Carnival made it right with Glory passengers

KPfromCT

Yeah I'm not about to give Carnival kudos for this one.

I have a friend that's a family of 4 that was left scrambling that last 24 hours to find a ship suitable for their school aged kids celebrating spring break.

Seems to me Carnival would've been better off scheduling the waterworks renovation during non-peak times for kids to be off from school.

Yeah I'm not about to give Carnival kudos for this one.

I have a friend that's a family of 4 that was left scrambling that last 24 hours to find a ship suitable for their school aged kids celebrating spring break.

Seems to me Carnival would've been better off scheduling the waterworks renovation during non-peak times for kids to be off from school.

With ships going into dry dock at all months during the year, I doubt they can schedule the dry dock around kids' school schedule and I can imagine why a 6 week project would best be done when the ship is in dry dock for a portion of it...otherwise you'd be running 6 cruises without it operational.

With ships going into dry dock at all months during the year, I doubt they can schedule the dry dock around kids' school schedule and I can imagine why a 6 week project would best be done when the ship is in dry dock for a portion of it...otherwise you'd be running 6 cruises without it operational.

Any corporation this large, with its experience in ship repair/dry dock....how long do you think they knew about this project and the anticipated amount of effort required?

I'd say minimum, they've known about this for at least the last 6-12 months. 2 sailings being interrupted, blindsided nonetheless, by the pre-dry dock demolition is crazy. They didn't just decide one day, hey, lets rip down the slide today!

I don't doubt this is a logistical nightmare, but Carnival dropped the ball on this one.

I think they should have given them a full refund or an option to book a cruise on a different ship at a later date. Any hotel or restaurant I have booked will have notifications if construction will be going on giving a person an option to book or not.

Most people avoid hotels or restaurants where there is construction going on.

From what I've read I think Carnival screwed up, realized it, and has taken steps to make it up to passengers.

Offering a full refund to upcoming cruisers, and a future cruise credit to those who have already sailed, seems more than fair to me.

I give kudos to Carnival for taking responsibility for this preventable situation. I also hope they schedule future upgrades more carefully and realistically.

As cruisers, we can be put off, but we may not understand all the complexities that go into getting a vessel into dry dock.

It could be that there is limited time dry dock, so some prep work needs to be done before hand. Doesn't make it right for the passengers, but when you have revenue & margins to consider, empty ships are bad news.

Of course, I say this tongue in cheek as I'm sure I would have been put off if we were in that situation as well.

At least they are doing something about it. Would have been much better to have been proactive though.

Any corporation this large, with its experience in ship repair/dry dock....how long do you think they knew about this project and the anticipated amount of effort required?

I'd say minimum, they've known about this for at least the last 6-12 months. 2 sailings being interrupted, blindsided nonetheless, by the pre-dry dock demolition is crazy. They didn't just decide one day, hey, lets rip down the slide today!

I don't doubt this is a logistical nightmare, but Carnival dropped the ball on this one.

Sailings would be interrupted whether they scheduled at a different time or not. Here they will have it done for most of the Spring Break season (its only early March) and the entire summer when all kids are out of school.

With your mentality, they could only do large projects in May, October, November and February since both December and January can have some out of school periods. I feel sorry for those affected, but with so many ships to manage (as a total corporation), they can't limit major projects to only 4 months out of the year.

I think they should have given them a full refund or an option to book a cruise on a different ship at a later date. Any hotel or restaurant I have booked will have notifications if construction will be going on giving a person an option to book or not.

Most people avoid hotels or restaurants where there is construction going on.

But they did, didn't they?

The missive goes on to say that Carnival understands this is disappointing and, as a result, we will be providing a $200 per cabin credit to your on board account. For those opting to cancel their cruise, Carnival is allowing them to switch to another comparable sailing in similar accommodations at the same price or receive a full refund.

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if it's still 2 cruises post dry dock that's effected.

I wonder if any one has gotten this e-mail?

I know I haven't. If it does include the 2ed cruise post dry dock.

I think for post dry dock cruises their compensation is more than fair

My daughter (22) and her boyfriend (24) were on Glory from 02/11 to 02/18. It was her fourth cruise (first on Carnival) and his first. They had a good time, but were a bit put out by the waterslide issue.

I can tell you that they are delighted with the response from Carnival. Not sure if they will book another cruise, but the 25% refund is nice.

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if it's still 2 cruises post dry dock that's effected.

I wonder if any one has gotten this e-mail?

I know I haven't. If it does include the 2ed cruise post dry dock.

I think for post dry dock cruises their compensation is more than fair

Yes, I received the email today for our 3/18 cruise. Looking now for any alternate cruises, but not likely this late. Although a small token comp, $200 is better than nothing.

We are on 3/11, and looked for any alternate cruise 6-8 day leaving 3/11 & 3/12...all were sold out.

I really was hoping to move, but since that isn't an option - we are going to go as planned. However, if things are a disaster right outside of our deck 10 room, we'll invoke the guarantee. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worse.

WOW, till Carnival gives back 25% refund to every cruiser, plus giving them their next cruise at 50% off, then gives everyone taking the next cruise $200 OBC.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been cheaper for them to just keep the ship in dry dock longer. :D

Of course the $200 OBC, Carnival will get right back as people will spend it on the ship.

Wish I had been on that cruise, I could use some extra credit and a half off cruise. lol

From reading, they are letting people switch ships for same price if they wanted. That would appease me.........I booked because we wanted at least one water slide on our ship. I can swim in a pool anywhere. You can't do waterslides on a ship anywhere. I'd be mad at first but as long as they are making it right, all is good!

Edited by sk8rmomof3
made a mistake