Specific Cabin Number Booked vs a Guaranteed Room

Leslaf

The Royal Caribbean sale ends tonight and I wanted to get an Alaska cruise booked for this August.

I booked one cruise this morning for early August for a Large Oceanview Room but I could not book a specific cabin number. They just told me it was a guaranteed Large Oceanview Room and that we would find out our cabin number once we arrived at the ship.

Since it is an Alaska cruise we really want to have a room on the port side of the ship as we are sailing Southbound from Seward so we can see the scenery from our cabin window.

I'm worried that with this booking that we will get a room on the starboard side instead and they don't take any sort of requests on the reservation.

Since we are flexible with our dates and I can cancel my previous reservation, I booked the same cruise again today for later in August. For this cruise I was able to book a cabin on the port side of the ship.

I will cancel one of these reservations but wanted to know any of your experiences with just having a guaranteed booking rather than a specific cabin number. Has anyone received their cabin number when they arrived to ship and then managed to have it changed? Any type of info or opinions would be appreciated.

One other question - the Cabin number I have booked on Radiance of the Seas is 3140 on Deck 3 right at the back of the ship (yikes). Does anyone know if there will be lots of noise from ship's engines at the rear of the ship? Probably a silly question, but I have to ask since it may help in decision as to which cruise to cancel.

Thanks!

The Royal Caribbean sale ends tonight and I wanted to get an Alaska cruise booked for this August.

I booked one cruise this morning for early August for a Large Oceanview Room but I could not book a specific cabin number. They just told me it was a guaranteed Large Oceanview Room and that we would find out our cabin number once we arrived at the ship.

Since it is an Alaska cruise we really want to have a room on the port side of the ship as we are sailing Southbound from Seward so we can see the scenery from our cabin window.

I'm worried that with this booking that we will get a room on the starboard side instead and they don't take any sort of requests on the reservation.

Since we are flexible with our dates and I can cancel my previous reservation, I booked the same cruise again today for later in August. For this cruise I was able to book a cabin on the port side of the ship.

I will cancel one of these reservations but wanted to know any of your experiences with just having a guaranteed booking rather than a specific cabin number. Has anyone received their cabin number when they arrived to ship and then managed to have it changed? Any type of info or opinions would be appreciated.

One other question - the Cabin number I have booked on Radiance of the Seas is 3140 on Deck 3 right at the back of the ship (yikes). Does anyone know if there will be lots of noise from ship's engines at the rear of the ship? Probably a silly question, but I have to ask since it may help in decision as to which cruise to cancel.

Thanks!

If you must have a specific location for a cabin DO NOT book a guarantee room.

You might get lucky and have your cabin assigned early and it might be on the right side of the ship or their might be cabins left that you can switch to BUT there might not be and there is no way of knowing what will happen on your cruise.

It's also pretty much guaranteed that if your cabin gets assigned at the pier you will not be able to change it.

Our last "guarantee" was a nicer cabin but just below the Windjammer Cafe. I need not tell you I was quite disappointed in hearing chairs being shuffled all morning, Save your $$$$ and go with what you can see on the deck plans. BTW, this was a "suite". Never again.

Thanks!

Just curious why You could not choose your cabin number? Are there no rooms left?

We booked a guarantee cabin for our first cruise, and it was only a few weeks before sailing. We got the first cabin on the very front of the ship, which im sure was a harder cabin to fill. That's usually the way it goes...the guarantee cabins are assigned with the harder to fill cabins. That's why its cheaper. We were ok with this cabin, but the view was also a bit obstructed by the bridge which was right diagonally above us. We wouldn't do a guarantee again just because picking your cabin is only a few more bucks and I wouldn't want a noisy cabin. That would be the worst.

In my experience, RCI is much faster at assigning rooms than other lines. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you see your room assignment by tomorrow. Don't get your hopes up.....that's just my experience.

If you don't like your room, RCI will let you change to another open room in the same category they assigned you.

We just had the opposite happen. Our ocean view balcony guaranty became an inside cabin due to overbooking. Oh yes, the website wanted us to pay for the D+ balcony discount plus more $$$.

We've done a bundle of guaranty cabins and been happy. Did get to switch cruise dates, for a price increase matched with OBC.

I'm still not happy but my cats will be glad I'm home next week.

Think RCI will be doing this overbooking more and more as I see posts where folks are still waiting a cabin assignment closer and closer to sail date. At least Princess offers move overs that are sweeter for the inconvienced customer. RCI says too bad, so sad.

Recommend you book the cruise and cabin you want after my experience.

Just curious why You could not choose your cabin number? Are there no rooms left?

We booked a guarantee cabin for our first cruise, and it was only a few weeks before sailing. We got the first cabin on the very front of the ship, which im sure was a harder cabin to fill. That's usually the way it goes...the guarantee cabins are assigned with the harder to fill cabins. That's why its cheaper. We were ok with this cabin, but the view was also a bit obstructed by the bridge which was right diagonally above us. We wouldn't do a guarantee again just because picking your cabin is only a few more bucks and I wouldn't want a noisy cabin. That would be the worst.

Last night when I was looking at the cruise, there were cabin numbers I could pick. When I went in this morning those were no longer available so I called today. They said I could only book a guaranteed room which means I will get a Oceanview Room so honestly I don't know if they just hope people cancel or what happens? This guaranteed room was the same price, it wasn't any cheaper.

Have any of you had a cabin at the back of the ship? The room number I do have booked is 3 rooms from the back on Deck 3. Would it be noisy back there, humming of engines?

... Have any of you had a cabin at the back of the ship? The room number I do have booked is 3 rooms from the back on Deck 3. Would it be noisy back there, humming of engines?

