Experiences with Cruise Critics Meet & Greet on Carnival

I Luv Crusin

I am cruising on the February 26th Journey from Tampa to Baltimore. There are many activities planned planned through this group and others. I would like to know when the ship is going to hold the CC M&G for planning purposes. When we cruised in October one of our members haunted the Guest Services counter. They had not even had the CC M&G on the docket.

What have been your experiences with getting it scheduled or an invite or the actual M&G?

TIA

Our experience has been mixed since CC started making the arrangements on the members behalf.

In March '16 & June '16 on the Pride it was held on the afternoon of our 2nd sea day, which was perfect. Those doing the poker cabin crawl and door decorating contest were able to distribute the prizes as part of the festivities. Also people that arranged to share private tours were able to meet and discuss final plans.

On the other hand the Sept '16 Pride cruise and the Nov '16 Vista cruise the meet-n-greet was not held until the second to last sea day. Both of those were poorly attended by guests (less than a quarter of those that signed up), mostly because by then many of us had met at other pre-arranged gathers like the slot tournament or the Pub crawl. The lack of communication from CC to Carnival pre-cruise added to the failure, we checked daily at GS for updates and they kept reporting they did not even have the guest list until 3 days into the cruise. Also the event was only mentioned as part of the time line of activities in the printed FunTimes, with more people relying on the Carnival Hub version many never saw the notice.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

On the Magic last Oct. 15 and the New Years Eve cruise on the Vista, Both Roll Calls had more then the 25 sign ups but no M&M on either ship. Asked at the Service desk and the girl had no information and could find none. So much for Carnival working with CC guests. I'm signed up for the 3/17/17/ cruise on the Sunshine.only 22 sign ups so far. I don't hold to much hope for this M&M getting off the ground. They sound like a fun time, I wish they would turn out better. Just one note to add. If Carnival is told that there are 40 CC guests signed up and they prepare for 40 people and only 6 show up can't really blame them for not taking CC M&M seriously.

That's too bad. Back 2010 we had about 20 people meet up. It was fun to see the people from our roll call. I still am in contact with 5 of them still on Facebook. My current roll call I'm not feeling we will have a M&M....no one is really chatting back and forth. We have 50 days until our cruise...maybe the comments will pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had 50+ signed up for ours through here, about 6 showed up. Carnival did wonderful on their end. Our CD Ben was there with us, lots of snacks/drinks for people in a private room. I did talk to someone afterward and asked why they didn't come and they said they didn't see it in the Fun Times. It clearly was though because I saw it. They must not have looked in the right place or just skimmed through.

We'll do something a little different on our next one outside of CC since we have a roll call going elsewhere.

Actually there is nothing stopping members here from planning an informal M-n-G while on board. Though you don't get free non-alcoholic refreshments, snacks, or members of the crew to organize it, a lounge for a private meeting can be reserved through John Heald's social media book page for any reason.

Just talk to your other roll call members, figure out a time for a meet up (not on embarkation day), then post to JH's page 4 days before the cruise asking for a meeting place. Him or 1 of his assistants will post back about the location based on the number of people interested. Be sure to include a headcount (need at least a dozen interested) and if you would like pay as you go bar service (need at least 24 people), and a suggestion as to why (pray meetung, casual get together, family meeting) that they can try to match the lounge as best as possible to the group.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but ours was a dud! Carnival had the meet & greet, it was in the Funtimes, and we had at least 30 - 40 people signed up, but only 10 showed up. There were cookies, coffee and lemonade and the cruise director showed up. Unfortunately, it turned into a complaint fest to the cruise director, about reservations, carnival payments, etc. He's a cruise director, not the VP for Carnival. So all of the complaints I've heard about the CC meet and greets, and Carnival came thru, but it wasn't worth it to me. :(

Our experience has been mixed since CC started making the arrangements on the members behalf.

In March '16 & June '16 on the Pride it was held on the afternoon of our 2nd sea day, which was perfect. Those doing the poker cabin crawl and door decorating contest were able to distribute the prizes as part of the festivities. Also people that arranged to share private tours were able to meet and discuss final plans.

