Benefits for Repeat Uniworld Cruisers in 2018 - Changes?

ewizabeff

I was browsing the Uniworld website, thinking about a 2018 cruise, and on the page detailing their River Heritage Club benefits for repeat cruisers, there is an asterisk saying all of their VIP benefits (free laundry, upgrade, etc.) are for 2017 only. There is no mention of 2018 benefits. The benefits listed in the 2018 brochure seem to remain the same (with some enhancements like making clear the laundry benefit applies outside of Europe as well). Has anyone heard anything about changes to this program?

As far as I know, the only change is there will no longer be free upgrades if there are any cabins available in the next category. Bummer. We have been fortunate to get that upgrade on 5 of our cruises. One advantage to cruising at the beginning or end of the season for any particular itinerary. We've been able to save a bit of $ to put toward the next cruise.

Counting down to cruise #8 in a few weeks. Yipeeee!

RB

Two more changes are that (1) they are going back to having specific excursions available only at an extra cost; (2) Port charges will be a separate line item as well.

So not as inclusive for 2018 and more like 2015.

I don't understand what you mean in #1.

Roz

I personally think the entire "port charges" thing should be part of the inclusive deal. I do, however, know that some of their regulars have cried to management about missed ports (typically because of water issues) expecting the port charges Uniworld would have paid to be reimbursed whether charged as a separate line item or not.

I think this entire port charges issue should disappear and Uniworld should just give us a bottom line all inclusive price. Uniworld did have included tours and optional tours on its 2017 cruises, at least in Egypt. I haven't perused all the European tours to see what they may do on each of those to comment. We also got our free bag of laundry last month on the Egypt cruise.

It doesn't surprise me that Uniworld is halting the free upgrade benefit. They are becoming very adept and bringing in outside groups, such as Uniworld Insight tours or others, for perhaps 2-3 day portions of a cruise in order to fill the ships. Then those groups go off on their merry way. Uniworld will sell that higher suite for those days.

I don't understand what you mean in #1.

Roz

Pre 2017 there were optional excursions offered at extra cost. Quite a few were offered on our Rhone itinerary and most were pricey.

In 2017 they are all included. For 2018 they are going back to charging for some and including others.

One step forward...

Different jurisdictions have both different rules and different customs. Uniworld publishes at least 4 brochures ( Canada, US, UK and Australia). Inclusions aren't necessarily the same. In Canada we have to quote airfare all-inclusive, including all taxes and fees. I only recently discovered that is still not true of vacation packages and cruises, which are regulated by the provinces and not by the federal government.

When I did an ocean cruise with Voyages to Antiquity, the Australian fares included tips, while ours didn't. They also marketed basically 4 week cruises to Aussies, while the North Americans were marketed 2 week segments.

Just got an email about the new catalog but haven't downloaded yet. Not sure we'll have time for a cruise next year with all the other crazy stuff I want to do but we'll see!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I'm surprised you didn't get a mailed copy. Mine arrived in Canada last week.