Oasis of the Seas Jan 22nd-29th 2017. A little disappointing.

MikeACY

First let me say that the ship was beautiful, the crew friendly, and the food for the most part excellent. But we had a few issues that need to be noted.

The Wipe out Café, our favorite place to eat lunch on the Allure, was closed the entire week because it was set up to cater to a certain ethnic group. The ice cream machine, located at this Café, was shut down. The one or two remaining ice cream machines located around the pool; well you can imagine how long the lines were WHEN they were open.

Other restaurants/night clubs were also closed during the week at peak times. Having been on 26 cruises and seeing this before, this by far was excessive.

The show “Come Fly with Me” was canceled on day 5. The show “CATS” canceled on day 6, both from technical difficulties.

The buffet, “Windjammer” constantly ran out of coffee.

Writing to RCCL concerning the disappointments we encountered resulted in them basically saying “Too bad” but we will take note of your comments.

I pay for this cruise just like anyone else. I have no problem with certain restaurants/clubs being reserved for a few hours, but closed all week, or close for more than a few hours is not acceptable. A show being canceled for technical difficulties does happen. But when the cruise director said, and I am paraphrasing, “This is what happens when you try to run a 2017 hi tech show with a computer developed in the year 2000”. Doesn’t this suggest that they knew there were problems?

Not sure I'll be back...especially receiving the type of response I got from RCCL pertaining to these issues.

Can you explain your comment about Wipeout Cafe? You said it was closed and then you said it was "set up to cater to a certain ethnic group". What do you mean? Was there a partial charter on the ship?

Kosher foods, and roped off to those who weren't participating. Not sure if there was a partial charter.

Kosher foods, and roped off to those who weren't participating. Not sure if there was a partial charter.

I just found the rollcall for your cruise and there are many posts complaining about this large group that was on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214708&highlight=January+2017&page=24

I'm sure there are probably a million threads on group cruises already, but I don't know... a cruise ship is a closed ecosystem and as these boards are proof, people look forward sometimes to one specific aspect of the ship. Not like on land where you can drive a little further or something if the restaurant near you is closed. Sure, things happen due to weather or technical glitches, fair enough. But making the conscious decision to close entire venues for the week for specific groups- that doesn't resonate with me at all.

Wipeout Cafe is not some seldom used, underutilized part of the ship.

*edit* a prior thread from a few years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802904

Since this particular group will take dining venues completely offline for non-group passengers during the week, many were saying to avoid these cruises. But most people won't even know unless you research it ahead of booking!

For those looking at next year, I noticed the tour company that organized the large group being discussed here, has set up a similar Caribbean cruise on the Allure for roughly the same dates as the Oasis cruise this year.:eek:

Thank you for the heads up. We are thinking of the Harmony next year. But the comment above is correct. How would a cruise passenger know if a particular group of people are booking a cruise?

Thank you for the heads up. We are thinking of the Harmony next year. But the comment above is correct. How would a cruise passenger know if a particular group of people are booking a cruise?

It can be difficult to get that info. I've had some luck with internet searches using the name of the ship and the sailing date in different forms.

We have experienced issues with shows being cancelled on Oasis and Allure for both weather and technical issues. I've come to terms with the fact that missing shows is a risk you take booking these ships though it is still disappointing when it happens. However, I would have been quite annoyed to lose entire venues for the whole week because of another group taking them over. The Wipeout Cafe is one venue we use a lot. I would not have been happy.

We have experienced issues with shows being cancelled on Oasis and Allure for both weather and technical issues. I've come to terms with the fact that missing shows is a risk you take booking these ships though it is still disappointing when it happens. However, I would have been quite annoyed to lose entire venues for the whole week because of another group taking them over. The Wipeout Cafe is one venue we use a lot. I would not have been happy.

We were NOT happy. As mentioned, that is one of our favorites. An entire week?? Oh, and I forgot to mention the elevator situation. Certain elevators had to stop on every floor because this group wasn't allowed to push the buttons on one particular evening/day. So the crew programmed some elevators to stop on every floor. I'm I being picky?

Oh, and I forgot to mention the elevator situation. Certain elevators had to stop on every floor because this group wasn't allowed to push the buttons on one particular evening/day. I'm I being picky?

Be prepared for the same thing if you ever go to Israel.

I was on FoS late January this year, there was two big groups had bookings on this cruise. One of the groups I happened to find out about through "shipmate" app as someone was saying if there were cursing for the "Country Family Reunion". The other i did not know about till i tired to relax each night at my fave bar, Olive and Twist.

It would be really nice if you are booking that RC or ANY cruise line can give you a heads up. :confused:

My Son and DIL got on a cruise in January a year ago with this same group and it completely ruined parts of the cruise. The dining room situation was unbearable with slow to no service because this group required a 'special' diet. Apparently they also took over the Wipeout Café on that trip too. Maybe that it how they have to do it to accommodate the kosher food requirements but he swears he will never cruise on that ship again that time of year.

That is so unfortunate for you! I feel a better stance RCL should take is to allow to charter an entire smaller ship if they want special considerations. It's not fair to close venues, inconvenience 5-6000 passengers that have paid the same amount for their cruise as anyone else for I'm assuming a couple of hundred in a group. I would not be happy either!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on this cruise as well and will not be back. You are correct about the area's that were closed for that specific group. I have always loved the big ships, but after this week DH will under no circumstances step foot on one again. Not only were the venues closed for this group, there were many, many unmannerly persons with them. We went to the Wipe Out Cafe and could not believe the way it was trashed, there was food thrown all over the floor. It was absolutely trashed. We were waiting to enter the Comedy Club and Blazes (yes, it was closed all week for them) is directly across from the Comedy Club. I couldn't tell what the problem was that they were having, but more and more ship officers were talking with some of the group just inside Blazes door, it did not look friendly at all. A short while later a young chef was delivering food and I felt so sorry for him for the treatment they rendered on him. As for the elevators, they became a nightmare! At one point I was surprised to see a bar attendant suggest to a young couple they probably should go to their room. Laying on the sofa's and taking up much of the space, having books and other articles laying all over other chairs. We only ate in the dining room one night, but that was enough for us, it was TERRIBLE how this group treated the crew. I cannot express highly enough how badly they treated the crew.

I've heard it said any cruise is good, well, this one was not. We were fortunate to be sailing in a suite and we spent quite a bit of time in it so I guess you could say we got our money's worth there.

The weather for this cruise was really bad when leaving PC, at the Muster the Captain announced we would not be going to Nassau, the crowd cheered. He told everyone we would be cruising on Monday and arrive in San Juan on Tuesday. We arrived at 5:30 PM and left at 11 PM. This was fine with us as I would prefer San Juan over Nassau and I'm glad the Captain made this decision.

I think it is very rude of RCL to not let paying customers know that their cruise will be impacted with a charter

Agree! As others have stated, I paid for the entire cruise..I expect to have access to all restaurants/night clubs, etc included in that price.

This group is notorious. On the NCL board, there are threads dedicated to avoiding them. From what has been mentioned there, they have actually been banned from Carnival because of the bad behavior mentioned here (rudeness to staff, mainly).

There is one mentioned way of avoiding being on a cruise with them, and that is for your cruise to start/end on a Saturday, since they will not want to begin/end their cruise on Sabbath. I don't know if this will always hold true, but it might help for planning future cruises.

I'm sorry yet another ship's worth of cruisers had their well-earned vacations made less than pleasant.