Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

Well sure, except that your snotty reply is invalid. Until this past cruise on the Carnival Vista, we've always received exemplary service, tablecloths, and wonderful food in the Main Dining Room. I paid more for that 6 day than I've paid for 8 day cruises on other ships. I expect a certain level of service no matter what line I sail and I do not like American Table. I have told Carnival I do not like it, and if others do not like it as well, I will tell them to tell Carnival. How else will we be heard? As you said, it's my money.

Sure, I've paid more for a 5 night cruise in July than a 7 night cruise in January. Comparing apples to oranges is no comparison. On average, a Carnival cruise is cheaper than most any other cruise given the same day, cabin, and cruise length. If you don't like the American Table and you have told Carnival and they refuse to change, sail with someone else. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

I haven't cruised since 2011 on the Glory, and was very satisfied with the food.

The lack of tablecloths, however, I will NOT stop complaining about.

They had table clothes on the Glory in 2011 so what are you complaining about? You've never been on a Carnival ship that didn't have table clothes.

Complain all you want but unless you are complaining to someone who can actually do something about the complaint, it's all just white noise.

I think it's the expectations people set for themselves. The OP said it and I totally agree....the MDR IS NOT FINE DINING.

That is your opinion......it is not a fact as you are trying to claim it to be. To me, the MDR is exactly what I expect in a fine dining experience and I enjoy very much.

As for the towel waving that everyone keeps going on about on Carnival, imagine my surprise when they did the servers did the little dance parade and cruisers were waving their towels (food bits and all) on the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL) just two weeks ago. I guess RCCL hasn't gotten the memo that they are too classy for that stuff.

so tired of people complaining about the "quality" of the MDR food on Carnival. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FINE DINING FOOD

Carnival no longer positions the MDR as "fine dining." Fine dining would imply a tablecloth.

That is your opinion......it is not a fact as you are trying to claim it to be. To me, the MDR is exactly what I expect in a fine dining experience and I enjoy very much.

As for the towel waving that everyone keeps going on about on Carnival, imagine my surprise when they did the servers did the little dance parade and cruisers were waving their towels (food bits and all) on the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL) just two weeks ago. I guess RCCL hasn't gotten the memo that they are too classy for that stuff.

Again, I was agreeing with the OP who said that the MDR is not fine dining as far as food quality. Is it good food, yes. Banquet halls have GOOD food too. If Carnival is the best steak/Italian/Seafood/etc meal you ever had, you haven't been to many fine dining restaurants

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Again, I was agreeing with the OP who said that the MDR is not fine dining as far as food quality. Is it good food, yes. Banquet halls have GOOD food too. If Carnival is the best steak/Italian/Seafood/etc meal you ever had, you haven't been to many fine dining restaurants

If you mean spending $50 for a steak as fine dining, yes, I've done a few. Berns in Tampa, Narcoosee's, Gordon Ramsey's steakhouse in Vegas, and a couple of others. Now, while I will give you the steaks were larger and better quality at those restaurants, the atmosphere, service, nor taste was any better IMO. That being said, how about you hop off that podium you think you're own and stop being snotty. Just because YOU don't like the MDR or don't think it's fine dining doesn't make that correct for anyone else. I'm sure there are people out there who would probably think what you consider to be fine dining to be pure rubbish, but most of them would probably be too polite to tell you that,

They had table clothes on the Glory in 2011 so what are you complaining about? You've never been on a Carnival ship that didn't have table clothes.

Complain all you want but unless you are complaining to someone who can actually do something about the complaint, it's all just white noise.

Because I've seen photos without the table cloths and it looks tacky. I loved the experience of eating in the MDR with the table cloths every night. I know this sounds cheesy but it reminded me of Titanic (obviously I'm aware that Carnival is nowhere near the Titanic level) but it was just romantic and I ended up meeting my last bf on that cruise. To not have them just makes me a little sad.

Because I've seen photos without the table cloths and it looks tacky. I loved the experience of eating in the MDR with the table cloths every night. I know this sounds cheesy but it reminded me of Titanic (obviously I'm aware that Carnival is nowhere near the Titanic level) but it was just romantic and I ended up meeting my last bf on that cruise. To not have them just makes me a little sad.

So if all you are worried about is table clothes, don't sail Carnival and all of your worries will be behind you. I just came off the Vista yesterday and only had table clothes 2 of the 8 evenings (was the first time with the American table for me) and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I simply asked for an additional napkin to put my utensils on and I was good to go. So if table clothes are a requirement, there are several other cruise lines that can fill that need,

If you mean spending $50 for a steak as fine dining, yes, I've done a few. Berns in Tampa, Narcoosee's, Gordon Ramsey's steakhouse in Vegas, and a couple of others. Now, while I will give you the steaks were larger and better quality at those restaurants, the atmosphere, service, nor taste was any better IMO. That being said, how about you hop off that podium you think you're own and stop being snotty. Just because YOU don't like the MDR or don't think it's fine dining doesn't make that correct for anyone else. I'm sure there are people out there who would probably think what you consider to be fine dining to be pure rubbish, but most of them would probably be too polite to tell you that,

Go look at all my posts about the Ships Steakhouses....I have said over and over that the ambiance is great and the service is top notch. I have said over and over the steaks are GOOD (it seems on here if you say something is good, that is somehow an insult [emoji848]). I have been to Berns as well....Sorry, no Carnival Steakhouse steak compares to Berns as far as taste. Please show me where I posted that I didn't like the MDR....I'll wait....you won't find it because I never remotely implied that....You seem to assume because I said something isn't "fine dining" means I don't like it. There are plenty of food trucks with awesome food. That doesn't make them fine dining

Go look at all my posts about the Ships Steakhouses....I have said over and over that the ambiance is great and the service is top notch. I have said over and over the steaks are GOOD (it seems on here if you say something is good, that is somehow an insult [emoji848]). I have been to Berns as well....Sorry, no Carnival Steakhouse steak compares to Berns as far as taste. Please show me where I posted that I didn't like the MDR....I'll wait....you won't find it because I never remotely implied that....You seem to assume because I said something isn't "fine dining" means I don't like it. There are plenty of food trucks with awesome food. That doesn't make them fine dining

Again, that's just your opinion. To me, my steak at Berns was overcooked and a bit dry and the Steakhouse on Carnival was fantastic. But that being said, we're not talking about the Steakhouse, we're talking about the MDR. And your supposed fact that Carnival's MDR is NOT fine dining (I can point out where you said that if you like). So based on your supposed fact, please show some type of proof as to what the minimum requirements are for fine dining.....other than your opinion......to support your supposed fact. If the MDR isn't fancy enough for you, that's fine, feel free to state that. But don't try and tell others what fine dining is supposed to mean to them.

Again, that's just your opinion. To me, my steak at Berns was overcooked and a bit dry and the Steakhouse on Carnival was fantastic. But that being said, we're not talking about the Steakhouse, we're talking about the MDR. And your supposed fact that Carnival's MDR is NOT fine dining (I can point out where you said that if you like). So based on your supposed fact, please show some type of proof as to what the minimum requirements are for fine dining.....other than your opinion......to support your supposed fact. If the MDR isn't fancy enough for you, that's fine, feel free to state that. But don't try and tell others what fine dining is supposed to mean to them.

Food and atmoshere, including the notorious tablecloth debate is not a right or wrong issue. Your comment bombing this thread doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone else's. Yelling louder than everyone else doesn't make you right. For some people, a meal is an event. They're allowed to express their disappointment in current trends. For others like me, we're happy just walking around eating off of a plate of tasty food. It's not the same for everyone.

Food and atmoshere, including the notorious tablecloth debate is not a right or wrong issue. Your comment bombing this thread doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone else's. Yelling louder than everyone else doesn't make you right. For some people, a meal is an event. They're allowed to express their disappointment in current trends. For others like me, we're happy just walking around eating off of a plate of tasty food. It's not the same for everyone.

Excuse me but you must have quoted the wrong post. I am pretty much the only person here who has clearly stated my opinions as opinions and not tried to pass off my opinion as if it were a fact. Please direct your statement to the proper poster(s).

The OP put it out there that the MDR was not fine dining. I was agreeing with it. Yes, its an opinion!!!! I am entitled to express my opinion, but you want me to "prove" it somehow. Its like you want me to justify my opinion to you :rolleyes:....I look at the MDR similarly to how i look at a banquet hall. That is the type of food. Is it good food, absolutely....I dont however consider it to be "fine dining"....A banquet hall and a cruise ship is cooking for anywhere from 1000-3000 at a seating. That is quite a challenge for a restaurant staff. If anyone expects the chefs to be able to put their signature on 1500 meals at one time, that is unreasonable. I know some fine dining restaurants that serves as little as 30 meals a night. Thats a whole lot easier to manage than 1500....Its about perception. If you expect the MDR to have quality and taste of a fine dining restaurant, than you have unreasonable expectations. If you are used to picnic tables and plastic utensils, then yes, what you get in the MDR during a cruise would be considered "fine dining"....Now before you go off the deep end, i never said i didnt like the MDR. I do....The food is GOOD and the waitstaff busts their buttocks to make it a nice experience....That being said, IN MY OPINION, it isnt fine dining. (y)

Asking people to stop complaining about MDR is like asking people not to make comments on Yelp. It ain't gonna happen. I wish I had paid better attention to the complaints about the MDR prior to my cruise. For me the dinner in the MDR is a big part of the cruise. Well had tablecloths on the Imagination and unlike the overall weird decor of the rest of the ship, I really liked the MDR. The friends I was with preferred the buffet.

Actually the term "fine dining" is very formally defined by a good number of restaurant organizations and no matter which definition you use CCL's MDR (and the Steakhouse too for that matter) do not meet the various formal definitions for "fine dining". I do see what you are saying, to some it may seem like fine dining, but that doesn't make it so.

Actually the term "fine dining" is very formally defined by a good number of restaurant organizations ...

It may be quite useful for you to post those definitions. Authoritative sources may not put the debate to rest but surely will help categorize a certain opinions as being counter to The Standard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No. We can't. Because once we accept lower quality, then we have given up.

Once we accept lower quality, Carnival will lower the quality yet again.

Once we accept lower quality, then the standards will never rise.

Do not accept. Complain about the food. Complain about the lack of tablecloths. Complain about cold entrees Complain about the lack of service. Be heard.

I will not be complacent with my money. :)

Tablecloths don't bother me. Many fine dining places have quit using tablecloths. We care about the environment and this is much more environmentally friendly. I have never been served a cold entree, understand it happens, guess I'm just lucky. Service has always been acceptable if not outstanding. And, If you are a constant complainer, you won't be heard. Be friendly, cheerful, and happy and when you do have an issue, you will be heard!!

Pat

Tablecloths don't bother me. Many fine dining places have quit using tablecloths. We care about the environment and this is much more environmentally friendly. I have never been served a cold entree, understand it happens, guess I'm just lucky. Service has always been acceptable if not outstanding. And, If you are a constant complainer, you won't be heard. Be friendly, cheerful, and happy and when you do have an issue, you will be heard!!

Pat

I love everything about this post <3

Pat

Well said Pat, couldn't agree more....there is a subset of cruisers that actually enjoy complaining...."My soup is to hot". "My soup is to cold". "My towel animal isn't on my bed". "My steward didn't make my room up early enough and there are only 8 ice cubes in my ice bucket when I specifically like 10 cubes". Some of these people treat the GS line like an excursion, they LOVE being there!!!!

I know its off the MDR topic, but probably not fair to compare the Carnival Steakhouse to Bern's. Ruth's Criss would be better comparison since the Ruth's, like Carnival used "wet" aged steaks, while Bern's "dry" ages theirs. While both aging techniques produce a nice tender steak, the flavor and "juiciness" will be different.

It may be quite useful for you to post those definitions. Authoritative sources may not put the debate to rest but surely will help categorize a certain opinions as being counter to The Standard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here are the AAA Diamond standards:

1 Diamond- Simple, economical food, often quick-serve, in a functional environment.

2 Diamonds- Familiar food, often cooked to order, served in casual surroundings.

3 Diamonds- Trendy cuisine, skillfully prepared and served, with expanded beverage options, in an enhanced setting.

4 Diamonds- Distinctive fine-dining. Creative preparations, skillfully served, often with wine steward, amid upscale ambience.

5 Diamonds- Leading-edge cuisine of the finest ingredients, uniquely prepared by an acclaimed chef, served by expert service staff led by maître d’ in extraordinary surroundings.

Based on the above I would put CCL's MDR at 2.5 Diamonds. Of course there are other definitions and standards.

Here are the AAA Diamond standards:

1 Diamond- Simple, economical food, often quick-serve, in a functional environment.

2 Diamonds- Familiar food, often cooked to order, served in casual surroundings.

3 Diamonds- Trendy cuisine, skillfully prepared and served, with expanded beverage options, in an enhanced setting.

4 Diamonds- Distinctive fine-dining. Creative preparations, skillfully served, often with wine steward, amid upscale ambience.

5 Diamonds- Leading-edge cuisine of the finest ingredients, uniquely prepared by an acclaimed chef, served by expert service staff led by maître d’ in extraordinary surroundings.

Based on the above I would put CCL's MDR at 2.5 Diamonds. Of course there are other definitions and standards.

Agree....2.5 Diamonds is a fair assessment

Just returned from the Glory. The MDR was probably the best part of the cruise. I was only disappointed in one meal and that was the one that is normally my favorite - prime rib. It was very undercooked and had no flavor. Learned my lesson and didn't order it the next time it was offered.

I have found there are people who can complain about ANYTHING! Personally, I love the entire MDR experience and am always impressed by how well they can serve a nice meal to so many people.