Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

The OP put it out there that the MDR was not fine dining. I was agreeing with it. Yes, its an opinion!!!! I am entitled to express my opinion, but you want me to "prove" it somehow. Its like you want me to justify my opinion to you :rolleyes:....I look at the MDR similarly to how i look at a banquet hall. That is the type of food. Is it good food, absolutely....I dont however consider it to be "fine dining"....A banquet hall and a cruise ship is cooking for anywhere from 1000-3000 at a seating. That is quite a challenge for a restaurant staff. If anyone expects the chefs to be able to put their signature on 1500 meals at one time, that is unreasonable. I know some fine dining restaurants that serves as little as 30 meals a night. Thats a whole lot easier to manage than 1500....Its about perception. If you expect the MDR to have quality and taste of a fine dining restaurant, than you have unreasonable expectations. If you are used to picnic tables and plastic utensils, then yes, what you get in the MDR during a cruise would be considered "fine dining"....Now before you go off the deep end, i never said i didnt like the MDR. I do....The food is GOOD and the waitstaff busts their buttocks to make it a nice experience....That being said, IN MY OPINION, it isnt fine dining. (y)

Thank you for the snotty reply while expressing your opinions. I guess if others don't see things the way you do they must live in and eat from a garbage can. :rolleyes:

Actually the term "fine dining" is very formally defined by a good number of restaurant organizations and no matter which definition you use CCL's MDR (and the Steakhouse too for that matter) do not meet the various formal definitions for "fine dining". I do see what you are saying, to some it may seem like fine dining, but that doesn't make it so.

Compared to what I do at home and the places I go to when eating out (Chili's, Red lobster, Bahama Breeze, etc....), I would most definitely consider the MDR on Carnival to be fine dining. I'm sure I could sail Regent or Crystal and maybe get 10% better service or food choices (I have seen no problem with the quality of what I received on the Vista last week) but I'd have to pay 500% more for the cruise. Simply not cost effective and a huge waste of money for so little gain.

4 Diamonds- Distinctive fine-dining. Creative preparations, skillfully served, often with wine steward, amid upscale ambience.

This is exactly what I consider the MDR experience on Carnival. Granted, I'm a down to Earth kind of guy and so that may reflect my opinion but what is stated above is what I feel I get in the MDR.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I hate threads like this or titled like this. If you want to say Carnival has good food, just say it, I will agree. Don't get your panties in a bunch when people express their opinions when they are different than yours, especially in a place called cruise critic.

That being said, I really like the food in the MDR. Every thing tastes good and the variety and amount you can order are awesome! My only complaint is I think in general the food in all of the establishments are a little saltier than what I like at home, but I notice that at most restaurants, just a my palate vs the rest of the world thing. My partner and I also did our first all-inclusive and I thought cruise food (not just CCL) is hands down better and has more of a selection.

Love reading these boards but so tired of people complaining about the "quality" of the MDR food on Carnival. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FINE DINING FOOD, people .... Perhaps some people just need to adjust their expectations? I consider the MDR food to be "Banquet Quality" ... which is as good as anyone should expect ... its not possible to push out thousands of "fine dining" meals in such a short amount of time. With my "Banquet Quality" expectations ... I am rarely disappointed with anything I get in the MDR, and If I am, I just order something else. Better yet I typically order multiple entrees and starters anyway and usually like at least one thing they bring. :)

If you truly want an elevated food experience ... then simply factor an extra $245 into your cruise fare and book the Steakhouse every night for your 7 night carnival cruise -

.....And before you start saying that "This line or that line has better food than CCL" ... consider that "those lines" also charge significantly MORE to book your cruise than carnivals fare + $35/day for the steakhouse.

Thank you for letting me rant. :)

I find nothing wrong with the food. I can always find something that is good.

Compared to what I do at home and the places I go to when eating out (Chili's, Red lobster, Bahama Breeze, etc....), I would most definitely consider the MDR on Carnival to be fine dining. I'm sure I could sail Regent or Crystal and maybe get 10% better service or food choices (I have seen no problem with the quality of what I received on the Vista last week) but I'd have to pay 500% more for the cruise. Simply not cost effective and a huge waste of money for so little gain.

This is exactly what I consider the MDR experience on Carnival. Granted, I'm a down to Earth kind of guy and so that may reflect my opinion but what is stated above is what I feel I get in the MDR.

That's the thing with standards, they are both objective and subjective. I do fully understand what you are saying. I was talking about this with my eldest son this morning and prior to our cruise on the Sky the fanciest restaurant any of the kids ever ate in was Friendly's, so the Sky MDR seemed like fine dining to them. I am perfectly fine with the MDR on CCL but I also see it for what it is and don't try to make it what it isn't. Frankly while the service in the MDR was acceptable to us on Fascination there were small faux pas committed during the week that I would not have tolerated in a fine dining establishment and in all honesty wouldn't have happened in one. It's nice that you consider CCL's MDR to have an upscale ambience, but objectively it isn't (and CCL doesn't market it as such).

That's the thing with standards, they are both objective and subjective. I do fully understand what you are saying. I was talking about this with my eldest son this morning and prior to our cruise on the Sky the fanciest restaurant any of the kids ever ate in was Friendly's, so the Sky MDR seemed like fine dining to them. I am perfectly fine with the MDR on CCL but I also see it for what it is and don't try to make it what it isn't. Frankly while the service in the MDR was acceptable to us on Fascination there were small faux pas committed during the week that I would not have tolerated in a fine dining establishment and in all honesty wouldn't have happened in one. It's nice that you consider CCL's MDR to have an upscale ambience, but objectively it isn't (and CCL doesn't market it as such).

Just begging to be asked......what was the faux pas? :D

Compared to what I do at home and the places I go to when eating out (Chili's, Red lobster, Bahama Breeze, etc....), I would most definitely consider the MDR on Carnival to be fine dining. I'm sure I could sail Regent or Crystal and maybe get 10% better service or food choices (I have seen no problem with the quality of what I received on the Vista last week) but I'd have to pay 500% more for the cruise. Simply not cost effective and a huge waste of money for so little .

Chilis and Red Lobster aren't close to fine dining. They are basically nice fast food joints. So when you say the MDR is a better dining experience (which I happen to agree with), doesn't elevate the MDR into a fine dining category. You are setting the bar to low

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the snotty reply while expressing your opinions. I guess if others don't see things the way you do they must live in and eat from a garbage can. :rolleyes:

I wasn't being snotty....I said that if you are used to dining on a picnic table with plastic utensils, I could understand how a cruise ship dining room could be mistaken for fine dining. If you are used to staying in a hostel, then one time stay at a Red Roof Inn, would you claim that the RRI was a 5 star resort? It wasn't snotty, it was an observation

11 cruises and we've eaten in the MDR once. Not because we think the food is bad but rather we don't cruise for the food. We love the elegant nights when the majority of people eat in the MDR and it almost seems like we have the ship to ourselves.

Lol! I think he meant what was it that happened at the fine dining establishment? I was curious as well!

Oh goodness, I completely misread the question:o. These mistakes were made in the CCL MDR by the wait staff and I didn't make note of them in particular because I adjust my expectations based on where I am, but the service as a whole was not as flawless and seamless as it would have been in a fine dining establishment.

Computer Nerd, I apologize for misreading your question.

I have 16 years culinary background. I've worked on cruise ships, and currently work at a steak house that most consider fine dining. It's not, and neither is Carnival's mdr, or their steakhouse. The service can be close to fine dining, when you have a good team, but the food is nowhere close. Most of the food is comfort food, with a little bit of flair. I think carnival does a great job overall for the food product they serve on such a limited budget.

I have 16 years culinary background. I've worked on cruise ships, and currently work at a steak house that most consider fine dining. It's not, and neither is Carnival's mdr, or their steakhouse. The service can be close to fine dining, when you have a good team, but the food is nowhere close. Most of the food is comfort food, with a little bit of flair. I think carnival does a great job overall for the food product they serve on such a limited budget.

THIS!!!! [emoji106]

Edited by First and Ten

^^THIS^^

I have been in the food business for 30 years and it still cracks me up when people think the "Special of the Day" is really a special that the chef is preparing for the evening!

Based on the above I would put CCL's MDR at 2.5 Diamonds. Of course there are other definitions and standards.
And other reviewers. Applying those criteria to all the written and video reviews I've seen, I don't see what is missing from the 3 Diamond experience. Is there some consistent failing that you think I'd see a majority of people include in their reviews of the CCL MDRs that would account for the half-Diamond difference, based on objective comparison of the criteria you listed to what's actually offered?

I really do like the AAA ratings though. They are such that each level is one order of magnitude rarer than the last. I map them into my life as follows: We eat at a 1 Diamond restaurant every week, a 2 Diamond restaurant would be a special treat several times a year, and a 3 Diamond restaurant would be a very special occasion, like a wedding anniversary dinner. Would we ever see a 4 Diamond restaurant? Not anymore. It would be too expensive.

That's the thing with standards, they are both objective and subjective.
Well, no. I was a standards assessor for a good part of the middle of my working life, and standards are objective. Period. Full stop. When you start telling a company that you're shutting them down because you subjectively don't like what you see, you're missing the point of assessing to a standard. That's why there are 3 Diamond restaurants you'd like, and 3 Diamond restaurants you wouldn't like. What they offer may meet the standard but not be pleasing to you based on your own subjective tastes. I don't eat meat, so no matter how "fine" the dining is, meat is not going to please me. That's doesn't make it less than "fine" dining.

However, what you're saying is very evidently affecting what folks post. Instead of objectively grading the MDR, clearly some folks are confounding an objective relaying of what's offered with their own personal satisfaction with the experience. People seem to have a problem with just saying, "But I didn't like it." I suppose they feel that expressing a feeling as a feeling puts inadequate priority on it.

Edited by bUU

And other reviewers. Applying those criteria to all the written and video reviews I've seen, I don't see what is missing from the 3 Diamond experience. Is there some consistent failing that you think I'd see a majority of people include in their reviews of the CCL MDRs that would account for the half-Diamond difference, based on objective comparison of the criteria you listed to what's actually offered?

