can I purchase a bottle of vodka from HAL for consumption in my cabin?

sandiego1

My husband likes to sit out on the veranda w/ a drink while I'm showering/getting ready for dinner. He prefers Kettle One. Can I purchase a bottle on board for him to enjoy in our cabin? I tried to look on the HAL site, but since my cruise is this Sat, I can't purchase anything online anymore.

If so, how much is the bottle and how large is it? Maybe I'll save a glass of juice from bkfast and have a small drink w/ him if I'm ready early :)

Here is a link to an Aug/16 listing: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

The prices may have changed since then. I don't see Kettle One on the listing but maybe one of the ones listed is comparable (I don't drink vodka so wouldn't know).

The bottles are 1 litre.

My husband likes to sit out on the veranda w/ a drink while I'm showering/getting ready for dinner. He prefers Kettle One. Can I purchase a bottle on board for him to enjoy in our cabin? I tried to look on the HAL site, but since my cruise is this Sat, I can't purchase anything online anymore.

If so, how much is the bottle and how large is it? Maybe I'll save a glass of juice from bkfast and have a small drink w/ him if I'm ready early :)

You can certainly buy vodka for your room.

You can buy it from room service or even inquire at a the bar.

I find HAL's liquor prices quite reasonable considering where you are.

I am not familiar with your brand, but if HAL doesn't have it, I am sure the bar tender can recommend something else that would hopefully be received well.

They have several brands that do not show on the HAL website.

Have a great cruise :)

Yikes, prices are high. A bottle of Belvedere is about $25 here vs. $90 (w/ service charge). I thought a 2-3x markup would be likely, not almost 4!

So he'll stick to the wine that we are bringing instead :-) We'll have 2 bottles that he can drink in the room w/o the corkage fee. The ones we'll bring to the dining room, we'll pay the corkage.

Yikes, prices are high. A bottle of Belvedere is about $25 here vs. $90 (w/ service charge). I thought a 2-3x markup would be likely, not almost 4!

So he'll stick to the wine that we are bringing instead :-) We'll have 2 bottles that he can drink in the room w/o the corkage fee. The ones we'll bring to the dining room, we'll pay the corkage.

The 15% is already included in the prices listed, not in addition to the listed price. So, using your example, it is about 3 times more expensive than your local bottle.

A liter of Belvedere is $43.99 at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. Add sales tax and you're at $46.63. There's no service charge since you have to go get it yourself. It's just under 2x markup. For reasons unknown to me, a 750 ml bottle at Total Wine is $23.99, but you'd need 1 and 1/3 bottles to equal a liter. That would come out to $31.91 with tax, meaning the ship's markup is just under 3x, which is what you were expecting.

You are correct - I misread the price sheet. $78.75 includes the service charge.

I can buy a 750ml bottle of Belvedere at Total Wine for $23.99, $25.43 w/ tax. So it's still triple the price.

Granted the HAL bottle is bigger, but he can't drink a liter of vodka in only 1 week so having "extra" isn't a benefit :) He'd probably only finish half a bottle at most since he would only drink it in the room. He's not comfortable making a drink in the room and then carrying it to dinner or a lounge.

You can go to the HAL web site and when you sign in where you can buy a shore excursion, specialty dinner and beverages. Click on the beverages and scroll all the way down and they have liquor and prices that will be in placed in your room. I'm thinking about ordering the Vodka and 3 tonic package for $46.

You can go to the HAL web site and when you sign in where you can buy a shore excursion, specialty dinner and beverages. Click on the beverages and scroll all the way down and they have liquor and prices that will be in placed in your room. I'm thinking about ordering the Vodka and 3 tonic package for $46.

OP is sailing on Saturday -- 3 days away -- can't order anything at this late date.

We always order a bottle or two of Grey Goose for the cabin -- our cruises are 14 days or longer.

Treat your DH and once on the ship, order a bottle for him and join him on the verandah for a cocktail.

If you are in a Neptune Suite or Pinnacle Suite the concierge can order the bottle for you.

On the Rotterdam in Oct/Nov/Dec, a 1 liter bottle of Ketel One was $45 plus 15%.

You are correct - I misread the price sheet. $78.75 includes the service charge.

I can buy a 750ml bottle of Belvedere at Total Wine for $23.99, $25.43 w/ tax. So it's still triple the price.

Granted the HAL bottle is bigger, but he can't drink a liter of vodka in only 1 week so having "extra" isn't a benefit :) He'd probably only finish half a bottle at most since he would only drink it in the room. He's not comfortable making a drink in the room and then carrying it to dinner or a lounge.

You can by a 50ml airplane bottle of Ketel One for $2.99 or $3.17 at Total Wine. That's only about 1/25th the cost. If you are going to make unequal comparisons to make the onboard liquor seem expensive, go small! ;)

I'd compare the cost of the bottle to the cost of the number drinks I'd get out of it - and what they'd cost. I can tell you that I'd be over the moon if I could drink all week for under $80 on a cruise.

You can by a 50ml airplane bottle of Ketel One for $2.99 or $3.17 at Total Wine. That's only about 1/25th the cost. If you are going to make unequal comparisons to make the onboard liquor seem expensive, go small! ;)

You buy those? *Evil Grin* I just flash a smile and I get a handful from the fight attendant. I am happy now that AA now stocks Bombay Sapphire.

A liter of Belvedere is $43.99 at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. Add sales tax and you're at $46.63.

Less than $3 of tax??? In Seattle the tax at that price would be about $12.79 - making ship prices not so bad.

What baffles me is that the stateroom delivery list does not include Brandy - of any brand - and Cognac is nice but way too expensive. Would be nice if they could include a mainstream Brandy in the price range of the Bourbons.

you obviously don't live where we do. We can't get that price here (the price you pay - not on board;) ) and our taxes are very high ;)

as pointed out, the service charge is included in the price you see on line. And they are 1 litre bottles. If it won't all be used, so be it. All you have to do is figure out the drink cost and your options will be clear.

If you think HAL's prices are high, don't look at the other cruise lines. They are very reasonable compared to others that I have seen.

Here's the in room beverage price list from the 45 day Atlantic Adventurer cruise on the Rotterdam (Oct 25th to Dec 9th).

Dalwhinnie Scotch $99 a bottle plus gratuity? I think that I would be drinking bourbon.