Crown Princess vs NCL Spirit in the Med

bosco85

Hello,

I was on the inaugural voyage of the crown and currently have a 11 night booked on her for next May. It would go from Barcelona to Marseille, Florence, Olympia, Mykonos, Santorini, Kotor, and end in Rome.

I just also found a NCL cruise aboard the Spirit about the same time. This ship goes roundtrip from Rome to Dubrovnik, an overnight in Venice, Koper, Split, Corfu, Olympia, and Valletta.

The Spirit is a bit smaller and I've never been on NCL so I'm a bit hesitant, but the price is lower as well. I've also never been to Europe. The first itinerary on the Crown seemed ideal for us to see many different places, but an overnight in Venice seems awfully appealing as well.

If anyone has any insights here to help this decision, it would be much appreciated.

I have been on most ports for both cruises. It was interesting for us. Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Mykonos, Dubrovnik, Marseilles and Santorini.

i suggest you check the sites of each port that will interest you more, that may differ from us. Then choose your preference, Either itinerary, you won't go wrong. You just have to choose the better ship.

Based on time off from work, we're not certain we'd have time after the cruise to go to Venice, nor are we sure how much time we'll get to have ahead of time to try to see Barcelona. Thanks for the input. We keep checking out all the ports, they just all seem interesting for us newcomers!

One thing to consider is that you'll get a better deal on airfare if you fly to and from the same airport and this favors the Norwegian Spirit itinerary. We've been to a lot of the ports on both itineraries and it's hard to pick favorites but it's hard to beat an overnight in Venice (Spirit). If you decide to do the Crown I would strongly recommend spending a day or two in both Barcelona and Rome as you won't really have time to see either if you fly in the day of sailing and leave the day of arrival in Rome (there the port is an hour from Rome itself and the Rome airport is not particularly close to either the port or the city). With the Spirit itinerary you'd at least have Rome as both the starting and ending port so it might be easier to come in early or stay after the cruise.--but that means taking the train to the port and lugging your bags yourself or hiring a private car to drive you to or from the city. Much more comfortable and convenient, but also much more expensive than the train. We've never flown into Barcelona, but it's probably easier than flying to Rome if you plan to go straight to the ship. Both cruise lines will offer transportation to/from the airport to the ship in both ports you're considering plus pre- and post-cruise stays in both--those tend be expensive IMHO. Hope this helps!

I did a 14 night cruise on Norwegian Jade (NCL sister to Spirit), last May. It is a nice ship. Lots to do; has five specialty restaurants; staff was excellent; great itinerary. We had a aft cabin

I would pick the Norwegian cruise for your first European cruise. An overnight in Venice is just a wonderful experience. We did it on our first cruise of the Med on RCCL starting and ending in Barcelona. We have taken 3 subsequent two on RCL and one on HAL including the Greek isles. The Princess cruise is more port intensive of the Greek isles and depending on how many ships are in port can be very overwhelming, although certainly worth visiting but I would save them for another trip. Of course if you are in love with Greco-Roman history, then the Princess itinerary makes more sense. We loved Dubrovnik, it was so interesting

I would not be too concerned about ships in the Med. you will be so busy with ports that the ship will not matter too much as long as the ship is reasonable.

We would, and have, selected on the following criteria...

Itinerary, pre and post cruise ports (if you want to do some pre or post cruise independent travel), and price.

We never select a cruise that returns to the same port. Don't want to lay for the same real estate twice.

Do some research and decide based on your personal preferences.

I would not be too concerned about ships in the Med. you will be so busy with ports that the ship will not matter too much as long as the ship is reasonable.

We would, and have, selected on the following criteria...

Itinerary, pre and post cruise ports (if you want to do some pre or post cruise independent travel), and price.

We never select a cruise that returns to the same port. Don't want to lay for the same real estate twice.

Do some research and decide based on your personal preferences.

Do you find airfare more expensive when you fly into one city and out of another? I was looking at Alaska cruises this summer; it was $500 more per person to fly into Vancouver and out of Anchorage; verses round trip out of Seattle.

Do you find airfare more expensive when you fly into one city and out of another? I was looking at Alaska cruises this summer; it was $500 more per person to fly into Vancouver and out of Anchorage; verses round trip out of Seattle.

I'm not the one you asked but can answer based on my own experience. It can go either way. Sometimes a straight round trip is much better in price, but other times, the multi city is no more money or just barely more. In your case, a U.S. round trip itin to Seattle would definitely be cheaper than a multi city to Vancouver and Anchorage because both of those cities are more expensive to fly in and out of as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums