Formal Night

camper49

If hubby did not wear a jacket ...but wore dress pants,nice shirt &tie on formal night ...would that be ok?
He won't be turned away but he might feel out of place. I rarely see gentlemen without at least jackets on formal nights. The vast majority of passengers respect the cruise line's dress request.

I am sure that he will be fine but on the many Princess cruises we have been on the dress code is mainly followed. That means most men wore at least jacket and ties, with a good number in tuxedos or traditional formal dress.

I far prefer to wear shorts which is great on NCL when MDR/Specialty dining but I accept that it is not so on Princess. In that case I am willing to wear a suit; however I will probably take off my jacket and put it on the back of my chair especially if the room is warm. After all "When in Rome .... (well, when on Princess ...)"

Yes, for the umpteenth time, the dress code is not strictly enforced.

And also yes, in my experience at least, the vast majority of men in the MDR will be dressed to code. On the Grand last month, I purposely did a walk-around at late Traditional and there were few men without jackets, even fewer without ties. Just a fact.

Since it's usually chilly in the dining room, I often wear a sweater or jacket anyway. I have, actually, no idea why a simple sports coat causes fear and loathing among a subgroup of men. (I also have no idea why some men think that wearing a baseball cap while dining at the equivalent of a nice restaurant is acceptable. But that's another story.)

If hubby did not wear a jacket ...but wore dress pants,nice shirt &tie on formal night ...would that be ok?

Of course he'll be fine. Even Princess says in their literature that he will. Read it for yourself. It's under "Packing for Your Cruise".

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away

breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt

for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good

idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more

formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes

(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring

an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

Edited by floridalover5623

I far prefer to wear shorts which is great on NCL when MDR/Specialty dining but I accept that it is not so on Princess. In that case I am willing to wear a suit; however I will probably take off my jacket and put it on the back of my chair especially if the room is warm. After all "When in Rome .... (well, when on Princess ...)"

Some may be surprised at my opinion on sport coats and suit jackets, but they are bulky in luggage, rarely unpack well and are usually creased or wrinkled up mess after being in a suitcase for hours on end. If they get unpacked soon enough after arriving they sometimes recover on their own, but that is always a bit of a crap shoot.

So, during formal nights, I wear the jacket, but it gets taken off and hung on the back of my chair as soon as we are seated for dinner. Eating food while wearing a jacket is cumbersome, and I'm prone to get food on the one article of clothing I'm wearing that is the least easy to clean.

So, for me the sport coat is the men's equivalent of a women's shawl or loose fitting sweater. It is an accoutrement to the rest of the outfit, but basically unnecessary in most circumstances.

Sure. That would be acceptable for the MDR. Formal night is about dressing up and it's also about being comfortable in what you are wearing. Not everyone enjoys keeping their coat or jacket on, so if your husband is comfortable that's good.

I don't wear a dress jacket on formal nights and have never been given any trouble during our cruises on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. In fact, I don't even pack it any more. Dress shirt, tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Best part is that on one cruise all of the guys at our table took off our ties mid meal and nothing was said about it.

The dress code is always an interesting discussion on here with the fashion police claiming you will be tar and feathered if men don't wear a suit which is false. So personally being a male I wear my khaki dockers and a buttoned shirt. I have never worn a tie and threw the ones I did own away years ago since I no longer had to wear them at work. I used to take my blazer, wore it in, put it on the back of my chair and carried it out. I decided that was beyond dumb so I quit bringing it several years ago. The cruises last year I switched to my guayabera shirt and dockers and have had no problem including the British Isles and TA cruise last fall. I have never been alone wearing only the dockers and shirt by any means nor have I heard a word from the MDR staff. So wear what you feel is appropriate but looking like a penguin is not required.

Most men wear a coat, which is the norm.

Think of it like "would this be appropriate to wear to a wedding?"

You will also find some differences based on where the ship is sailing and for how long. Alaska might be more casual, Northern Europe much more formal. Traditional dining is usually more formal than Anytime, and other venues accept casual. First formal night is usually more formal than later ones.

We're taking a eastbound trans- Atlantic cruise soon and spending some land time in Europe afterwards.

Clearly, schlepping a tux and evening gown through Europe is not on our agenda.

We'll try to be neat, but formal is simply not an option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by loge23
Na

One thing to keep in mind is dressing up on formal nights is only expected in the main dining rooms.

Casual dress is always acceptable at the buffet or in specialty restaurants. That's where you'll find a large percentage of passengers, particularly on formal nights.

We're taking a eastbound trans- Atlantic cruise soon and spending some land time in Europe afterwards.

Thats whats great about Princess....lots of alternative choices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Tux is not necessary. Just wear what you would expect to wear at a nice restaurant & perhaps a show.

If you forgo the DR on formal nights for the buffet be aware that you'll be missing out on some of the better meals they offer,

especially when true formal dress is not mandatory.

Outside of the Lobster/Beef Wellington on the last formal night, we thought Horizon's on the Regal had some pretty nice choices. Much better than the Eclipse offers. Both MDR's are pretty close. The Eclipse MDR food this year was a major let down. Still booked it next Jan. for the itinerary, however.