Majesty of The Seas - Faulty Life Jackets, Stuck in Port

Lurch104

Southern Florida is a hub for maritime supply vendors. Those lifejackets, even if they needed thousands of them, were in stock in warehouses in Miami or FLL. Chandlers don't stock 5 or 10 of these things, they know that when a ship needs lifejackets, it would be a minimum of 50 for a cargo ship, and thousands for the cruise ships that regularly call there.

I have my suspicions that the USCG found some "non-approved" jackets as well as some worn or out of date ones. There has been recently some USCG notices regarding "counterfeit" lifejackets that have been supplied to many shipping companies, by many reputable vendors, and it requires close inspection to note the counterfeits. Many of these have been found with fake USCG approval stamps.

Thanks Chief. Most resent news stories and from people onboard report life jackets have excess wear is problem not mentioning expired dates. So possible that they were counterfeit. Thanks again, you always offer good reliable information...

One thing's for sure, the crew will be busy this cruise gathering all the lifejackets back to stencil the ship's name on them!

I thought they were doing that now, will the Coast Guard let them sail without them being stenciled?

I thought they were doing that now, will the Coast Guard let them sail without them being stenciled?

Sure. It would be just an item on the PSC detained report that the jackets need to be stenciled before a certain date, and the Captain has to notify the USCG when it is done, and they may be back to check next time in the US. That's not a "no sail" item, it is merely a SOLAS deficiency. You can even use lifejackets stenciled with another ship's name if needed to fulfill a temporary need for lifejackets. (In other words, if not enough were available at the US port the ship was detained at, but say another ship had extras, in the same port, and they could loan them for temporary use until new ones arrive).

How did you find out about next week's delay? We are scheduled for next Friday and I'm concerned.....

I am on the 2/20 Majesty sailing and we have received numerous emails about the delayed boarding. We can't board until 5:30pm because they are cleaning out the water system. I assume the work starts after your 2/17 cruise ends.

One of the posters onboard mentioned that the fire drill was being done in the mid-afternoon, which suggests to me that the crew was needed to gather up all the jackets, and distribute the new ones, and the drill, which is required for a PSC inspection, was not done in the morning. Hopefully, the drill goes okay, because the USCG can require it to be done over and over until they are happy.

Thanks John... this article says nothing about end of service life (a date).... this is a good example how FAKE NEWS on Social Media is adopted and then passed on and on...

Here is the quote... (now this may be FAKE as well)

In a statement issued Tuesday morning, Royal Caribbean said: "Yesterday, the U.S. Coast Guard conducted a routine inspection of Majesty of the Seas. They came across some technical issues, including some outdoor life jackets that were showing their age." (not expired)

Use your own mind, do your own research.... who is to believe on Social Media anymore...

Actually, one of our Snowbird neighbors is an ex Coast Guard inspector. I'll get his take on it

2:45. CG still onboard going over thing with a fine tooth comb. Currently running a fire drill. No update from the bridge.

Me? I am 3/4 through both a good book and a 1/2 gallon of Captain Morgan spiced rum I "forgot" was in my luggage from my Disney trip earlier in the week. At this point, I am ok sitting at the pier with increasing discounts until Friday. :-)

Lots of snow on the ground at home and I think I like Cocoa Beach better than Nassau anyway.

Tonight is Taco Tuesday at Sandbar. I highly recommend it.

I believe that's the view of the beach from John's condo balcony. Not Jetty Park.

Right between the Doubletree and the Hilton. The Hilton is the hotel in the picture. The park next door is Lori Wilson. About a $20 cab ride. Around 5 miles south of the terminal.

I cannot believe all the complaints by many people. I would not have a problem with the delay.

How about this delay on the Navigator a few years back on a TA. On the way over, or even before, no one would share when, one of the stabilizers would not retract and the issue was discover by RC in Bermuda. Off we went to Lisbon the, port went normal, but after inspection the government agency of something would not let us leave the port because of the stabilizer. We made EURO news "Ship Seised" any way we spent the next two or three days in the river, they would not even let us go ashore. RC flew in people from every where but no luck in repair. On the final day, of being held captive LOL, the ship suddenly made a move and down the river we went, I thought the Captain was making a run for it. We went down river and then to the right toward shore, and anchored. A nice size ship came out and pulled up beside us and divers got out and began cutting the stabilizer off the ship and let it fall to the bay floor. Then off we went. The captain and his officers did horrible job of damage control and there were near riots on the ship. We did get free drinks and yes other future cruise percentages, but for many their BIG vacations plans ruined.