New Carnival Rule? Can't bring shells you've collected from beach back onboard?????

RecoveryDude

Hi, I was reading a review of the Carnival Sunshine ... and happened to notice someone mention that while on the Sunshine ... the cruise director announced several times that there were NO SHELLS ALLOWED to be brought back onboard while in Grand Turk?

I was just in Grand Turk last October and brought several back from Conch Graveyard. I also brought shells back from St. Kitts and St. Maartin.

Is this is a new Carnival Rule? Is this "just" for the Sunshine? Is this "Just" for Grand Turk?

In Grand Turk especially, going to the Conch Graveyard is a highlight... will be disappointed if Carnival no longer allows shells on board.

I never thought it was allowed. Most islands tell you not to remove. US Customs says you can't bring them in. I know on other lines we sail always a note in dailies and usually verbal reminders. Same as no food or fruits.

I never thought it was allowed. Most islands tell you not to remove. US Customs says you can't bring them in. I know on other lines we sail always a note in dailies and usually verbal reminders. Same as no food or fruits.

This.(y)

Yep! They confiscated several conch shells from people on our cruise in November.

I was just in Grand Turk last October and brought several back from Conch Graveyard. I also brought shells back from St. Kitts and St. Maartin.

How did you get to bring those back? As far as I know that rule was already in place.

One problem with picking up "fresh" shells off the beach or bays is the spread of diseases is a very real threat. Especially when you are dealing with spiral type of shells like conch, the decaying tissue of the previous inhabitant may still be lodged attracting what bacteria. With Zika, Chikungunya, and the newly found Mayaro virus even if not contracted on a island through a bug bite the disease may be brought home in the form of insect eggs laid deep in the shell.

Aged, heat cleaned, and polished shells bought at retailers on the islands are still allowed to be brought on board.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells,-sand,-pebbles,-driftwood-for-personal-use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/customs-allowances

Conch shells, whether collected by you or purchased from a shop, require a permit from the Department of Economic and Maritime Affairs to export. This permit can only be obtained during the open season for conch. Other shells, depending on the species and quantity, also require a permit. Corals of any sort cannot be exported legally.

We recommend that you exercise caution when purchasing conch shells, conch jewellery or other conch souvenirs because you must either obtain a permit (which can be a time-consuming process) or will likely have your shells confiscated. We have received several complaints from tourists who have purchased shells from local shops only to have them seized at the Providenciales International Airport (PLS).

I took home 3 conch seashells(w/the holes drilled so you know there's no slimys inside:D) from the Graveyard in summer 2015. I had 2 in my backpack and 1 in my DS pack and the ship security person made him open his bag. I thought I was gonna lose that one for sure but they put it back in the bag and never said a word! They were full of sand and a little seaweed too. That would be a bummer if you can't bring them back any longer. It's fun to hunt for them and really, what happens to the ones that are just left on the beach?

Yes, Carnival has apparently changed their policy about bringing collected sea shells back onboard their ships.

John Heald posted on his social media page about a month ago that Carnival page about bringing shells back onboard: This was copied and pasted from his page so information is correct:"Please dont try and bring sea shells on the ships - they are not allowed and we have to throw them back into the sea before departure. Cheers". He then added the following comment: "I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT IF YOU PURCHASED THEM AND HAVE A RECEIPT THAT YOU CAN BRING THEM ON THE SHIP". :(

On Carnival's website, it mentions sea shells under the "Exemptions" below the "Prohibited Items", which states they are allowed: "Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism". I will also copy and paste and will also attach link (the part about seashells is at the very bottom of the page: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/carnival-cruise-line-additional-prohibited-items,-exemptions-and-other

And according to the website of the US Customs and Border Protection, small amounts of sea shells for "personal use" are allowed. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells,-sand,-pebbles,-driftwood-for-personal-use

We have been to Grand Turk on a cruise in 2010 and brought home some of the discarded, EMPTY, conch shells from the "conch graveyard" without any problems. According to the Turks and Caicos laws, each person is allowed to export 3 conch shells for personal use without needing a permit, but more than 3 per person will require a permit. Attaching the link: https://www.gov.tc/dema/forms-permits-and-fees

On the "Grand Turk" (Port of Call section of CC) boards, someone mentioned that on Carnival Sunshine cruise in January, they had their shells taken and also added "They even took the few tiny shells I had picked up." That is very contradictory to their website under the "Exemptions".

