reports to the Captain. I suspect that the USCG had a different interpretation of what was "worn" than what the ship's management felt. This is a fairly common occurrence with PSC inspections, and can happen on the best maintained ships. The PSC inspectors (USCG) are the final arbiters, and basically what they say is law, sort of like US CBP, which makes their own rules as they go.

Thanks again for your factual information. It's nice to get real info.

Is it something in the pipes that is causing a build up of this specific bacteria? Seems suspicious to me...especially if they aren't doing this monthly cleaning on other ships?

Is it something in the pipes that is causing a build up of this specific bacteria? Seems suspicious to me...especially if they aren't doing this monthly cleaning on other ships?

It is something that can grow in shower heads, where the water and air mix, which is what the bacteria requires. It can happen at home in your shower heads as well. Because of the amount of maintenance the USPH requires (the 3-month shower head sanitizing), outbreaks of legionella are rare on the ships, but I think that RCI is being proactively cautious, to prevent a repeat of the contamination. I also believe that due to the short duration of the cruise, the ship bunkers a lot of water from shore, and RCI is being cautious with this water as well.

We can board at 10:30am again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About your upcoming travels

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some good news regarding your sailing on Monday, February 20, onboard Majesty of the Seas.

You may recall our previous communication regarding our delayed boarding. We were able to revert back to our original check-in time as listed on your documents. Check-in for your cruise will now take place between 10:30 AM – 7:30 PM. This will allow you to enjoy the ship’s many amenities before departure.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

I thought no one could be on the ship when they wash out the water system? Either way, I am one happy first-time cruiser! I feel awful for the people on this week's cruise. They were stuck in Port Canaveral until Tuesday at 5:30pm, had a half day at Nassau on Wednesday and today Cococay got cancelled due to winds. So sad for them.