Majesty delay

The Majesty sailing on February 20th has a delayed boarding between 5:30-7:30 PM. I was wondering if anyone ever boarded a ship this late and what/when happens with the safety drill. People will be wanting to eat supper, get to their rooms. Seems like it will be a circus.

We sailed Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan and the ship departed at 8:30pm. Muster drills are mandated by the Coast Guard so guess what? They are late. :) For some people, it was after dinner. For some, before dinner. You just have to manage and be flexible.

Remember...it's vacation so just roll with it. :)

The Majesty sailing on February 20th has a delayed boarding between 5:30-7:30 PM. I was wondering if anyone ever boarded a ship this late and what/when happens with the safety drill. People will be wanting to eat supper, get to their rooms. Seems like it will be a circus.

Why a delayed boarding? We are getting off the ship that day, not on so I am just curious!

We sailed Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan and the ship departed at 8:30pm. Muster drills are mandated by the Coast Guard so guess what? They are late. :) For some people, it was after dinner. For some, before dinner. You just have to manage and be flexible.

Remember...it's vacation so just roll with it. :)

I think the point of the OP is that normally the Majesty sails around 4:30, boarding begins around

11 am. The time the OP lists means there is definitely something wrong being that late.

Sail away in places like Seward Alaska and San Juan PR have late sail away times, with

a normal departure for them around 8:30. This makes muster around 7-7:30. We have

experienced both ports. Indeed it messes with dinner time. On those sailings, we just

eat in the WJ.

Your time for boarding MJ is definitely way off normal boarding/sail time. Must be something

wrong indeed.

Yes, that's the reason. All they said in the email is they have to conduct important routine maintenance. To me, if its routine then why no one on the ship at that time. It makes no difference to me because this is not my first cruise. A first timer would probably be very upset, because they are basically missing over half a day. Plus I still don't see how they will get people to muster while still boarding the ship or leave their dinner to muster. It will be a Kodak moment.

I will be the first to give you a direct, first -hand response.

Yes, this happened to me on the Majesty in November. The reason was maintenance on the water system that involves the use of chlorine. Chlorine gas is highly toxic. They don't want passengers on board while chlorine is being used.

Dinner is available when you board. Open seating. Muster drill takes place around 7. Yes, possibly right in the middle of your meal. ;)

The good news is that it's a short, MAJESTY cruise. Lots and lots of passengers have the drink package. Most were smashed before muster, and no one seemed to be bothered by the inconvenience.

:D

When this happened to you in November, what happened on boarding day? I am scheduled to arrive at Port Canaveral at 10am with my three young daughters (ages 6, 5 and 1). Did people still arrive early? Is there anything to do at Port Canaveral within walking distance? Will RC take your luggage early? What time did they really start boarding? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are first time cruisers and we are taking three young kids. I was nervous before this happened, now I am really nervous!!!

When this happened to you in November, what happened on boarding day? I am scheduled to arrive at Port Canaveral at 10am with my three young daughters (ages 6, 5 and 1). Did people still arrive early? Is there anything to do at Port Canaveral within walking distance? Will RC take your luggage early? What time did they really start boarding? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are first time cruisers and we are taking three young kids. I was nervous before this happened, now I am really nervous!!!

Not sure how you are getting to the port but you could drop off your luggage and then just take a taxi to a beach and spend a relaxing afternoon on the beach with your kids.

There are multiple restaurants along the water front, plus Exploration Tower, just outside the terminal with easy walking

distance. Trouble will be your carry on bags of course.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely worried about luggage. We will have a stroller, a car seat, 2 large bags, and each have a carry on bag. I don't think we will be able to lug it all to a restaurant! I actually called Port Canaveral and they didn't think I would have anywhere to drop my luggage off. They are not opening the terminal until 5:30 :( I guess we will be spending the day at the hotel. We are flying in the night before and staying at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport. I just hope my car service can accommodate a later arrival to the port. Sigh. Sad to lose a full day of a 4 day vacation. I hope RC makes this right with an onboard credit. So far they have said they aren't doing anything for us.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely worried about luggage. We will have a stroller, a car seat, 2 large bags, and each have a carry on bag. I don't think we will be able to lug it all to a restaurant! I actually called Port Canaveral and they didn't think I would have anywhere to drop my luggage off. They are not opening the terminal until 5:30 :( I guess we will be spending the day at the hotel. We are flying in the night before and staying at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport. I just hope my car service can accommodate a later arrival to the port. Sigh. Sad to lose a full day of a 4 day vacation. I hope RC makes this right with an onboard credit. So far they have said they aren't doing anything for us.

That's a shame. I am guessing you are not the only one having to scramble due to this at the last

minute. :( Are you sure you are not able to drop your bags with the porters early? They may be

accepting checked bags, even if the terminal is not open?

Instead of using a car service why not look at a one way car rental. It would then give you all kinds of options.

Instead of using a car service why not look at a one way car rental. It would then give you all kinds of options.

That's what I would do as well!

Also, from what I've read when this has been posted previously, there won't be OBC given for this. Sorry....

Geez!! I haven't even boarded yet...how can they know what they'll have to fix when I leave!! [emoji12]

Previous experience. :p They also probably figure it'll be difficult to get you off the ship. It usually is.

Hey - I wonder if that means we can get off the ship later! (Kidding - I know they want us off as soon as possible to perform the maintenance and get the ship boarded again.)

Hi - I just contacted RCI so I may be able to shed some light.

First, you cannot drop your bags off early because of security reasons. Second, at this time there is no compensation for the inconvenience. And third, the dining hours will be adjusted. You will receive information on your new dining time for that evening when you board.

As far as what to do with luggage. Check with your hotel, they may be able to keep it for you. We are at the Best Western Cocoa Beach next to Cocoa Beach Pier. They will hold our luggage and give us keys to the pool while we wait. But we're hanging on the beach or in the bar until we go. :D Still good times.

Cruises are great no matter what time you board!

Edited by Iowa_Vike

I'm sorry, but I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't allowed to board the ship until 6PM with NO compensation for at least the cost of lunch! That's pretty horrible of RC to screw their customers like that, especially for a know maintenance issue. Flushing the pipes with chlorine and chlorine gas? I wouldn't want to drink or bathe in that water right after this was done. If the plumbing on the ship is that bad, perhaps they should take this ship out of commission. It's all about the almighty dollar with Royal it seems. I'm sure they don't prorate beverage packages or tips for that day, either.

After reading threads on people catching fraudulent charges on their credit card for mini bar stuff they didn't use and all the problems with their website, along with my own poor customer service experience on Freedom a few years ago, Royal is def not my first choice of cruise lines. Flame away!!!

I think from my questionable memory that another person got an email that said they were notified that scheduled maintenance was the reason for the delayed boarding. Are you a part of your roll call group? While the Majesty roll calls tend to be small, someone there might confirm. I'm speculating that dinner won't start till after the muster ends and there will be annnouncements made when boarding.

Edited by BillOh