Heathrow to Southampton - National Express time question

We are flying into Heathrow (terminal 2) on an Air Canada flight from Toronto arriving 8:35 am. We are heading to Soughampton to spend the night for a cruise the following day. The departure time choices for NE are 9:45 am and 11:30 am. I am wondering if 9:45 is cutting it close given it is a long flight that could be late, plus the international customs, baggage and walk to the bus station in Heathrow. If I buy a 11 am ticket and then we end up making it for the 9:45, I wonder if they would let me take the earlier bus if there is room? Any advice.... thanks.

Book the earlier bus and pay the fee to switch to the later one if you have to. For an extra fiver you can get a flexible booking that allows for this. You will find it under "extras" on the booking form.

These buses fill up fast but they are well used to late arrivals - it is an airport :)

Edited by Bob++

thanks Bob. by filling up fast, you mean if I have a 11:30 ticket and show up for the 9:45 it could be full. But if I have a 9:45 ticket and show up at say 10 am for a 11:30 bus they likely will have room? that is they fill up the day of and not completely booked days before. If that were the case, by missing the 9:45 I could end up with nothing.... thanks.

I agree with LHT...only 1 hr 10 mins from scheduled arrival to bus...too tight; you won't need the stress after an overnight flight! Also, its a good 10-15 min walk from T2 to the Central Bus station. I would go for the 1130 and if by some miracle you could get the 0945, go for it (they will usually let you on if there is space without charging the £5 re booking fee). Otherwise just not have the stress of queueing and watching the time tick away.

Simon

thanks Bob. by filling up fast, you mean if I have a 11:30 ticket and show up for the 9:45 it could be full. But if I have a 9:45 ticket and show up at say 10 am for a 11:30 bus they likely will have room? that is they fill up the day of and not completely booked days before. If that were the case, by missing the 9:45 I could end up with nothing.... thanks.

Agreed

JB :)

I agree with LHT...only 1 hr 10 mins from scheduled arrival to bus...too tight; you won't need the stress after an overnight flight! Also, its a good 10-15 min walk from T2 to the Central Bus station. I would go for the 1130 and if by some miracle you could get the 0945, go for it (they will usually let you on if there is space without charging the £5 re booking fee). Otherwise just not have the stress of queueing and watching the time tick away.

Simon

And agreed again

(what an agreeable fellow I am :D)

• 1 month later...

DW and I will be cruising from Southampton in Sept. 10th and we were facing the same. Finally we just decided to fly to LHR on the 8th. Stay at a hotel at LHR the day we arrive where NE stops. Get a good nights sleep and then catch the NE with a stop at Stonehenge before going on to Southampton. Then we will spend night at hotel in Southampton and then board ship on the 10th. Just seemed to make things easier and not having to worry about transportation. As the saying goes, "Killing two birds with one stone".

Bob (Cruise-O-Matic)

I had planned my National Express ticket with a later time since I know I needed 90 minutes to go through customs/immigration. I was through earlier than I thought. I had no problem changing the ticket with no charge.

We are considering NE as well prior to our cruise in June. We land at lhr then heading over for 2 nights in Southampton prior to the cruise. Love the idea of stopping at Stonehenge, hadn't seen that option. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DW and I will be cruising from Southampton in Sept. 10th and we were facing the same. Finally we just decided to fly to LHR on the 8th. Stay at a hotel at LHR the day we arrive where NE stops. Get a good nights sleep and then catch the NE with a stop at Stonehenge before going on to Southampton. Then we will spend night at hotel in Southampton and then board ship on the 10th. Just seemed to make things easier and not having to worry about transportation. As the saying goes, "Killing two birds with one stone".

Bob (Cruise-O-Matic)

I'm intrigued by this. As there is no National Express stop at Stonehenge, how are you visiting it?

Simon

I'm intrigued by this. As there is no National Express stop at Stonehenge, how are you visiting it?

Simon

I'm intrigued too, Simon.

There's no Nat Express bus to Stonehenge.

Perhaps Bob means the International Friends cruise tour-transfer bus rather than Nat Express. Though that'd be on the cruise bus for a ship leaving same-day, rather than the one for Bob's cruise.

Or mebbe Nat Express to Salisbury, then the Stonehenge ho-ho? Complicated, but since Bob's not sailing that day it can be done.

What say you, Bob. :confused:

Actually I was going to suggest coming straight down to Southampton, stay in a hotel there (which I'm sure will be cheaper than a LHR hotel) and then do Salisbury and Stonehenge as a dy trip on the train.

The suspense is killing me!:o

Simon