Beer on British Isles cruises

jimdod

My wife and I both are a bit of beer snobs. We keep hoping Princess will get some decent beer. It would be a nice change.

My husband too! He wishes he could bring beer on board, like you can do with a bottle of wine or champagne.

He was excited when Princess came out with their own beers, but he didn't like their IPA and was surprised he could tolerate their Red. In the end, I don't think he likes any of the beers Princess offers. He finds other things to drink when we are cruising.

Any local beer to try in port, if not offered aboard?

We try the local beer wherever we go whether in ports or on land trips. We have found some very nice brews here and there. If you ever do an Alaska cruisetour be sure to check out the brewery in Talkeetna. :D

My husband too! He wishes he could bring beer on board, like you can do with a bottle of wine or champagne.

He was excited when Princess came out with their own beers, but he didn't like their IPA and was surprised he could tolerate their Red. In the end, I don't think he likes any of the beers Princess offers. He finds other things to drink when we are cruising.

:Just wondered about the Beer the Beer which is drunk in the US most of Europe and other Countries is what we class as Lager British Beer is different Darker more full bodied and as the World knows not as ice cold as Lager When we go the the US or take a Cruise my Husband tends to drink Sam Adams which he finds to be the nearest taste to UK Beer when in the UK try John Smiths or Tetleys these are traditional Beers made from Hops and Barley

Interestingly on P&O there is now a beer menu with up to 80 beers from all over the UK. Bottled of course. There is now talk of having "real ale" on board. They are working at being able to keep the beer in good condition as it needs generally to be kept still to retain clarity. Ships do not generally stay totally stable, I have noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We try the local beer wherever we go whether in ports or on land trips. We have found some very nice brews here and there. If you ever do an Alaska cruisetour be sure to check out the brewery in Talkeetna. :D

Will try that if our Alaska plan next year push through. Missed that in 2012:(

Will explore first some in our BI cruise. Thanks for the tip.

:Just wondered about the Beer the Beer which is drunk in the US most of Europe and other Countries is what we class as Lager British Beer is different Darker more full bodied and as the World knows not as ice cold as Lager When we go the the US or take a Cruise my Husband tends to drink Sam Adams which he finds to be the nearest taste to UK Beer when in the UK try John Smiths or Tetleys these are traditional Beers made from Hops and Barley

Most of the "beer" that is consumed in the US is stuff we don't consider to actually qualify as beer. Budweiser, Coors, etc. are extremely popular here but not really anything we want to put into our mouths. Water, Barley, Hops, and Yeast make up beer.

We have a well-known brewery here in our home town. Sadly, the beer they are most well known for and which has become somewhat synonymous with the brewery is not their best brew by any means. Their best brews are the ones that we get on site and aren't generally made in huge batches and known far and wide. They make some really great beers but their "biggie" isn't really one of them.

I made beer in small batches (5 US gallons) for a number of years. I made an Oatmeal Stout that I wish I could buy commercially. My Brown Ale got excellent reviews from all who tried it. My BIL made some Imperial Stout that was to die for. We try all sorts of beer when we travel and, once in a while, we find something extraordinary. Depending on where we are traveling we don't really expect that. For instance sampling local beer in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia, etc. we really don't expect (and don't find) great beer.

Searching for great beer while traveling. It's a fun kind of hunt to be on. :D

Oh yeah, I had forgotten they had Sam Adams. That's OK.

We enjoy hitting up microbreweries, both locally at home, and throughout the West Coast. Hitting up Portland, OR was my favorite because we could check into our hotel, and start walking from one great brewery to another. So much fun!

Sadly what is considered USA beer is not quality beer (in my opinion), Budweiser, Coors, MGD. My husband likes the IPAs and I like some of them, but not the crazy hoppy ones, I tend to like the Porters and Stouts, but we will taste it all. We enjoy trying beer wherever we go.

Interestingly on P&O there is now a beer menu with up to 80 beers from all over the UK. Bottled of course. There is now talk of having "real ale" on board. They are working at being able to keep the beer in good condition as it needs generally to be kept still to retain clarity. Ships do not generally stay totally stable, I have noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is interesting!! Especially considering that so many people don't necessarily love the current choices of beers available on ships. We all make do, but it would be nice to have a selection of 80.

Enjoy!!

Oh yeah, I had forgotten they had Sam Adams. That's OK.

We enjoy hitting up microbreweries, both locally at home, and throughout the West Coast. Hitting up Portland, OR was my favorite because we could check into our hotel, and start walking from one great brewery to another. So much fun!

Sadly what is considered USA beer is not quality beer (in my opinion), Budweiser, Coors, MGD. My husband likes the IPAs and I like some of them, but not the crazy hoppy ones, I tend to like the Porters and Stouts, but we will taste it all. We enjoy trying beer wherever we go.

Try Astoria if you want great beer!! If you are on a cruise there be careful, you might have difficulty finding your way back to the ship!!

DO NOT try John Smiths or Tetleys, these are the UK beer version of Bud, Coors or Miller.