anybody hung a hammock on their balcony?

one9marine

My family will be enjoying the Carnival Freedom on Spring Break, and my son asked me tonight, "So can I hang my hammock on the balcony?" I of course told him I had not thought about that, but I bet him that SOMEONE would have tried it, figured it out, AND posted pics of it on Cruisecritic. Lo and behold, I was RIGHT. Bad news is I cannot see the pic that was attached to this post, something about 3rd party hosting or such. So does someone have this pic (or pics) of hanging a hammock on a side (not aft) balcony specifically on the Freedom? Thanks in advance!

Here's a picture from the Freedom. On other classes it's not as easy to tie off the hammock as it is on Oasis class. Note the "C" clamp that I attached to the steel beam so that I could use that to tie off the hammock.

imagejpg5_zps624daaea.jpg

My family will be enjoying the Carnival Freedom on Spring Break, and my son asked me tonight, "So can I hang my hammock on the balcony?" I of course told him I had not thought about that, but I bet him that SOMEONE would have tried it, figured it out, AND posted pics of it on Cruisecritic. Lo and behold, I was RIGHT. Bad news is I cannot see the pic that was attached to this post, something about 3rd party hosting or such. So does someone have this pic (or pics) of hanging a hammock on a side (not aft) balcony specifically on the Freedom? Thanks in advance!

The photo says the “3rd party hosting” thing for me too; I can’t see it. The hammock idea is cool though. Some photos look comfortable, others (like the red & black hammock photo) look miserable and uncomfortable. It must depend on the type of hammock you buy.

Has anyone ever had luck hanging a hammock at the beach between trees? Costco sells a hammock that comes with hooks that make it easy to hang around anything sturdy and solid (like trees). People out here use them when camping or hiking, and just find two trees and string them up. I’m not sure I’ve been to a beach with easy access to 2 trees for a hammock though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm actually on Oasis right now in my hammock. Just a basic parachute hammock. Fits perfect between the 2 sides of a basic balcony. Now I have a D1 so my balcony is deeper, but it would with just fine in a regular balcony too

9dca6e8d9b0d5037cf8c85017cba965b.jpg

Basic straps

60c0a420d5a735cd30fea2fdba7c6164.jpg

My view

2ff6f86cb092c39ace621f07c5439a9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Any amazon links for recommendation on which hammock to buy? I also couldn’t view a lot of the posted pictures and didn’t love the look of red and black one unless maybe cold outside.

Any amazon links for recommendation on which hammock to buy? I also couldn’t view a lot of the posted pictures and didn’t love the look of red and black one unless maybe cold outside.

This is a good setup which includes straps. The orange/brown one is on sale for $9.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ITGEJOA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

That pic is a little misleading, a little person (my 14yo DS) was in it and purposely wrapped the sides around him.

For a normal-sized adult it really was quite comfortable, it doesn't wrap around you like that unless you want it to. :)

here is the link for that one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNL8V8C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just search "hammock" on Amazon and you'll see lots & lots of 'em -- I think the important thing to look for is the straps. These "looped" straps seem much easier to use than having to tie knots in a rope. You also want to look for a package that includes the straps & carabiners that is easy to bring along in your luggage.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have experience hanging one on wider balconies on Oasis class ships such as Accessible cabin 6636 (a hump so wider and deeper too) or some suite cabins have which are wider also. DH would love this but I have no idea what to buy as would fit differently than those pictured.

My cousin and his wife went on the liberty of the seas one year. They had a suite so the balcony was larger then the average width for a hammock. So he mistakingly secured one end to the main 4” drain pipe above.

Instantly he was covered with 3000 people’s poo, he said there was not one square inch of the balcony that was not brown.

Thank goodness his wife was not out there because she would have divorced him on the spot.

To make matters worse, Royal Caribbean charged his on board account over $400 for the damages.

Somehow they managed to clean the balcony and repair the whole pipe in under 2 hours.

I have yet to bring a hammock on board a ship.

• 1 month later...

We have done hammocks on the balconies for years, over 20 different ships.  No matter the configuration of the balcony, there is always somewhere to safely secure the loop straps.  It's one of our favorite things on a cruise!!  We've only had one cabin steward mention anything "negative" about it, but his only request was that we unhook it from the carabiners when we weren't in the cabin in case someone threw a cigarette off their balcony and it would cause the hammock to catch on fire quickly.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:12 AM, amscene1 said:

My cousin and his wife went on the liberty of the seas one year. They had a suite so the balcony was larger then the average width for a hammock. So he mistakingly secured one end to the main 4” drain pipe above.

Instantly he was covered with 3000 people’s poo, he said there was not one square inch of the balcony that was not brown.

Thank goodness his wife was not out there because she would have divorced him on the spot.

To make matters worse, Royal Caribbean charged his on board account over $400 for the damages.

Somehow they managed to clean the balcony and repair the whole pipe in under 2 hours.

I have yet to bring a hammock on board a ship.

I know this post is a couple months old however those pipes that run on the outside of the ship are not waste drains that carry human waste.  They collect water from the balconies and upper decks.  The waste pipes that carry human waste are a vacuum system that runs on the interior of the ship.

No doubt the water that was inside of the pipes was brown but it was not human waste.

Edited by Ourusualbeach