Warning! Warning!!! T.i.

For all those interested just returned from the Freedom of the Seas and found out our credit card number was STOLEN!. The ONLY place this card was used was in Tanzanite International Grand Cayman. No other time was this card used. All our on board purchases were with the R.C. card. T.I. was a "trusted vendor" by RCL according to the on board "expert" Li. :eek:Ha! so much for "trusted". RCL should really examine with whom it deals in the future and if a percentage is worth the future distrust of this family on anything RCL sponsors on future cruises.

As far as the 6 day Western cruise it was "hmmmmp" and if you have any questions just ask.

For all those interested just returned from the Freedom of the Seas and found out our credit card number was STOLEN!. The ONLY place this card was used was in Tanzanite International Grand Cayman. No other time was this card used. All our on board purchases were with the R.C. card. T.I. was a "trusted vendor" by RCL according to the on board "expert" Li. :eek:Ha! so much for "trusted". RCL should really examine with whom it deals in the future and if a percentage is worth the future distrust of this family on anything RCL sponsors on future cruises.

As far as the 6 day Western cruise it was "hmmmmp" and if you have any questions just ask.

So, how was the cruise?

It's so easy for thieves to steal credit card info..they target high traffic areas

Impossible to know exactly who stole your number

The ONLY person / people who had any access to that card was the employees in T.I. store PERIOD. That particular card did not come out of the wallet and had a zero balance on the card. Not used in any public transaction. It is suspicious that the card leaves with the employee into a back room during the sale. There was no other time that card could have been compromised except in that store at that time in Grand Cayman.

So, how was the cruise?

Being our third time on the Freedom it was so - so. She is showing her age and I feel the money is being sucked out of the ship and put into the new builds. We had a suite and the deck glass looked as if it was a high rise window in China, filthy with salt and dirt. Worn carpet and a toilet that ran and overflowed and shower that flooded the floor of the bathroom. Sad to see her in this condition. Crew was very good as was the food in general. Shore excursions was a cluster - - - - IMO.

The ONLY person / people who had any access to that card was the employees in T.I. store PERIOD. That particular card did not come out of the wallet and had a zero balance on the card. Not used in any public transaction. It is suspicious that the card leaves with the employee into a back room during the sale. There was no other time that card could have been compromised except in that store at that time in Grand Cayman.

Spent about an hour with FRAUD division of one of our credit cards this morning. Husband made a purchase at Home Depot about 150 miles from our house and payment with his card was declined. Fraud lady said it was because they thought someone had his card and they froze his account. He tried to buy gas today at a station back home and could not since account was frozen.

The person told me that they can now scan your card while it is in your wallet and I had been told this previously. You will never know who did it as they protect the guilty and refuse to tell who or where your number was compromised. We returned from a cruise on Summit a few years ago and I had $500 charge on my care for Apple I tunes. At the time I didn't even know what they were as I do not have an Apple I phone. I had to complete paperwork and submit to CC company but they would not tell me who had charged on my card.

Scary world we line in.

Credit card fraud has joined death and taxes as inevitable. Like it or not anyone who has a credit card needs to accept this is going to happen occasionally. Yes it's wrong and frustrating, but not worth getting worked up over it.

Yeah, you should write RCCL about a store on an island that you think is the culprit. I'm sure they'll spend a lot of time investigating and revising their shopping program..........

OK, I have to share this "credit card number was stolen" story. My husband had a card that some fraudulent charges showed up on. No problem, the CC company credited the charges back and sent out a new card with a new number. The new card arrived, hubby called and activated it, and the next day we got a call from the CC company that somebody in another country had purchased something with it. WE NEVER USED IT. All that happened was it got activated. He cancelled the card, convinced somebody in the CC company itself was stealing the numbers when they were activated.

Moral of the story - your credit card number can be hacked anytime, anywhere. Just accept it as being part of living with credit cards and know what to do when it happens. Because it WILL happen.

Spent about an hour with FRAUD division of one of our credit cards this morning. Husband made a purchase at Home Depot about 150 miles from our house and payment with his card was declined. Fraud lady said it was because they thought someone had his card and they froze his account. He tried to buy gas today at a station back home and could not since account was frozen.

The person told me that they can now scan your card while it is in your wallet and I had been told this previously. You will never know who did it as they protect the guilty and refuse to tell who or where your number was compromised. We returned from a cruise on Summit a few years ago and I had $500 charge on my care for Apple I tunes. At the time I didn't even know what they were as I do not have an Apple I phone. I had to complete paperwork and submit to CC company but they would not tell me who had charged on my card.

Scary world we line in.

You need to purchase the RFID blocker. I have sleeves for all of my cards and I have them for my passport and also my purse is RFID bocker. Not taking any chances.

Thanks for reporting this. RFID blockers are a good idea. Card info can be stolen from anywhere. it's also why when we cruise we try to use cash in ports not cards.

While I'm sure stuff in the display counters look wonderful and the sales guys will schmooze all over you, I'd think more than twice before buying anything from DI or TI or other port vendors with or without a cc.

Most theft is not done by a company, but by an individual, that might work for a company. All the cards I carry will send me a text for every time a charge is made after a set amount that I selected. Most credit cards have apps you can now use to check your balances. If you use one card all the time, it's easy to monitor. So a few months ago, my number was lifted. I'm sure I knew where it was and let the store know. Within 5 minutes of the purchase, I was on the phone with the company that accepted the card, and they "cancelled" the order immediately, and I called the bank, and they issued me a new card.

It can happen anywhere, anyplace or with anyone. Your post, although directed at RCCL to blame, still has some merit to remind everyone to always take as many steps as you can to protect yourself, and always keep a watchful eye on credit cards.

I would in a polite way, let RCCL know this happened in case they have other reports and they can add to it. Don't expect them to respond since it's not their company nor can it even be proven that the company had anything to do with it. Also, let the store know this happened. If indeed it is a bad apple on their staff, they might be able to catch the person in the act.

It might have happened without the card number being "stolen"...it's happened to us where someone in ANOTHER country actually HAD a card with our number on it...the thieves are very sophisticated nowadays. Thankfully, the credit card company called us, stopped the card and sent new ones....it's a PIA, but it happens ALL the time.

I only mention RCL because RCL has a defacto relationship with this company and has endorses this company when shopping. A reputation takes a lifetime to establish yet a minute to ruin. RCL should suspend it's association with the company or at least not sponsor it in their presentations. I am sure this theft happens more than is reported and such does not make it look good for RCL.Only my opinion.

Being our third time on the Freedom it was so - so. She is showing her age and I feel the money is being sucked out of the ship and put into the new builds. We had a suite and the deck glass looked as if it was a high rise window in China, filthy with salt and dirt. Worn carpet and a toilet that ran and overflowed and shower that flooded the floor of the bathroom. Sad to see her in this condition. Crew was very good as was the food in general. Shore excursions was a cluster - - - - IMO.

Sorry to hear that....Loved Freedom but haven't been on her for several years. One of my pet peeves is salt crusted dirty windows. My Panama Canal cruise on the Legend had windows (ocean View, no balcony) that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. UGH!

It really can happen anywhere, anytime. We were in the Caribbean in November, 2015, and when we got to the airport in Orlando, my husband starting getting these emails from Costco. Obviously, we weren't checking emails on the cruise. We only used my CC in Grand Turk, but it was his CC that was compromised. It was actually done before I even used mine in GT. And yes, they're completely different numbers. Luckily, Costco (and Amex at that time) were great and reversed everything immediately.