Delay in processing refunds

Fredette

I have to confess that I am a bit angry. Both because I won't be going on the cruise we had booked, and because Norwegian is dragging their heels in sending us the refund on our deposit.

My family and I booked for an Adriatic Cruise in September 2017 way back in December 2016, and paid our deposit straight away.

It was a seven night cruise, with five ports. Norwegian has since changed three of the ports, so the cruise we were left with bore very little resemblance to the cruise we booked. One of the ports they took off, was a "must do" for my husband, so reluctantly, we cancelled.

Norwegian's explanation was that "ports change" - well I would have thought that they could have ensured the ports were "locked in" before they published the schedule and took bookings. I know things change, and one port I could have dealt with (we have experienced this before), but three? More than half the advertised ports?

Now they are telling me that it will be 4-6 weeks before we get our deposit back.

I hardly think this is fair. It was not a "change of mind" cancellation. We would have gone on the original cruise, or even a mild variation, but not when it was so different to the one we booked, and paid a deposit on. We paid our deposit instantly, is it really so difficult to expect something more prompt than 4-6 weeks?

Have other cruisers experienced this?

Refunds ALWAYS take longer than charges....it will come.....but, as far as ports, you've read the "cruise contract", right? It specifically states they can change, cancel, rearrange, or substitute any port at any time, for ANY reason. If you want to go to a particular place, you should NOT do it via a cruise. That's just asking for disappointment!

Just be patient...you will get your money back, if you were within the "refund" period.

Refunds ALWAYS take longer than charges....it will come.....but, as far as ports, you've read the "cruise contract", right? It specifically states they can change, cancel, rearrange, or substitute any port at any time, for ANY reason. If you want to go to a particular place, you should NOT do it via a cruise. That's just asking for disappointment!

Just be patient...you will get your money back, if you were within the "refund" period.

Yes, as I said in my post, the cruise wasn't until September, so I am well within the period when I can cancel.

And I do know that they can cancel ports, however I think that once they have changed more than 50% of the cruise, it is no longer the same cruise that they sold, and they should make an effort to deal fairly with their customers in such circumstances.

That being said, I am a lot more fortunate than the people whose cruise on the Star was cut short recently when the engines failed and it ended up adrift and having to be towed back into port, so maybe we had a lucky escape.:)

I'd think they'd get a cancel refunded fairly fast. We waited 16 weeks for a check for OBC.

Wow that is a long time to wait. My last cruise ended January 15th, and I was so surprised to get my refund in early February. Guess it is hit or miss.

• 4 weeks later...
I hardly think this is fair. It was not a "change of mind" cancellation. We would have gone on the original cruise, or even a mild variation, but not when it was so different to the one we booked, and paid a deposit on. We paid our deposit instantly, is it really so difficult to expect something more prompt than 4-6 weeks? Have other cruisers experienced this?

Pretty much a change of mind cancellation. Would not consider it anything else.

4-6 week would be fast. And not unreasonable considering that they need to process a live check to AUS. The last refund we got in 2015 took 3 months. Really didn't bother us, just needed to keep track of it.

Yes, as I said in my post, the cruise wasn't until September, so I am well within the period when I can cancel.

And I do know that they can cancel ports, however I think that once they have changed more than 50% of the cruise, it is no longer the same cruise that they sold, and they should make an effort to deal fairly with their customers in such circumstances.

That being said, I am a lot more fortunate than the people whose cruise on the Star was cut short recently when the engines failed and it ended up adrift and having to be towed back into port, so maybe we had a lucky escape.:)

Those who were onboard the Star at the time were handsomely compensated.

I disagree with you. The world situation, being what it is, port cancelling can and will happen frequently, usually for our safety. The same is true for our Caribbean private island. Our safety is their number one concern. Happiness takes second place.