Sailing from Sydney , Australia

DancersImage

On the port side you will see the Opera House - makes for a nice photo from your balcony. Starboard side you are looking at the bridge and the terminal. There are nice views from both sides as you are leaving the harbour. Can see it all from the Sunset bar while having a drink or two! :D

In 2011 on the now departed Century when we docked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal following a trans-pacific crossing our bow was pointing toward Circular Quay. In 2014, again on the Century, when we docked at the OPT, our bow was pointing toward Circular Quay, and when we docked two weeks later on the second leg of a B2B again our bow was pointing toward CQ. In 2016, when docking at the OPT on the Solstice our bow was pointing toward CQ. I also have photos of the Solstice at the OPT taken in 2014 (several days after we had left the Century) and the Solstice bow is once again pointing toward CQ. Heaven knows is this is just a coincidence.

But for those who haven't sailed into Sydney Harbor or left from Sydney it is best to be on one of the upper decks as the views are lovely from both sides of the ship. Sydney is truly one of the most beautiful harbors in the world.

only left from sydney on Solstice once and but we were bow away from CQ so bridge views from port side balconies

sunset bar definitely best spot for all round view of simply superb departure though to be honest best is smaller ships that get to go under harbour bridge

On the port side you will see the Opera House - makes for a nice photo from your balcony. Starboard side you are looking at the bridge and the terminal. There are nice views from both sides as you are leaving the harbour. Can see it all from the Sunset bar while having a drink or two! :D

It depends on which way the ship is facing. If it is moored with the bow facing CQ, then the above is true.

When the ship is sailing out, then the starboard side will face the city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In selecting a Balcony stateroom when sailing from Sydney, Australia, is Port or Starboard preferable? Thanks in advance for the input.:p:p:p

Hi DancersImage. We live in Sydney and can assure you that whether the ship is bow in or stern in is completely random. We have seen Solstice berthed both ways as well as others (Solstice is our fav so we notice her more).

So I would suggest not to over think it and if you do get a balcony on the pier side then enjoy the big farewell you will get from people on the roof top bars in The Rocks and the Bridge Climbers. But don't forget to dash over the other side and get some photos of the Opera House :-).

Have a great cruise and enjoy your time in the greatest city on earth :-).

f646c1ef257c4796a3f0639512eacc2c.jpg803331463ec4bfa603e7ccf81dcb88d8.jpg

bb7298ef5bcb4e1b6c7b68fa010dea67.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Solstice has been known to berth bow in and bow out these days. As a consequence either port or starboard would be best. I wouldn't be worried about it to much if you go onto the upper deck for sailaway you will get great views. If the ship berths starboard side to or bow in then the best place for sailaway is Oceanview café right on the stern. The views backing out are phenomenal

Hi DancersImage. We live in Sydney and can assure you that whether the ship is bow in or stern in is completely random. We have seen Solstice berthed both ways as well as others (Solstice is our fav so we notice her more).

So I would suggest not to over think it and if you do get a balcony on the pier side then enjoy the big farewell you will get from people on the roof top bars in The Rocks and the Bridge Climbers. But don't forget to dash over the other side and get some photos of the Opera House :-).

Have a great cruise and enjoy your time in the greatest city on earth :-).

Indeed that this is correct, and there is likely a 50/50 chance to get one or the other. An aft balcony, however, allows to see both on departure (plenty of nice photos will be had of both the bridge and the opera house from the aft). However, the suggestion to go to the Sunset Bar (if on an S-class) is the best as it is trivial to walk to either side to get the picture or view you might desire.

We just returned from the previous Sydney to NZ cruise. We chose port side to be able to see the coast of NZ as we cruised rather than just ocean. The ship was opposite from the picture posted by vallack for our sailing.

We spent several days in Sydney which we just loved. Enjoy your cruise. It was terrific.

There's an amazing picture circulating on social media right now of her, the lights and the reflection in Sydney Harbour, she's stern in. So I wouldn't book a cabin just based on Sydney. I will say the three ships we saw in Sydney Harbour were all Bow in but we didn't see Solstice.

Thanks for these amazing photos! We are sailing out of Sydney on Solstice on December 21st this year. It's our silver wedding anniversary so splashed out and booked an aft sky suite so will hopefully get views of both the bridge and opera house. Sydney looks fantastic. We're staying 3 nights prior so want to pack in as much as possible. Counting down the months[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums