Purchasing OBC for RCI cruise

With the Aussie $ slowly on the rise and being around 77c us (tipped to go as high as the low 80's), can anyone please tell me what the current rate is if you with to purchase OBC for a Royal Caribbean cruise? It use to be worthwhile, I got 77c when our dollar was down around the 70c mark but wasn't sure if the current rate had changed.

With the Aussie $ slowly on the rise and being around 77c us (tipped to go as high as the low 80's), can anyone please tell me what the current rate is if you with to purchase OBC for a Royal Caribbean cruise? It use to be worthwhile, I got 77c when our dollar was down around the 70c mark but wasn't sure if the current rate had changed.

No the rate is still .77c I am on board Legend of the seas now and purchased obc just before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the rate is still .77c I am on board Legend of the seas now and purchased obc just before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, the rate hasn't changed yet but may still be worth purchasing unless you Credit card attracts fees. The on board rate of exchange is lower, was around $0.69 back in January.

Even though the $A has risen up towards US77c, buying OBC at 77c is still going to be a good deal. As others have stated, the on-board rate you will get is going to be around 70c. Buying US$ ahead of your trip, you are going to get maybe 3 or 4c worse then the going rate (today 76.something, so you will get 73 or so) & there is also sometimes a fee to do the exchange transaction.

The other alternative is to lodge your cc and have your bank do the final on-board account transaction. I have found the rate used 'on-the-day' to be quite good.

I read yesterday a prediction that the A$ will reach US80c soon, but I'm sure I could find another opinion that it will soon drop below 70c:)

During 2015 when there were quite dire predictions for the $A, I loaded US$ onto a travel money card so I have somewhat of a 'cruising buffer'.

Even though the $A has risen up towards US77c, buying OBC at 77c is still going to be a good deal. As others have stated, the on-board rate you will get is going to be around 70c. Buying US$ ahead of your trip, you are going to get maybe 3 or 4c worse then the going rate (today 76.something, so you will get 73 or so) & there is also sometimes a fee to do the exchange transaction.

The other alternative is to lodge your cc and have your bank do the final on-board account transaction. I have found the rate used 'on-the-day' to be quite good.

I read yesterday a prediction that the A$ will reach US80c soon, but I'm sure I could find another opinion that it will soon drop below 70c:)

During 2015 when there were quite dire predictions for the $A, I loaded US$ onto a travel money card so I have somewhat of a 'cruising buffer'.

I wouldn't mind going back to the heady days of 2012 with the AUD above the USD but the Gov wouldn't allow that.

I wouldn't mind going back to the heady days of 2012 with the AUD above the USD but the Gov wouldn't allow that.

Ahhh, memories, Mic! We did RC cruises in Oct '12 & Jan '13 - our final accounts cost us less in $A than the bill was in US$. Didn't see too many complaining about cruiselines operating in USD then :)

Oh well it's only money as they say.

Ahhh, memories, Mic! We did RC cruises in Oct '12 & Jan '13 - our final accounts cost us less in $A than the bill was in US$. Didn't see too many complaining about cruiselines operating in USD then :)

No, that was when they were complaining how bad it was to sail P&O and Princess, as things were so much cheaper on RCL, so these American cruise lines were the best.

Now we get complaints about how American cruiselines are so expensive, so they should make like P&O and Princess and charge in AUD, and be cheaper as well, thanks k...

Oh well it's only money as they say.

Yep, good times.

Hi folks,Sorry, how do you buy OBC. Do you ring up RCI? I normally use my CC to pay my account.

Thanks Steve

Steve, I rang RCI this morning and bought some OBC. It was very easy, very quick and no being placed on hold. The exchange rate was 77c as others have stated.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. Looks like we are cruising together. Almost this time next month (y)

Steve :cool:

Yes Steve we will be on board VOS leaving on the 26th March.

This time in four weeks DH and I will be ready to fly out of Melbourne headed to Sydney.

Leigh :)

Thanks Leigh. Looks like we are cruising together. Almost this time next month (y)

Steve :cool:

Yes Steve we will be on board VOS leaving on the 26th March.

This time in four weeks DH and I will be ready to fly out of Melbourne headed to Sydney.

Leigh :)

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise.:D