Panama Canal Cruise at Easter question

marysb

I am sure some of you probably will have cruised Central America over Easter, so I am hoping to get some info. I have posted on the Ports board and have had no responses. Surprising because Easter is such a big holiday in Central America.

We will be in Corinto Nicaragua on Easter Sunday. Will anything be open or will there be celebrations? .... Just wondering what we can expect. We were hoping to just hang around the town and see real life Nicaragua, but maybe there would be more to see with Easter celebrations in Leon.

I can find lots of information about the processions and sawdust carpets for holy week, but I cant find any info about Easter Sunday itself and how that is celebrated. We will be at sea for Good Friday, so we will miss seeing those processions.

Thanks for any info.

Mary

I think you will find most things closed. A few stalls may be open but most people will go to church services and spend time with family.

We were in Leon the Sunday after Easter in 2015. It was HOT and most things were shut. Restaurants were open. Some stalls in the marketplace were open and you could tour the cathedrals after the services were over.

I think 1of4 is right as to what will be open.

Haven't been there on Easter but when we were there, I preferred Leon to Corinto.

I would spend some time in Leon if you can. JMO though and personal experience.

In 2009 we embarked Coral Princess for a westbound full transit cruise on Easter Sunday. When calling at San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua the following week the tour guide was apologetic for how disheveled the port area was stating that the coastal region is overrun by both spring breakers and religious pilgrims during Holy Week. What this means regarding Easter Sunday in Corinto eight years later is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the replies. This was essentially what I was expecting - Easter is a church and family day and most businesses would be closed. Since we are planning to go to Antigua on Easter Monday, we may hang around Puerto Corinto for Easter Sunday ...Leon is a long drive to have everything closed.

We will be in Puntarenus on the Sat. Hope everything is open then.

Hi Mary, I am guessing you are on the Eurodam as we are calling at Corinto that day. We do have a Roll Call running for the cruise and I am trying to co-ordinate some private shore excursions.

I have checked with the operator I have found and he has assured me that he is prepared to offer a tour to Leon City on Easter Sunday. I appreciate that there may not be much open when we get there but it would be interesting to see the City.

We had a port call in Corinto several weeks ago during a Panama Canal cruise on the NCL Jewel. The ship docks in a commercial port, and Corinto itself looked like a very impoverished area that you probably would not want to walk around in. I took a ship's excursion to the Cathedral in León that included a visit to the fantastical white roof, which I really wanted to see. You have to take your shoes off to walk on it. (When I got up there, it struck me that Gaudi had perhaps "borrowed" from it for La Pedrera.) It was a good distance to León, and the excursion itself was very rushed and poorly done.

A few folks on our Roll Call enjoyed their excursion with Julio's Tours, but they did not get to visit the roof of the Cathedral.

Leon%20Cathedral%201024x683_zpsirxmh2mb.jpg

Roof%201%201024x683_zpsm4jaoopa.jpg

Roof%203%201024x683_zpsamcsibbz.jpg

Roof%202%201024x683_zpse59uuxy4.jpg

(photos by turtles06)