On the other hand the Sept '16 Pride cruise and the Nov '16 Vista cruise the meet-n-greet was not held until the second to last sea day. Both of those were poorly attended by guests (less than a quarter of those that signed up), mostly because by then many of us had met at other pre-arranged gathers like the slot tournament or the Pub crawl. The lack of communication from CC to Carnival pre-cruise added to the failure, we checked daily at GS for updates and they kept reporting they did not even have the guest list until 3 days into the cruise. Also the event was only mentioned as part of the time line of activities in the printed FunTimes, with more people relying on the Carnival Hub version many never saw the notice.

Four cruises in a year? I want your life! #CruiseEnvy

We had enough people for a M&G on our Vista cruise last year. Nothing was done on board. Carnival claimed CC never contacted them. We've done a few on RCL but never Carnival. It seems like the best bet is still an information meet.

I was on a B2B2B on the Pride in Sept and Oct. A CC Meet & Greet was held on all three legs. Someone from our group went to Guest Services to make sure they would be held. She had the list of names. You should have a contact person. I served as that person on the second and third legs. You just need to be a little proactive.

Four cruises in a year? I want your life! #CruiseEnvy

Actually you don't. The cruises were well subsidized for me by various extended family members as a way to mark certain milestones during cancer treatment. At this point I have another 3 months of treatment till my next milestone and my next cruise. Just before that cruise I will find out just how much longer I will have treatments and or surgeries.

I am cruising on the February 26th Journey from Tampa to Baltimore. There are many activities planned planned through this group and others. I would like to know when the ship is going to hold the CC M&G for planning purposes. When we cruised in October one of our members haunted the Guest Services counter. They had not even had the CC M&G on the docket.

What have been your experiences with getting it scheduled or an invite or the actual M&G?

TIA

The Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle on our Sunshine sailing was not well attended by the members of CC. Lots had signed up but only 8 people attended. The rest were a part of the Facebook group and said that they preferred to do their own Meet and Mingle at the Red Frog Pub at the same time. It was sad to see such a thin attendance.

The hotel director Freddie Esquival and Entertainment director, Trent, hosted the Meet and Mingle. They chatted with us and answered questions.We had a good laugh at the pompous diamond member who was grilling Freddie as to why his stateroom door did not have a plaque saying "This Stateroom is Occupied by a Diamond Member"! He wanted a similar sign made up for his dinner table in the MDR. We had a good laugh about this guy, seems he had come to complain more than mingle!

The M&M we had on the Vista Jan 28th cruise we had 10 people eventually show up. And of those I think 2 couples got a note in their cabin mail box. We did not. The person that was waiting at the door said that they gave the note to those that signed up a group of people. That wasn't true because one of those that got one only signed up for 2. And so did we. We had over 65 people signed up and 10 show. I think both CC and Carnival are at fault. We probably will not go to one again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Glory last November. We had a pretty active Roll Call group, and we decided to meet up on the first sea day to do a cabin crawl, which was coordinated by one of our members and fairly well attended. Carnival scheduled our Meet and Mingle for the last sea day --way too late.And right before early seating dinner.:( No invitations were sent; you had to notice it in the "Fun Times." Only a couple of people showed up. We chatted with the cruise director and the activities director. Big let down.

seems like this should be on the first day. We were a little interested in this just to see about introducing our son to other kids on the boat. If this doesn't happen till part way through the trip it really reduces it's value to us.

Our M&M was on the last elegant night 30 minutes before first seating started. They couldnt have even possibly picked a worse time. It was well attended but people were rushed and I am of the opinion that Carnival does this so on purpose in hopes the M&M will fail miserably.

The best meetings to me are the roll call group meetings or the Facebook group meetings. They are generally the first day at a bar an hour or so before Muster.

On the Vista 1-14-17 cruise, the CC Meet-up was on the 1st Sea Day in the Piano Bar. only around 8-10 showed up. While there were pastries , coffee, tea and juice, no staff were present. No one from Carnival came by. We talked amongst ourselves for about a 1/2 hour. It was nice and met lots of nice folks whom we saw at various points throughout the cruise, but no where near the 30+ that signed up. I've been on privately arranged Meet & greets where there have been, 80 people or 3. So it varies.

Had one yesterday which was the 2nd port day (Belize) at 5pm on Freedom. 12-15 people showed. CD and another carnival employee was there to chat with us. I didn't notice any food or beverages if they had them but I had brought my own beverage and had to leave for dinner after about an hour.

It was the best one I've seen though. I've seen nobody show up for one and I've had a few cruises where we didn't have one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums