Segmented itineraries and Mariner Status

DocJohnB

First off, this is not an earth shattering question, but just one of the "I was wondering" kind.

I am booked on a 19 night night cruise from San Diego - Boston. In reality, or at least IMO, it is a segmented cruise as passengers will be embarked/disembarded in San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale and Boston. The cruises have been sold as 1) San Diego - Ft Lauderdale,

2) San Diego - Boston, 3) Ft. Lauderdale - Montreal and 4) Boston - Montreal. Of course, no Ft. Lauderdale - Boston segment.

Now, 11 days into SD - FLL segment, I will reach the 3* Mariner status.

My question is when will I attain that status. When I have to debark/embark in Ft. Lauderdale in order to go through customs as I believe is required, or when they kick me off in Boston because my ticket ends there? :loudcry:

I believe I know the answer to my question, but would like input from those more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks.

My experience did not get me the next star until I completed the cruise on which I was booked. My cruise could have been booked San Diego to San Diego (30 days) or San Diego to Vancouver (33 days) or San Diego to Seattle (35 days). I was on the 33 day cruise but had enough days to go from 1 to 2 star during the first 30. I was not considered 2 star on the final three day portion.

According to the FAQs on the website, one does not attain their next star level until the following cruise. The exception would be Grand Voyages. I'd post a link but the HAL website isn't working for me right now. Maybe it will work for you; here's a link to the link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?WT.ac=pNavLP_AlreadyBooked_bx_MarinerSociety_btn#/17. The question is #16; I can't get at the answer right now.

I have read of others who were able to successfully upgrade to the higher level on a Collector's Cruise (B2B) but I wouldn't count on it.

According to the FAQs on the website, one does not attain their next star level until the following cruise. The exception would be Grand Voyages. I'd post a link but the HAL website isn't working for me right now. Maybe it will work for you; here's a link to the link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?WT.ac=pNavLP_AlreadyBooked_bx_MarinerSociety_btn#/17. The question is #16; I can't get at the answer right now.

I have read of others who were able to successfully upgrade to the higher level on a Collector's Cruise (B2B) but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks. I was able to access the link. Answered my question. That is what I was thinking - just hoping it was different. The question was #17. Appreciate the response.

Thanks. I was able to access the link. Answered my question. That is what I was thinking - just hoping it was different. The question was #17. Appreciate the response.

Oops, you're right. I was looking at the list of questions; there it shows as #16. When I scrolled down to the answers (why didn't I think of that earlier?), it is indeed #17. Maybe that's why the link didn't work in the list of questions!

[/quote

Did you book the 19 days under one booking number or two? If two, would you not receive your 3 star status on the second segment (your "next" cruise)?

[/quote

Did you book the 19 days under one booking number or two? If two, would you not receive your 3 star status on the second segment (your "next" cruise)?

Only one booking. Because of the PSA, the FLL to BOS is not a segment.

Only one booking. Because of the PSA, the FLL to BOS is not a segment.

If you could have booked it ( I know it's not possible) you would have to stood a chance following certain protocol (including contacting the Mariner's Society).

Sadly, if it's a collectors' you will have to wait for your next cruise to reap the rewards but I am sure you will have a great time anyways :)

My experience was different, and surprising.

We were on a 48 night cruise, a segment of 53- and 52- night itineraries: Seattle to Vancouver to San Diego... south Pacific and back to San Diego. We were r/t San Diego, not a Grand Cruise. At the 31 night point of our 48 night cruise we found pins and a letter from the front desk to get out cards re-done to show our 4 stars.

We did not request this, knowing the rules. So when we re-carded I said that I thought they only did this on Grand Cruises.... and was told, we'll, we do it on long cruises too. There was no definition of what a "long cruise" means.

So you could ask, no harm in that. m--

My experience was different, and surprising.

We were on a 48 night cruise, a segment of 53- and 52- night itineraries: Seattle to Vancouver to San Diego... south Pacific and back to San Diego. We were r/t San Diego, not a Grand Cruise. At the 31 night point of our 48 night cruise we found pins and a letter from the front desk to get out cards re-done to show our 4 stars.

We did not request this, knowing the rules. So when we re-carded I said that I thought they only did this on Grand Cruises.... and was told, we'll, we do it on long cruises too. There was no definition of what a "long cruise" means.

So you could ask, no harm in that. m--

Absolutely right: no harm in asking because each ship does its own thing and who knows what will happen.

Oops, you're right. I was looking at the list of questions; there it shows as #16. When I scrolled down to the answers (why didn't I think of that earlier?), it is indeed #17. Maybe that's why the link didn't work in the list of questions!

Alberta Quilter - Nice to see you posting. Any cruises for this year? I'm heading to Hawaii next month (the cruise you and your mum did last year). Can't wait to get away.

Alberta Quilter - Nice to see you posting. Any cruises for this year? I'm heading to Hawaii next month (the cruise you and your mum did last year). Can't wait to get away.

No, 'fraid not. We cancelled the 21 day Rotterdam cruise, that we were to be on last month, before final payment. No cruises planned until the fall of 2018, unfortunately. Hope you have a great time in Hawaii!

On a 24 night Transpacific cruise last year, my Husband received his 2* Marine pin with a congratulatory letter and new key card. I'm hoping this will happen again as I'll be 3* halfway through our Med cruise this year. Fingers crossed [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have TWO booking numbers for your segments, it's possible to change your status during the cruise if the Mariner's society agrees: when we were on a B2B cruise ( two segments, two booking numbers) last year we would have fulfilled the 75-points requirement during the first half of the first cruise. When I contacted Koningsdam's help desk they were able to offer me our new status and keycards but only AFTER the first segment was concluded . It was not possible during the cruise though.

We sailed a 28 day collector cruise in December in Asia. We booked the entire 28 days under one booking number. As we were on the cusp of reaching 3* Mariner status (5 days short at start of first segment) I asked our TA to ask Seattle if we would have new status for second segment. I was told this would be possible and to take our room cards to the front desk for new cards at the start of the second segment. This I did and of course the front desk knew nothing about it. They said the change was not possible. I asked them to please ask Seattle Mariners Society once more. Fortunately I had a copy of our TA instructions, quoting Seattle's initial response and after two days, we were granted the new 3*status (and pins). The front desk told me that I should have requested this change when we boarded so they could straighten it out in advance. And as a post script, the lovely little velvety pin bags are a thing of the past. I've used those bags to store pearls for travel in the past . New bags are smaller and quite useless;)

Bottom line is you should ask. Print copies of responses and persevere. Good luck!

We sailed a 28 day collector cruise in December in Asia. We booked the entire 28 days under one booking number. As we were on the cusp of reaching 3* Mariner status (5 days short at start of first segment) I asked our TA to ask Seattle if we would have new status for second segment. I was told this would be possible and to take our room cards to the front desk for new cards at the start of the second segment. This I did and of course the front desk knew nothing about it. They said the change was not possible. I asked them to please ask Seattle Mariners Society once more. Fortunately I had a copy of our TA instructions, quoting Seattle's initial response and after two days, we were granted the new 3*status (and pins). The front desk told me that I should have requested this change when we boarded so they could straighten it out in advance. And as a post script, the lovely little velvety pin bags are a thing of the past. I've used those bags to store pearls for travel in the past . New bags are smaller and quite useless;)

Bottom line is you should ask. Print copies of responses and persevere. Good luck!

Good story, excellent advice. Unfortunate that you had to go to such lengths, but this seems common.

Diana and I will be reaching Four Star status halfway through our Collector's cruise in May. I called the Mariner's Society desk and they said to tell the front desk people when we checked in aboard the ship. No guarantees but they may allow us to upgrade at the halfway point. I have hear of other Four Star people getting their upgrades that way but it certainly is not a done deal. :)