SailorJill and I Sail on the Orient Express a.k.a. Millenium's Immersion Cruise

SailorJack

Just a hint- Someone gave me a set of chopsticks that are connected on one end. They came from a $ store. I kept them in my purse and used them for all our meals in the Far East. Easy peasey to use.

What a great idea. Unfortunately the set we bought in Hong Kong were the traditional types. Next time we are in the $ store I will check it out.

I was told that the red one is best for pulled muscles and the white for headaches.

BTW the red tiger balm formulation can stain fabric pretty badly - the cinnamon oil is quite resistant to stain removers!

There are two types of Tiger Balm! I didn't know that and will pass it along to Jill. Thanks the warning about the red one, however.

Jack

I've never had to purchase anything either to get treats from Bacio and I do it all the time. I never have a beverage package unless it comes with my cabin. Wonder if this was specific to this cruise or if you had new servers who weren't aware of policy.

Like I mentioned earlier, there was a sign on the counter that said "Purchase Required" so I don't think it was confusion among new servers. It would be interesting to know if this was a company wide change or specific to this ship and this itinerary.

One of the best ways to learn chopsticks is with popcorn, there are so many areas to grab, one large batch and you should be able to handle most things--just don't cheat.;p

Great idea...I will give it a try...but I probably won't try it with the unpopped kernels.:)

Jack

Like I mentioned earlier, there was a sign on the counter that said "Purchase Required" so I don't think it was confusion among new servers. It would be interesting to know if this was a company wide change or specific to this ship and this itinerary.

Jack

I'll be sailing on the Summit next month and will try to remember to come back and report my experience. I suspect this was a one off because it is so different from my experience on other Celebrity ships. But who knows?

Ah SailorJack, it has been too long. You just must cruise more often. Another masterpiece, thank you. Millie has been our fave Celebrity ship but it's been many years since we cruised her - before they made some of the "solstice" changes like the Martini Bar.

The only way your pedi could have been better was if you had the kind where the fish eat your dead skin off your feet! THAT would have made your life complete.

We get tiger balm in pharmacies and of course in China Town .in montreal ...I agree Vancouver has loads of Chinese stores and this stuff

I need some now for my very sore knees ....lol

Love your trips and commentary

Michele

Good to hear from you...I haven't seen any of your reviews lately...have you been cruising? I can't believe I have never heard of this Tiger stuff before and everyone else is using it! Hope your knees feel better!

Jack

After mastering popcorn, try marbles. :)

I can see trying it with popcorn, but I think I will pass on the marbles!:)

Jack

The only way your pedi could have been better was if you had the kind where the fish eat your dead skin off your feet! THAT would have made your life complete.

Hello Howell,

Our wives did the fish thing in Santorini. Good to see you posting. :D

On our previous two sailings we have never had to pay and I was quite surprised at the change. There was a small sign on top of the pastry cabinet that said, among some other words, "Purchase Required." I did not inquire as to the change as we had the drink package.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Jack

Hi - we depart for Singapore in 11 days & embark the Connie on the 19th. We have not been required to purchase something b/4 to be able to enjoy the pastries @ Cafe Al Bacio. We'll let you know what happens on the Connie.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will shortly be cruising on the Millennium so stumbled upon Sailor Jacks recollection by chance.

Am I glad..the best read I have ever seen on this forum.I'm sure you must have some Scottish blood in

you from your sense of humour!

Search a bit more--he has more hilarious reviews. Best reading on Cruise Critic!

Search a bit more--he has more hilarious reviews. Best reading on Cruise Critic!

Agree!

Do not recall the thread/trip, but the review where Sailer Jill was wearing, I think it was, a NY Jets jersey was so funny and entertaining. I read numerous stories over and over.