I really do like the AAA ratings though. They are such that each level is one order of magnitude rarer than the last. I map them into my life as follows: We eat at a 1 Diamond restaurant every week, a 2 Diamond restaurant would be a special treat several times a year, and a 3 Diamond restaurant would be a very special occasion, like a wedding anniversary dinner. Would we ever see a 4 Diamond restaurant? Not anymore. It would be too expensive.

Well, no. I was a standards assessor for a good part of the middle of my working life, and standards are objective. Period. Full stop. When you start telling a company that you're shutting them down because you subjectively don't like what you see, you're missing the point of assessing to a standard. That's why there are 3 Diamond restaurants you'd like, and 3 Diamond restaurants you wouldn't like. What they offer may meet the standard but not be pleasing to you based on your own subjective tastes. I don't eat meat, so no matter how "fine" the dining is, meat is not going to please me. That's doesn't make it less than "fine" dining.

However, what you're saying is very evidently affecting what folks post. Instead of objectively grading the MDR, clearly some folks are confounding an objective relaying of what's offered with their own personal satisfaction with the experience. People seem to have a problem with just saying, "But I didn't like it." I suppose they feel that expressing a feeling as a feeling puts inadequate priority on it.

When I say it's also objective I mean purely from the customer's view point, not from the view point of a trained expert. After all, I rated CCL's MDR at 2.5 Diamonds based on the objective criteria and Computer Nerd rated them as 4 Diamonds using the same criteria. As pointed out if one is used to a certain standard (in my case Friendly's for the kids) and they go on CCL then it may well objectively seem like fine dining at a 4 or 5 diamond level. As for why I gave CCL's MDR a 2.5 rating it's mostly lack of consistency with the product and service and I don't believe that the MDR qualifies as an "enhanced setting".

... I don't believe that the MDR qualifies as an "enhanced setting".
Hmmm... that's hard to understand given the photographs and video reviews passengers have posted. Remember, we're not talking about "upscale ambiance" - just an enhanced setting. On Carnival Magic, I see huge, modern chandeliers, lighted stairs up to the second level, which itself is girded by slick, modern gold siding with lighted appointments. The server areas are surfaced in what appears to be marble. They don't have any of that at my local (2 Diamond) restaurant. How deceptive are these photos and videos folks are posting?

When do most cruisers look at the analytics of dining on a cruise ship.

It's a cruise that most people over-indulge in food and are going to get their money's worth.

Most certainly don't loose weight.

The majority don't "fine dine".

Hmmm... that's hard to understand given the photographs and video reviews passengers have posted. Remember, we're not talking about "upscale ambiance" - just an enhanced setting. On Carnival Magic, I see huge, modern chandeliers, lighted stairs up to the second level, which itself is girded by slick, modern gold siding with lighted appointments. The server areas are surfaced in what appears to be marble. They don't have any of that at my local (2 Diamond) restaurant. How deceptive are these photos and videos folks are posting?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, its a nice setting with GOOD food, but it's still not one thing.........it's not fine dining [emoji106]

on decor one could make the argument that the MDR is 4 or even 5 stars. The tables without table clothes, look great, and rival, some of the finest restaurants on land. Where Carnival suffers is in their service, and food quality. They use to have 2 man teams, and now it's a 3 man team spread more thin. Occasionally you will find a team this is amazing, but generally speaking the service is lacking a little(not a big deal. I'm there to relax, and I do that.) The food honestly is somewhere between an applebees, and an outback in quality. An example of this is the chicken fingers in the MDR. 5 years ago they were hand breaded on board, and now they are prebreaded frozen product. Is it a deal breaker? No, but just one more example of carnival cutting costs, to keep prices low. It's a tradeoff I'm perfectly fine with. Some people just think that the food is more amazing than it is. Most sailing on carnival have never eaten at a 4 or even a 5 star restaurant.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, its a nice setting with GOOD food, but it's still not one thing.........it's not fine dining [emoji106]

Probably then fine dining would be five diamond, maybe even four.

Regardless, there still seems to be a disconnect between evaluating achievement of standards and people liking or not liking things (food and service). Absent objectivity, it just sounds like some passengers with excessive expectations are trying to place their opinion over that of other passengers by demeaning those other passengers.

Edited by bUU

I have no problem with the food in the MDR. Those that do likely have a problem with LIFE in general and just like to complain. To those folks, I say get a grip, and get a life!

LOL....so let's get this straight. You have no issue with the MDR, so everyone else should feel that way because............wait for it..........because YOU say so.....[emoji849]

Carnival MDR is NOT fine dining. Carnival MDR was not fine dining before they removed the "fine dining" tablecloths.

If you think Carnival MDR is fine dining, you don't know what fine dining is.

The Chef's Table attempts at the fine dining experience, but fails to deliver on food quality.

Closest Carnival comes to fine dining is the Steakhouse, and it's not bad in that realm, but middling at best.

I welcome disagreement, but you are wrong :-)