I collect small amounts of EMPTY shells that I've found washed up on beaches and sand for mementos of our vacations and am aware that some areas don't permit it. Sometimes I'll research ahead of time and other times its posted. Shell collecting is not permitted in National Parks, Marine Reserves, and other protected areas and I'm aware of that so don't even bother.

But Carnival is apparently changing their policy and I have a feeling that rules and regulations have less to do with this policy change and think it has more to do with passengers who have collected shells with living animals in them and stunk up cabins with them or left them behind because they didn't want to have to deal with the smell. But either way, Carnival has changed their rules about seashells so they should probably update their website to included shells under "Prohibited Items".

Exactly! This is why you should always look up customs rules before going to different countries.

Two years ago I tried to bring a few pieces of coral found on the beach back on an RCI ship and they embarrassed the heck out of me. I brought back tons of shells and coral onto Carnival ships previously with never a problem so didn't think anything about it. Won't do that again!!!!

One of Carnival's excursions (in Grand Turk I think) goes conch diving and will prepare a conch salad for you on the boat. Several reviews on Carnival's site have stated they were given the empty conchs by the excursion staff. One per family to take home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this conch diving Excursion through Carnival in Grand Turk. The tour operator issued a receipt with our cabin number on it, one conch shell per family. No problems bringing it on the ship. The tour had cleaned and sanitized the conch shell. We did this excursion in November 2016 on the Conquest

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
Yes, Carnival has apparently changed their policy about bringing collected sea shells back onboard their ships.

John Heald posted on his social media page about a month ago that Carnival page about bringing shells back onboard: This was copied and pasted from his page so information is correct:"Please dont try and bring sea shells on the ships - they are not allowed and we have to throw them back into the sea before departure. Cheers". He then added the following comment: "I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT IF YOU PURCHASED THEM AND HAVE A RECEIPT THAT YOU CAN BRING THEM ON THE SHIP". :(

On Carnival's website, it mentions sea shells under the "Exemptions" below the "Prohibited Items", which states they are allowed: "Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism". I will also copy and paste and will also attach link (the part about seashells is at the very bottom of the page: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/carnival-cruise-line-additional-prohibited-items,-exemptions-and-other

And according to the website of the US Customs and Border Protection, small amounts of sea shells for "personal use" are allowed. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells,-sand,-pebbles,-driftwood-for-personal-use

We have been to Grand Turk on a cruise in 2010 and brought home some of the discarded, EMPTY, conch shells from the "conch graveyard" without any problems. According to the Turks and Caicos laws, each person is allowed to export 3 conch shells for personal use without needing a permit, but more than 3 per person will require a permit. Attaching the link: https://www.gov.tc/dema/forms-permits-and-fees

On the "Grand Turk" (Port of Call section of CC) boards, someone mentioned that on Carnival Sunshine cruise in January, they had their shells taken and also added "They even took the few tiny shells I had picked up." That is very contradictory to their website under the "Exemptions".

I collect small amounts of EMPTY shells that I've found washed up on beaches and sand for mementos of our vacations and am aware that some areas don't permit it. Sometimes I'll research ahead of time and other times its posted. Shell collecting is not permitted in National Parks, Marine Reserves, and other protected areas and I'm aware of that so don't even bother.

But Carnival is apparently changing their policy and I have a feeling that rules and regulations have less to do with this policy change and think it has more to do with passengers who have collected shells with living animals in them and stunk up cabins with them or left them behind because they didn't want to have to deal with the smell. But either way, Carnival has changed their rules about seashells so they should probably update their website to included shells under "Prohibited Items".

Thanks so much for this post. Although one of your links is no longer available. The others were very helpful indeed. I'm waiting to hear back From Turks & Caicos regarding conch taking conch shells from their islands, but in the meantime I was directed hear from someone in Law Enforcement for U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Thank-you again :)

Since shells are often found in souvenir shops, as in a shell necklace, I would say clean shells are allowed. If it is a spiral-type shell you picked up on a beach or in the water, it could have a crab or mollusk in it... that's not allowed.

If you find half of a scallop shell for example, which obviously has no animal in it, that's not a problem.

Coral can be living (and you never mess with that) but once it dies, breaks off, and washes up on the beach, it's just another rock waiting to become sand. Taking a small rock (as in a small amount of sand) is unlikely to get noticed. If you take something that is 20 lbs, you may have a hard time getting it past security. :D

We lived in Florida for years. When first pulled out of the water the conch shells have no odor .... but ... let it sit around a few days (without a soaking in a bleach and water bath) and the smell is HORRIBLE.

I'd imagine in a small ship cabin it would become quite nauseating :o