Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

This is exactly the Carnival Corp. model. As you outgrow CCL, you move up their ladder of cruise lines to seek a different experience. Some people just never grow up. LOL. Good for you. :)

And some of us would rather not waste our money on frills we don't care about. Good for us and our wallets. :)

When was the MDR food the same quality as what they serve in the steakhouse? I've only been cruising for 6 years and while I have no issues with the food in the MDR, the steakhouse is a definite step up from the MDR.

80's 90's and early 00's, with the exception of the early 90's when they stopped serving lobster in the MDR. There was such an uprising that they eventually brought it back.

Last steakhouse menu I saw, both the NY Strip and Ribeye were prime beef..while they don't say prime for the Filet. Its safe to say, they never served prime beef in the MDR. So you might be 1/2 right...might have same quality filet and same size lobster tail that used to be served..but I don't go to the steakhouse for either of those.

Point is, you can't even get the choice cuts of these meats any longer. They offer the shoulder cut (flat iron?), which if you can't eat meat any less cooked than medium well, it's just like eating leather.

I used to look forward to my Spring Lamb the first night as well. Gone.

And the only thing that used to be worth the trip to the steakhouse was the Porterhouse. GONE.

Point is, you can't even get the choice cuts of these meats any longer. They offer the shoulder cut (flat iron?), which if you can't eat meat any less cooked than medium well, it's just like eating leather.

I used to look forward to my Spring Lamb the first night as well. Gone.

And the only thing that used to be worth the trip to the steakhouse was the Porterhouse. GONE.

As a couple, just get 1 filet and 1 NY Strip and share....porterhouse for 2

We recently sailed the Miracle and the secret to our MDR menu success was to try new things like the Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach and Squash entree served with parmesan sauce. These panko breaded beauties were amazingly good quality and prepared perfectly. One of the mushrooms was the size of a coffee saucer! My eyes had glazed past this item in the past but never again. I believe this entree was served on the third evening.

As to the temperature of hot foods we find good results when we politely state up front to the waiter that we want hot foods served very hot from the git go.

I enjoyed these as well. Some need to venture out and might find more options they like. The quality and number of choices are good considering the price and number of ppl served. I have to wonder if those complaining have done an all inclusive land vacation. ..bc there is way less options and quality there with way less people eating at same time. Some people will never be pleased regardless.

I don't really care about tablecloths but last year we cruised on the Ecstasy.and I have to complain that I was disappointed with the MDR dinner. Both the service and the food. Dinner took a little over two hours for what I can describe best as airplane food and the service was very slow. Water glasses hadn't been refilled until nearly the desert course and only after much complaining. The staff seemed very overwhelmed.This wasn't only my observation. The whole table (8 people not cruising as a group) had the same opinion. Later in the cruise while eating in the buffet we overheard various other people making the same observation with the term "airplane quality" being the common term.

Now I'm new to cruising so I accept that my expectation was skewed. I believed what I was told by experienced cruisers as to how lavish the food was but really the food was disappointing. Did this in any way ruin my vacation? Absolutely not.But for those posters that complain about the complainers, As consumers we need to make our voices heard when a product that we paid for leaves us disappointed. Internet forums such as CC and social media seems to be the new norm for that outlet.

What I noticed most about the food was that it always seemed like it had been sitting under heat lamps for a long time. Sauces were dried out and food just wasn't very good. I had eggs Benedict one morning and it was awful. And the breakfast pastries were stale. Dinners were a little better, and it really depends on what you order. I don't let it ruin my cruise though! I don't really go on Carnival for the food anyway. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will likely not complain to the server if my food is served cold in the main dining room on a ship, my opinion will be apparent when I leave the food on the table and move on. I will feel free however to note it on the comment card, in the survey and in any conversation I have following the experience.

That is certainly one way to handle it. I would send the dish back and ask for one at proper temperature, same as I would do in a land based restaurant. But isn't your way of doing it accepting sub-standard service? Sure, you complain later but no one can do anything about it at that point. Complain at point of sale/service if at all possible, it's the best way to get results.

On the Sunshine our waiters were very aware of our "eating behaviors" :D:D A couple of evenings I wasn't very hungry and filled up with my app and salad. The staff was worried I didn't like the entree and fell all over themselves to offer to get me something new. I was impressed but hurried to assure them it wasn't the food.

Apparently good servers play a key role. ;)

Says who, and why exactly? Sounds like propaganda put out by those whose living comes from catching the wild ones.

We have read about farm raised tilapia and after reading will not eat it again. Google it as I would not repeat what it says here. Rather gross.

Still enjoy salmon though.

We have read about farm raised tilapia and after reading will not eat it again. Google it as I would not repeat what it says here. Rather gross.

Still enjoy salmon though.

If they will eat it in captivity they will eat it in the wild if necessary. Personally from what I read (albeit briefly) seems like an overreaction and easily enough avoided by eating fish grown in places other than China if it is a concern at all.

That is certainly one way to handle it. I would send the dish back and ask for one at proper temperature, same as I would do in a land based restaurant. But isn't your way of doing it accepting sub-standard service? Sure, you complain later but no one can do anything about it at that point. Complain at point of sale/service if at all possible, it's the best way to get results.

Well, the point of sale was months ago, frankly if the server can't get hot food out hot the first time, I don't trust them to do it the second time. I'm not really inclined to invest a lot of time to see if they can get it right so rather than wait longer I'll just skip it.

Well, the point of sale was months ago, frankly if the server can't get hot food out hot the first time, I don't trust them to do it the second time. I'm not really inclined to invest a lot of time to see if they can get it right so rather than wait longer I'll just skip it.

And you are the one saying we shouldn't set the bar low because corporate won't do anything to improve. Again, personally, if the server continues to get it wrong I would elevate the issue to the maitre'd and then if necessary to the hotel director.

And you are the one saying we shouldn't set the bar low because corporate won't do anything to improve. Again, personally, if the server continues to get it wrong I would elevate the issue to the maitre'd and then if necessary to the hotel director.

You're right, we shouldn't set the bar low, but I shouldn't have to spend an extra half hour in the dining room because the server is too stupid to know a steak should be served hot. I didn't say I'd accept it, I said I'd abandon it. I would then let them know at guest services. This wasn't a scenario I put forward BTW, some others here have suggested that food comes out cold which frankly would be a surprise to me.

This is exactly the Carnival Corp. model. As you outgrow CCL, you move up their ladder of cruise lines to seek a different experience. Some people just never grow up. LOL. Good for you. :)

Sounds almost true...... but it's not

Sent from my iPhone

I do think that some of the complaining about food on Carnival is a bit ridiculous. The OP's point is well taken. The MDR is producing hundreds of meals in a short period of time. Having managed banquets( in a past life) I know how how challenging it can be. Though I do feel that overall food quality on Carnival has gone down a little over the past 15 years we've been cruising with them it still is pretty good. Given the number of meals the MDR puts out in the time they do I think the taste and presentation is very good.

Sure, I've had better meals in the MDRs of other lines but I paid a lot more for those cruises.

Of course that's my subjective opinion.....

Love reading these boards but so tired of people complaining about the "quality" of the MDR food on Carnival. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FINE DINING FOOD, people ...

I agree! The only thing that bothers me more than people complaining about the MDR food is people complaining about what other people complain about... that's THE WORST!!! :mad:

Seriously, though, maybe now that they removed the tablecloths people will expect less. I completely agree about the steakhouse, we eat there once each cruise and it's our "break from MDR food" (not that I'm complaining about MDR food or anything like that, don't want to be lumped together with those people). :D