Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

LOL....so let's get this straight. You have no issue with the MDR, so everyone else should feel that way because............wait for it..........because YOU say so.....[emoji849]
It does seem pretty crude but there's been some crudeness and presumption from folks who have negative feelings about the MDR directed at those who have positive feelings, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LOL....so let's get this straight. You have no issue with the MDR, so everyone else should feel that way because............wait for it..........because YOU say so.....[emoji849]

Uh, yes! ;p

Chilis and Red Lobster aren't close to fine dining. They are basically nice fast food joints. So when you say the MDR is a better dining experience (which I happen to agree with), doesn't elevate the MDR into a fine dining category. You are setting the bar to low

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My bar is just where I like it. Anything that could probably be better, in my opinion, would be pretentious, wastefully expensive (meaning not worth the money), and most likely filled with people I would prefer not to be around. Generalizations of course but generalizations based on my life's history.

It does seem pretty crude but there's been some crudeness and presumption from folks who have negative feelings about the MDR directed at those who have positive feelings, too.

If you are insinuating me, go check my posts. I have said over and over that the food in the dining room (and basically on all venues of the ship) is GOOD. That's negative? [emoji848]. I did agree with the OP that it isn't fine dining, that should not be the expectation

Oh goodness, I completely misread the question:o. These mistakes were made in the CCL MDR by the wait staff and I didn't make note of them in particular because I adjust my expectations based on where I am, but the service as a whole was not as flawless and seamless as it would have been in a fine dining establishment.

Computer Nerd, I apologize for misreading your question.

HAHA!!!! No worries. I just figured you didn't want to get into it. ;p

Hmmm... that's hard to understand given the photographs and video reviews passengers have posted. Remember, we're not talking about "upscale ambiance" - just an enhanced setting. On Carnival Magic, I see huge, modern chandeliers, lighted stairs up to the second level, which itself is girded by slick, modern gold siding with lighted appointments. The server areas are surfaced in what appears to be marble. They don't have any of that at my local (2 Diamond) restaurant. How deceptive are these photos and videos folks are posting?

Some of their newer ships may very well qualify as being an enhanced setting, won't know until I've tried them:), but there are inconsistencies in the service that would still detract from a solid 3 diamond experience (in my view, anyway). But even if one gives CCL's MDR's a 3 Diamond rating that is still not fine dining.

Just to be clear I have no negative feelings at all about the MDR on CCL. I get what I pay for and that's a passing mark to me. The food is good to great, the service is acceptable.

My bar is just where I like it. Anything that could probably be better, in my opinion, would be pretentious, wastefully expensive (meaning not worth the money), and most likely filled with people I would prefer not to be around. Generalizations of course but generalizations based on my life's history.

I agree with you, I don't like spending money for things I can't or don't appreciate. My meal doesn't taste any better to me if its on fine china and I'm using actual silver flatware with 1000 count Egyptian cotton table linens. I have eaten in establishments like that (usually on someone else's tab;)). But that doesn't mean that I when I eat at an Outback I classify it as fine dining. It's finer than where we used to eat when the kids were little and so were the paychecks, but it's not fine dining. Which I'm fine with, because I find fine dining to be pretentious and wastefully expensive:D.

If you are insinuating me, go check my posts.
Your "very uncharitable and insular perspective" was what started this part of the thread.

People have different perspectives on subjective matters and being consistent with the majority or consistent with the elitists or whatever is not a means of turning the subjective into the objective: Correct and incorrect apply only when comparisons are to objective standards.

Edited by bUU

Your "very uncharitable and insular perspective" was what started this part of the thread.

People have different perspectives on subjective matters and being consistent with the majority or consistent with the elitists or whatever is not a means of turning the subjective into the objective: Correct and incorrect apply only when comparisons are to objective standards.

Well, there are objective standards but few passengers are properly trained in applying them correctly. At the end of the day it all comes back to what we each like (because let's face it, some connoisseur could give an establishment 5 diamonds or stars or whatever and I probably wouldn't like it:D).

Carnival no longer positions the MDR as "fine dining." Fine dining would imply a tablecloth.

Darn :mad:, I thought fine dining implied that the guy at the next table wasn't wearing ripped shorts and a wife beater. :D

Carnival no longer positions the MDR as "fine dining." Fine dining would imply a tablecloth.

No it wouldn't. It's not fine dining but it has nothing to do with a tablecloth. Go to the top 10 restaurants in any major city and tell me how many have tablecloths.

