Tipping Policy on Marina

Mylisa

Can someone please tell me if they add the crew gratuity automatically to your bill at the end of the cruise or do they pass out the little envelopes for us to do it on our own.

Is it customary to tip frequently as well such as for room service. Any other "tips" on tipping aboard would be welcome. These are hard working people who work for very little and I want to make sure that we appreciate them properly.

Thanks

We always give a small gratuity to the room service waiter.

Our room service is taken care of by our butler and we always give him extra over and above what is added to our bill at the end.

If you have one of the drinks packages or purchase the 7 bottle wine package at the beginning of the cruise- the tip is included in the price of each. However all other alcohol purchases, that is mixed drinks, wine by the glass or by the bottle, and specialty coffees, will have 18% gratuity added to the bill.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I always thought the phrase "specialty coffee" meant that it had alcohol in it.

But if that's true what are the rest of non standard coffee drinks without alcohol called?:eek:

The daily gratuity will be added to your onboard account

There is 18% gratuity added to Spa services , individual alcoholic drinks

If you have a drink package the gratuity is included in the daily rate

Yes you can tip room service if you choose ..some people do some do not ..personal choice

You can also give extra to the staff if you want it is not required but again a personal choice

enjoy the cruise

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I always thought the phrase "specialty coffee" meant that it had alcohol in it.

But if that's true what are the rest of non standard coffee drinks without alcohol called?:eek:

In the set of Specialty Coffees there are those with alcohol and those without. A Monte Cristo coffee has liquor, an espresso does not; both are a specialty coffee; but in the simple context the versions without alcohol would be the specialty coffees.

Many lines charge for espresso, cappuccino, and the like. On O espresso based, no alcohol coffees are included so their is no bill and no 18% gratuity.

But on O don't make my mistake when I ordered a Café au lait first thing in the morning. The waiter was gone for a long time but happily returned with what I deduced was a Cafe Ole, their version of a Spanish Coffee. Not what I had in mind for breakfast. I have to learn Starbucks' lingo.

But on O don't make my mistake when I ordered a Café au lait first thing in the morning. The waiter was gone for a long time but happily returned with what I deduced was a Cafe Ole, their version of a Spanish Coffee. Not what I had in mind for breakfast. I have to learn Starbucks' lingo.

You made me laugh

reminded me of years ago we went to Venezuela the coffee at breakfast was so dark & strong even with a shot of milk in it.

we could not get the waiter to understand Cafe au lait

so we finally asked for 1/2 hot milk & 1/2 coffee

so every morning he would come to the table & ask 50/50 ??

You made me laugh

reminded me of years ago we went to Venezuela the coffee at breakfast was so dark & strong even with a shot of milk in it.

we could not get the waiter to understand Cafe au lait

so we finally asked for 1/2 hot milk & 1/2 coffee

so every morning he would come to the table & ask 50/50 ??

About 15 years ago had Cuban Coffee in a factory in Little Havana. Wow. Strongest coffee I ever had. Drank it and had another cup. Takes a little getting used to but not bad.

About 15 years ago had Cuban Coffee in a factory in Little Havana. Wow. Strongest coffee I ever had. Drank it and had another cup. Takes a little getting used to but not bad.

The Venezuelan coffee they throw the beans in a huge pot of water & boil then drink

certainly will wake you up in the morning :D

The Venezuelan coffee they throw the beans in a huge pot of water & boil then drink

certainly will wake you up in the morning :D

I think I will stick with Starbucks for my everyday coffee fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I love coffee, but back to the original topic................

Gratuities are added to the bill so everyone applicable is taken care of. That said, of course no crew member would ever say no to an extra envelope of gratitude.

Remember though, if you choose to remove your gratuities from your statement so you can instead tip crew members 'individually', you are in effect taking money right out of the pockets of those behind the scenes who get a cut of that daily gratuity but never have the guest interaction. Just a thought.

I love coffee, but back to the original topic................

Gratuities are added to the bill so everyone applicable is taken care of. That said, of course no crew member would ever say no to an extra envelope of gratitude.

Remember though, if you choose to remove your gratuities from your statement so you can instead tip crew members 'individually', you are in effect taking money right out of the pockets of those behind the scenes who get a cut of that daily gratuity but never have the guest interaction. Just a thought.

I would never remove a gratuity unless there was something very wrong with the service which I don't think could happen. I would give extra to the people who we thought gave us some extra service.

I think that we should recognize the difference between a "gratuity" and a "service charge".

The 18% added to a bill or the $16 pp/day hotel fee are service charges - you pay them irrespective of whether the staff performs well.

If you think members of the crew have done exceptionally well, you are free to award them whatever gratuity (tip) you wish.

Keep in mind:

If you don't pay the daily hotel fee, any tips you give the crew are pooled with everyone else.

If you purchase the beverage package, the bartender does not get the usual 18%. If he/she does a good job, give her/him a tip.

Ira

Edited by I_r_a
correct grammar

If you purchase the beverage package, the bartender does not get the usual 18%. If he/she does a good job, give her/him a tip.

Ira

I suspect they do still get the forced 'gratuity' when a drink package is purchased. O does not add it to the purchase price but some amount, likely not 18%, surely would be included. Otherwise the bar staff would take a cut in pay with every conversion to a package. Or perhaps the same as I've read on some lines where the staff receives a minimum pay so if a ship sails less than full they don't suffer as badly and additional tips are a supplement.

If the gratuity is truly not included in the purchase of a package that must be clearly spelled out. I'd feel terrible not tipping when served because I wrongly believed it was part of my package purchase and already in their tip pool. I only tipped occasionally on our last trip with a package as I was sure O wrote the gratuity was included. If I was wrong I still received great service despite stiffing them most times. Concerned now.

Unless someone responds with certainty I'll ask at Reception when I purchase the package on an up-coming trip.

I think that we should recognize the difference between a "gratuity" and a "service charge".

The 18% added to a bill or the $16 pp/day hotel fee are service charges - you pay them irrespective of whether the staff performs well.

If you think members of the crew have done exceptionally well, you are free to award them whatever gratuity (tip) you wish.

Keep in mind:

If you don't pay the daily hotel fee, any tips you give the crew are pooled with everyone else.

Ira

Sorry, but the 16.00 per day is a gratuity not a hotel fee/service charge. You are free to remove them if the staff does not perform to your liking. A hotel service charge is added to your bill like it or not. This charge is not.

If the gratuity is truly not included in the purchase of a package that must be clearly spelled out. I'd feel terrible not tipping when served because I wrongly believed it was part of my package purchase and already in their tip pool. I only tipped occasionally on our last trip with a package as I was sure O wrote the gratuity was included. If I was wrong I still received great service despite stiffing them most times. Concerned now.

Unless someone responds with certainty I'll ask at Reception when I purchase the package on an up-coming trip.

I believe the taxes & Gratuity is included in the package price of $59.95 PPPD

If not the bar staff would be up in arms at not getting any tips

Some lines give a package price then add gratuity to the daily rate

The 7 bottle wine package states " includes gratuity "

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

Maybe they have a system when you car is swiped the tip money still goes into the bar staff pool ???

I am just guessing though