Medallions to replace cruise cards?

BarbinMich

For instance, if CCL knows that you attend a show every night, it might pitch you future cruises with "a great new theatrical line-up." Or the guy who spends all his time in the bar might get pitched the great drink package. Even within a cruise, CCL could identify those passengers who haven't yet set foot in the spa, then track them down and offer them a free tour and a spa package.
Those are all brilliant uses of such data.

Those are all brilliant uses of such data.

Or intrusive, depending on your viewpoint.

For example, I resent Amazon cluttering up my inbox when I have looked at something and then they spam me with 'do you still want to buy this?' and alternatives. This would be in the same category IMHO.

I'm a grown up - I can make my own purchasing decisions without some computerized nanny nagging me - in fact, that is usually counter-productive - I do not take marketing well - it usually puts me off.

Or intrusive, depending on your viewpoint.
More likely, both.

I'm a grown up - I can make my own purchasing decisions without some computerized nanny nagging me - in fact, that is usually counter-productive - I do not take marketing well - it usually puts me off.
I don't know anyone who says anything different. I think we all like to think that we have control over the impact marketing has on us. With respect, I suspect even you are affected more than you realize, and in the marketers' direction not against it.

More likely, both.

I don't know anyone who says anything different. I think we all like to think that we have control over the impact marketing has on us. With respect, I suspect even you are affected more than you realize, and in the marketers' direction not against it.

With respect, you do not know me at all and it is presumptuous of you to suggest that. Yes, I am affected by marketing, but not in the way that they would like (hard sell = me gone). If you knew my previous career you might understand that (I spent 20 years taking dodgy traders to court for all sorts of scams/false advertising etc.).

With respect, you do not know me at all and it is presumptuous of you to suggest that.
Not at all. As I said everyone believes that of themselves and my experience taught me that that it is true of practically no one. Therefore the suspicion expressed is valid and reasonable. Both my suspicion and your denial are valid contributions.

Let's not lose the point. The cruise line is reasonable in employing the means they employ based on these understandings of typical consumer responses. We may not like it but we don't respond in the manner necessary to drive a change in the way we are approached.

Many people on CC complain abut the paper flyers inserted in the daily Patter. I can't help thinking that there may be electronic bombardment of your gadget with 'e-flyers'. Once a day in your cabin I can stand - all day when out and about I could not. It already happens on the interactive TV systems. On our last cruise (Azamara) there were messages every day from the spa and shops. You had to wade through them all to see if there was any 'proper' messages for you.

Hmmmm... A flood of paper flyers? Or a flood of electronic flyers? Which causes more mess in my life?

It takes me a fraction of a second to transfer the paper flyers to the bin. It takes many seconds to wade through several electronic messages and delete them. I get the whole 'save the trees' thing BTW - I just would resent using my vacation time to deal with marketing spam. Now if there was an opt-out option for adverts built in to their new super-dooper system...

It takes me a fraction of a second to transfer the paper flyers to the bin. It takes many seconds to wade through several electronic messages and delete them. I get the whole 'save the trees' thing BTW - I just would resent using my vacation time to deal with marketing spam. Now if there was an opt-out option for adverts built in to their new super-dooper system...

You could always take the time to delete all those messages while waiting an hour to get seated in the dining room for dinner.

It'll give you something to do. ;p

Stop resisting!! :)

Or just got so good that we couldn't tell the difference between technology and its absence.

For that matter, perhaps we're all in the Matrix.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I haven't read all 15 pages, but if someone could answer. Last cruise, I took my Vera Bradly purse with me, we were on an 8 night cruise, I am very well aware about magnets vs any credit card.....KEY card demagnetizing when near a magnet. I was very careful about the placement of the card in my purse and aways put it on the side away from the magnet, BUT 5 times I had to go to PS to get a new card, as the previous one stopped working. Would the same prevail for these new Medallions?

I haven't read all 15 pages, but if someone could answer. Last cruise, I took my Vera Bradly purse with me, we were on an 8 night cruise, I am very well aware about magnets vs any credit card.....KEY card demagnetizing when near a magnet. I was very careful about the placement of the card in my purse and aways put it on the side away from the magnet, BUT 5 times I had to go to PS to get a new card, as the previous one stopped working. Would the same prevail for these new Medallions?

The medallions don't have anything magnetic about them. They work on a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC).

The medallions don't have anything magnetic about them. They work on a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC).

This is why your a Elite member on the Rowboat. Good answer to most of the questions and this is one of them.

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

According to AdWeek they're prepping a marketing campaign with "educational-but-compelling ads and content to get consumers to understand how the system works."

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.