Need help deciding between 2 cruises for scuba and beaches.

KathiB

We are trying to decide between these two cruises of the Western Caribbean, for Jan. or Feb. 2018:

HAL Rotterdam: Tampa, Key West, Roatan, Costa Maya, Santo de Castillo (Guatamala), Tampa

RCL Rhapsody of the Seas: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize City, Costa Maya, Tampa.

Which would you prefer for scuba diving? We have not been to any except Costa Maya since we once spent a week in a house north of Mahahual. We are two sisters in our 60s. Active, out going, and interested in the ports, not so much shipboard activities. Any comments on the ships or itinerary are welcome. Thanks.

Both Roatan and Belize City offer excellent snorkeling because of their reef system. I was perusing the ports of call forums the other night and someone was complaining that they went snorkeling in Cozumel and were disappointed at not seeing much. Someone replied that Coz was best suited to scuba vs snorkel. I've also heard that Grand Cayman is good for scuba as well. I've never actually done scuba diving, so I don't have any personal experience, but others may be along for advice!

Either really just has one good snorkeling stop, though for scuba both Belize City and Cozumel work. Snorkeling in Belize is always an iffy proposition because it is usually very rough and the water is cloudy . It has gotten to the point that e skip snorkeling at Belize City. IMO the best snorkeling in the entire Caribbean is on Roatan.

All of the stops have good beaches, but except for Roatan most just have OK snorkeling at best, and some of it, like at Belize is just bad snorkeling.

Thank you so much for the replies. I am leaning towards Rhapsody for Cozumel and Grand Caymen. It's tough as I have been wanting to go to Roatan for a long time. I heard the diving is fantastic. We are divers but will snorkel if diving is not an option. In Belize we would probably go to one of the Mayan ruins as I have studied archeology and the Maya extensively. I guess my least favorite thing about the Rotterdam though is the stop in Key West. I grew up in South Florida and have been there. I would find it rather a waste of a port. The small ship size of the Rotterdam is appealing though as I really dislike large ships over about 1500. I wish there was a cruise combining Cozumel and Roatan! Thank you!

By today's standards, Rhapsody is a smaller ship and is one of RCI's smallest at about 2,400 passengers. It really doesn't have a crowded feel about it and does offer a wide variety of dining venues if that is of interest.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

Thank you, good to know. I do realize that by today's standards it is a smaller ship. I know those with children or a multigenerational group appreciate what a larger shop offers. I really don't like the large ships...probably as we are more concerned with interesting ports, good food, and interesting fellow travelers. We are booked on the 148 passenger Windspirit for Tahiti next July and am really looking forward to that experience. I don't want to spend that kind of money for this cruise so the Rhapsody fits the bill, even though it is over my normal limit of 1500 passengers.

Thank you, good to know. I do realize that by today's standards it is a smaller ship. I know those with children or a multigenerational group appreciate what a larger shop offers. I really don't like the large ships...probably as we are more concerned with interesting ports, good food, and interesting fellow travelers. We are booked on the 148 passenger Windspirit for Tahiti next July and am really looking forward to that experience. I don't want to spend that kind of money for this cruise so the Rhapsody fits the bill, even though it is over my normal limit of 1500 passengers.

Now that would be a "bucket list" cruise with me. That sounds terrific - hope you have a great time!

Thank you! Yes, a bucket list item for sure! Have been wanting to cruise Windstar in Tahiti for years. Our 35th anniversary seems like a perfect occasion.

I wish there was a cruise combining Cozumel and Roatan!

We sailed on NCL Getaway last year and are doing NCL Escape this year on the same Western Caribbean itinerary- both include stops in Roatan AND Cozumel. If you are looking for a smaller ship, I believe there are some NCL jewel class ships that do a western sailing that includes both of those port stops!