We arrived late at night in Shanghai, so the first view we really had of the city was from the 31st floor of our hotel - the Marriott City Center. Here are a couple of shots from one of our windows. The city was simply brilliant with all the lights.

db813a41-dfcf-47aa-9d57-9f8573ec65b7.jpg

DSC_1756.jpg

You can barely see the Ferris Wheel in the background in the pictures above, but the telephoto brings it up close. Notice the little lights shining from the cars on the wheel

cfafd156-a02f-4886-9823-40884fd876d6.jpg

Hi Melody, Galapagos was fine. Found out last Aug that I needed a hip replacement, waited until after the trip, good thing because there was a big complication and I was toe weight bearing for 6 weeks, still using walking sticks 21/2 months later. Heading out of Reflection this Sat.

Ugh. I'm having foot surgery again tomorrow (body rejected the pure titanium). Heal well

I'll be sailing on the Summit next month and will try to remember to come back and report my experience. I suspect this was a one off because it is so different from my experience on other Celebrity ships. But who knows?

I look forward to your report. Enjoy your cruise!

Jack

SailorJack & Jill. Loved your review, chopsticks are definitely a help to the diet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are right about the diet... if for no other reason that it forces you to eat slower and therefore you eat less before you feel sated. I speak from experience!:D

Jack

We had a corner room at the Marriot which gave us two really great views from the other side of the room.

DSC_1781.jpg

The big building on the left is one of Shanghai's newest hotels - the Radisson Blu. A number of our shipmates stayed at this hotel and raved about it.

DSC_1782.jpg

The two hotels during daylight. The building on the left is the Marriot and the one on the right the Radisson.

DSC_1783.jpg

Ah SailorJack, it has been too long. You just must cruise more often. Another masterpiece, thank you. Millie has been our fave Celebrity ship but it's been many years since we cruised her - before they made some of the "solstice" changes like the Martini Bar.

Good to hear from you. They tell me the Millie is getting along in years, but we found it to be quite nice. Don't know when they added the martini bar, but it was one of our favorite hangouts.

I have heard about the fish thing for pedicures, but that would have probably been a deal killer for me. We are supposed to be at the top of the food chain and to have the tables reversed would not have been good!:D

Take care,

Jack

Good to hear from you. They tell me the Millie is getting along in years, but we found it to be quite nice. Don't know when they added the martini bar, but it was one of our favorite hangouts.

I have heard about the fish thing for pedicures, but that would have probably been a deal killer for me. We are supposed to be at the top of the food chain and to have the tables reversed would not have been good!:D

Take care,

Jack

Jack, I would PAY to read your description of a fish pedicure! Can just imagine what you would say.

We will shortly be cruising on the Millennium so stumbled upon Sailor Jacks recollection by chance.

Am I glad..the best read I have ever seen on this forum.I'm sure you must have some Scottish blood in

you from your sense of humour!

Glad you enjoyed it! You are correct about my heritage. My grandparents immigrated to Canada from Edinburg.

Von & John

Hi - we depart for Singapore in 11 days & embark the Connie on the 19th. We have not been required to purchase something b/4 to be able to enjoy the pastries @ Cafe Al Bacio. We'll let you know what happens on the Connie.

I envy your trip to Singapore. We sailed out of that port several years ago on a fantastic cruise that ended in Sidney. Make sure you have Singapore Sling in the bar that invented it! Have a great time on the cruise.

Jack

Jack

Jack, I would PAY to read your description of a fish pedicure! Can just imagine what you would say.

THAT is never going to happen!!:D I will have to talk with someone and see how they liked it. I can't imagine the fish just eating the dead skin...they would have to bite into living flesh once in a while.:eek:

Ugh. I'm having foot surgery again tomorrow (body rejected the pure titanium). Heal well

Hope your surgery went well. Best wishes...

Jack

I envy your trip to Singapore. We sailed out of that port several years ago on a fantastic cruise that ended in Sidney. Make sure you have Singapore Sling in the bar that invented it! Have a great time on the cruise.

Jack

Jack

Jack -- We are very much looking forward to the trip & definitely planning on enjoying both Singapore Slings & Absolute & Tonic / G&T @ Raffles - which is where I believe the Singapore Sling originate. Seven Days & counting for our departure - can't wait!

Hi Sailor Jack, I was wondering if you know what time the last tender boat in Ha Long Bay is? We are trying to find out because of the time we are due back from Hanoi. We are due back 9ish so hopefully that will mean we can get back onboard.