Phone?

Plant

We'll be in Sydney for 7 days. We'd like to have a phone for calling taxi's, the hotel, emergencies, etc.

What would you recommend? I've seen post's about Vodaphone, Aldi's phone, etc., but I can't figure out what would be best for our very minimal needs. We really might not use it at all.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Most US oriented companies have very reasonable international plans. For example, ATT has, for $10/day only if you use it- no charge if you don't you get your phone plan extended to over 100 countries. In our case, unlimited texting and talk, and 6GB of data. We will be signing up for it this week, as we will be out of the country 3 times for about 30 days total this year.

It seems to me, if you were on ATT, and were only going to use it for a couple of phone calls, this plan would be cheaper than buying a sim card or throw away phone.

Most US oriented companies have very reasonable international plans. For example, ATT has, for $10/day only if you use it- no charge if you don't you get your phone plan extended to over 100 countries. In our case, unlimited texting and talk, and 6GB of data. We will be signing up for it this week, as we will be out of the country 3 times for about 30 days total this year.

It seems to me, if you were on ATT, and were only going to use it for a couple of phone calls, this plan would be cheaper than buying a sim card or throw away phone.

This feature can be added to one phone or both (hubby and wife) so, if the OP used his/her phone once a day it would add $70. to their overall bill. And, if he sent a text to his wife's phone each day, it would add up to $20/day or $140. for the week. The ATT Passport addon is $40/month with free texting, $1/min voice and 200mb data. Much better for calling uber or looking at a map, IMO.

Edited by thinfool

I believe Verizon has a similar plan. The advantage of these plans is you get to keep your number so that you don't have to give your contacts a new number, good for only your 7 day trip.

Of course the disadvantage is it's more expensive if you use it every day, but it sounds like the OP isn't going to do that.

Maybe I should be more clear??

We just need one phone to use for one week in Sydney. We don't need to call the US, don't need the web, don't need to text, etc. We just want to be able to call the hotel, a taxi, 911 (if needed!).

If there were still phone booth's available we wouldn't need cell phone at all!

Maybe I should be more clear??

We just need one phone to use for one week in Sydney. We don't need to call the US, don't need the web, don't need to text, etc. We just want to be able to call the hotel, a taxi, 911 (if needed!).

If there were still phone booth's available we wouldn't need cell phone at all!

Well - there are phone booths - everywhere. Hotels also have phones.

And 911 doesnt exist here so dialing that will get you nowhere. Try 000.

Meanwhile all you actually need - as already mentioned in other posts - is to bring your own unlocked phone and pop a sim card in when you arrive - that can be bought at the airport.

Meanwhile all you actually need - as already mentioned in other posts - is to bring your own unlocked phone and pop a sim card in when you arrive - that can be bought at the airport.
Exactly. This is perfect for what the OP wants.

In addition to the airport, the networks have plenty of shops all over town at which you can pick up a pre-pay SIM.

Well - there are phone booths - everywhere. Hotels also have phones.

And 911 doesnt exist here so dialing that will get you nowhere. Try 000.

Exactly. This is perfect for what the OP wants.

In addition to the airport, the networks have plenty of shops all over town at which you can pick up a pre-pay SIM.

Thank you! That's just the info I needed :) !