I would ask you to back up your post with facts. Show me in any of my posts I have been "uncharitable"? I have said over and over again that the MDR is GOOD....Calling something "good" is uncharitable? [emoji848]

I would ask you to back up your post with facts. Show me in any of my posts I have been "uncharitable"? I have said over and over again that the MDR is GOOD....Calling something "good" is uncharitable? [emoji848]
The caustic, sarcastic, and dismissive comments you directed at RMcoolX, Computer Nerd, and myself, and perhaps others, are the objective evidence. You even threw such detritus my way about matters I hadn't even commented on, perhaps just to have something cross to say in response to a comment of mine for which you had no legitimate response. And telling people that they're setting the bar low, or saying "that's on you" in the context of a matter of disagreement is an insult - direct and specific disrespect aimed at their subjective judgement, attempting to insinuate that your perspective is thereby superior - when all that was necessary was simply saying, "I disagree; I have a different opinion; it doesn't please me." And let's be clear - I actually agreed with your subjective judgement in that case, yet saw the offense in the disrespect inherent with how you chose to place your subjective judgement (really: our subjective judgement) over that of others.

The distinction between "grade" and "compliance to standard", on the objective side, and how satisfied or happy an individual might be, on the subjective side is important. Presuming that your subjective judgement is instead objective appraisal works against any person's ability to understand and respond to what they encounter aboard ship. And isn't that what we should be focused on? How to get the most out of what the cruise line offers?

The caustic, sarcastic, and dismissive comments you directed at RMcoolX, Comp; it doesn't please me."?

But you said I was uncharitable and insular....so did you want to add caustic, sarcastic and dismissive as well? [emoji57]

No. We can't. Because once we accept lower quality, then we have given up.

Once we accept lower quality, Carnival will lower the quality yet again.

Once we accept lower quality, then the standards will never rise.

Do not accept. Complain about the food. Complain about the lack of tablecloths. Complain about cold entrees Complain about the lack of service. Be heard.

I will not be complacent with my money. :)

I see that you'll be on the Miracle in January. Get your list ready to note all of the complaints you will have on that ship:( Worst cruise I have ever experienced! The food, the service and the ship overall.

I am by no means a foodie, and I like rather plain food anyway. Overall I have been happy with the food on Carnival. I really haven't gotten cold food, and If I didn't like something I have normally found something else I did like. Some days there is more on the menu that I like than others. But I have found this to be the case across all the lines I have sailed on. Personally I hate to cook so just having someone else do it is a plus for me.

I see that you'll be on the Miracle in January. Get your list ready to note all of the complaints you will have on that ship:( Worst cruise I have ever experienced! The food, the service and the ship overall.

Really? This will be our 3rd trip on her. We love her and all of the Spirit class. I am disappointed that they have already swapped her over to the American Table......... which is really my only major complaint about Carnival and the Vista.

The rest of my comments were meant as "Don't be silent" or "Don't just accept". If you don't tell someone, it can't be corrected.

But you said I was uncharitable and insular....so did you want to add caustic, sarcastic and dismissive as well? [emoji57]

Attempting to debate with you is like talking to a liberal on FB. Someone writes a well written 500 word post and you focus on three words and refuse to debate, much less even recognize the other 497 words. Snooty and Snotty all at the same time. :rolleyes:

Time to put you back in the box......Ignore box that it. ;)

Attempting to debate with you is like talking to a liberal on FB. Someone writes a well written 500 word post and you focus on three words and refuse to debate, much less even recognize the other 497 words. Snooty and Snotty all at the same time. :rolleyes:

Time to put you back in the box......Ignore box that it. ;)

I am actually a conservative republican....so you are wrong again with your generalizations ;)

I am actually a conservative republican....so you are wrong again with your generalizations ;)

Ah, so comprehension is the problem. You'll notice, I did not call you a liberal, I said trying to debate with you is "like" talking to a liberal. No worries, I figured there was a reason for your responses, now we know what the problem is. Too bad there is probably not a corrective action for it though. :(

Ah, so comprehension is the problem. You'll notice, I did not call you a liberal, I said trying to debate with you is "like" talking to a liberal. No worries, I figured there was a reason for your responses, no we know what the problem is. Too bad there is probably not a corrective action for the problem though. :(

I thought you were ignoring me? [emoji848]

Nerd, keep throwing pot shots towards me, it doesn't change one simple fact.................the MDR is NOT fine dining [emoji3]

But you said I was uncharitable and insular....so did you want to add caustic, sarcastic and dismissive as well?

Not add... Clarify. Don't forget, you specifically asked for substantiation.

Someone writes a well written 500 word post and you focus on three words and refuse to debate, much less even recognize the other 497 words. Snooty and Snotty all at the same time. :rolleyes: Time to put you back in the box......Ignore box that it. ;)
I'm not willing to give up on him yet. I have a great hope that everyone can come to a place where they can learn to respect other perspectives.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.