Not noisy, but you may get more vibration back there than you would farther forward.

Last night when I was looking at the cruise, there were cabin numbers I could pick. When I went in this morning those were no longer available so I called today. They said I could only book a guaranteed room which means I will get a Oceanview Room so honestly I don't know if they just hope people cancel or what happens? This guaranteed room was the same price, it wasn't any cheaper.

Have any of you had a cabin at the back of the ship? The room number I do have booked is 3 rooms from the back on Deck 3. Would it be noisy back there, humming of engines?

I just got back from a cruise last week on Radiance (she's sailing Australia & New Zealand during the summer down under). We sat at lunch with a couple who had a room on Deck 3 - Aft and they said the engine vibration was horrible. The whole cabin shook and creaked the entire time. We had rough seas on the way to Tasmania from Sydney one night and they said the noise was deafening. We were on deck 8 somewhat mid-ship / aft and we could feel and hear the engine noise & vibration as we walked to our cabin from the back. I can only imagine how bad it was for the lower decks.

Thanks!

On Radiance Deck 3 aft is not a full deck for staterooms. 3140 is not all the way aft - it's actually just a little beyond the midway point between the aft elevators and the actual aft of the ship. You will see this if you compare the deck 3 plans to an upper deck. I have been in 3639 and it was one of the best inside cabins I've ever had. Super quiet area except for embarkation afternoon when deck 3 luggage was being transported down the hall.

The way you are describing it, I would guess they are overbooking and counting on cancellations to fill your room. Which honestly would concern me, an above poster said they ended up with a downgrade this way.

As for the noise, I was more referring to a room underneath the buffet, pool, dance club, or by the kitchens. However, we had a NIGHTMARE trip in an aft suite on the Carnival Pride due to vibrations. Deafening noise and feeling like we were trapped in a paint shaker for 7 days. From what I understand, vibration aft is not an issue on every ship. We sailed aft on the Allure and had zero issues. However our Pride trip was the vacation from hell and we would never book another aft cabin because of it. Thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203254

Thanks everyone. I called RCI just now and on my set room reservation I was able to switch rooms to 3012 in the forward part of the ship on the port side which is what I wanted.

I will cancel my Guaranteed Room for the other sailing and just go with my room above.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks everyone. I called RCI just now and on my set room reservation I was able to switch rooms to 3012 in the forward part of the ship on the port side which is what I wanted.

I will cancel my Guaranteed Room for the other sailing and just go with my room above.

I appreciate the help!

This was the best move to make sure you got what you wanted. GTY's are a real crapshoot. In the US you can game the system a bit if there are open rooms, but there may not be and moving may be cost prohibitive.

Nice, congrats on the move. "Guaranteed" is such a misnomer. They should call it "Pot Luck".

I prefer selecting my exact cabin/suite. If not available, I will try a different sailing date. Thankfully, I book as far in advance as possible, buy the cruise insurance for "just in case" ( which actually did happen to us once!).

Closer to sail away date increases issues. I undestand folks have different things to manage in scheduling but go for the exact cabin/suite in lieu of Pot Luck, IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise!

Nice, congrats on the move. "Guaranteed" is such a misnomer. They should call it "Pot Luck".

I prefer selecting my exact cabin/suite. If not available, I will try a different sailing date. Thankfully, I book as far in advance as possible, buy the cruise insurance for "just in case" ( which actually did happen to us once!).

Closer to sail away date increases issues. I undestand folks have different things to manage in scheduling but go for the exact cabin/suite in lieu of Pot Luck, IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise!

When I called today to change my cabin the woman on the phone said that their ships are doing very well now and that they are pretty full so better to have the specific cabin number rather than a guaranteed room.

BTW, the sale has been extended for 2 more days, go figure!!

I appreciate the help!

Good to hear you got what you wanted...

This next part I say to you with the utmost sincerity and respect so please don't take as an insult...

It's an utter waste of time to watch Alaska go by from your tiny window on the 3rd deck. You will spend very little time there imho. Do plan to be up top deck with almost 360 degree views all around you with the most incredible natural scenery you will ever see. This is Radiance of the Seas sailing under Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge... your cabin 3012 is where the large arrow is pointing to

DSC08606_zpsxbmvql0t.jpg

While the following photo is not Alaska, this is the Serenade of the Seas (sister ship to Radiance) and the view out of a deck 3 window cabin.... note how low to the water you are with limited site line, and wait for the salt to start sticking to the window and you will see even less.

DSC08154_zpsce0def04.jpg

DSC00301_zps751d827a.jpg

You will not be seeing anthing like this from from your tiny window while sitting at on your pillows of your bed

DSC03459_zpsf91c5816.jpg

DSC03578_zps3942c543.jpg

Again, I warmly urge you as strongly as I can to not spend too much time looking out your window. You will not know at all what you have missed otherwise. Have a great cruise! :D

Thanks Hoopster95 for the great advice and pictures! No insult taken at all. I enjoy the great responses on this thread. Most definitely we plan on being out of the room as much as possible to take in the amazing scenery!:)

I picked my room because I wanted cabin near the elevators because my husband is older and walking is a problem. However when I read my receipt for the cruise it says the cabin number and after that says in brackets...(not guaranteed). Don't understand.

I picked my room because I wanted cabin near the elevators because my husband is older and walking is a problem. However when I read my receipt for the cruise it says the cabin number and after that says in brackets...(not guaranteed). Don't understand.

One possibility that comes to mind is that you've booked a cabin that holds more than two people or is designated a special needs cabin. In either case, someone needing the amenities of these cabins could result in you being moved to a two-person cabin.