Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

Love reading these boards but so tired of people complaining about the "quality" of the MDR food on Carnival. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FINE DINING FOOD, people .... Perhaps some people just need to adjust their expectations? I consider the MDR food to be "Banquet Quality" ... which is as good as anyone should expect ... its not possible to push out thousands of "fine dining" meals in such a short amount of time. With my "Banquet Quality" expectations ... I am rarely disappointed with anything I get in the MDR, and If I am, I just order something else. Better yet I typically order multiple entrees and starters anyway and usually like at least one thing they bring. :)

If you truly want an elevated food experience ... then simply factor an extra $245 into your cruise fare and book the Steakhouse every night for your 7 night carnival cruise -

.....And before you start saying that "This line or that line has better food than CCL" ... consider that "those lines" also charge significantly MORE to book your cruise than carnivals fare + $35/day for the steakhouse.

Thank you for letting me rant. :)

I totally agree. if you can't find something to eat on these cruises, find something else to do! You got Mdr, David steaks, deli, pizza, buffet, Cantina, sushi, I mean, get a life@

• 3 weeks later...
No, I do not think cruisers should quit complaining, however, the complaints should be directly with Carnival.
However, if people are just complaining and not following through with real changes in how they spend their money, they might as well stop complaining, since their voting with their dollars is invariably going to drown out their voting with their words.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have been cruising with Carnival for 20 years. I can definitely tell a decline in the quality and portions over the years. That being said, you will not find a better value for your money on any other cruiseline. I consider myself lucky that I had the opportunity to cruise during the good old days but still very much enjoy cruising with them! Anytime I can go somewhere warm and sunny, not cook for a week, and have my bed made for me, I'm a HAPPY CAMPER! No complaining from me!

The old saying "You get what you pay for" applies. Carnival remains one of the most budget friendly cruise lines. If you want fancy white table cloths and Michelin quality chefs, check out Viking or Seabourn but be ready to shell out some serious dough! No cruise is perfect, figure out your nonnegotiables for the standards you expect and pick one that will deliver. If you keep picking the same brand and are expecting a different result, than you have no one to blame for that but you or your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well sure, except that your snotty reply is invalid. Until this past cruise on the Carnival Vista, we've always received exemplary service, tablecloths, and wonderful food in the Main Dining Room. I paid more for that 6 day than I've paid for 8 day cruises on other ships. I expect a certain level of service no matter what line I sail and I do not like American Table. I have told Carnival I do not like it, and if others do not like it as well, I will tell them to tell Carnival. How else will we be heard? As you said, it's my money.

I think the food is good. We have cruised with RC once but came back to Carnival. The RC food wasn't any better IMO. We haven't tried the steakhouse because we like the MDR. We eat there every night. For lunch we go to the buffet.

Well sure, except that your snotty reply is invalid. Until this past cruise on the Carnival Vista, we've always received exemplary service, tablecloths, and wonderful food in the Main Dining Room. I paid more for that 6 day than I've paid for 8 day cruises on other ships. I expect a certain level of service no matter what line I sail and I do not like American Table. I have told Carnival I do not like it, and if others do not like it as well, I will tell them to tell Carnival. How else will we be heard? As you said, it's my money.

As previously noted you can certainly complain but if you keep cruising with Carnival that is going to speak much louder than your words and it's the only language that really matters to Corporate.

As previously noted you can certainly complain but if you keep cruising with Carnival that is going to speak much louder than your words and it's the only language that really matters to Corporate.

Such logic is lost on the chronic complainer who uses the sword of their consumer dollar like a noose.

"I hate American Table and won't cruise again until you change it!".

Instead of taking their business to those lines that will provide them the experience (supposedly at cheaper prices) they seek, they turn around and book with Carnival and American Table remains unaffected.

The expression "Put up or shut up" comes to mind.

I enjoy the experience. I don't remember thinking about the missing table cloth on our last cruise. Food at most restaurants is lower quality then it was ten years ago. I go out for the experience. Food only lasts for a moment on the tongue but time with family is forever.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

I enjoy the experience. I don't remember thinking about the missing table cloth on our last cruise. Food at most restaurants is lower quality then it was ten years ago. I go out for the experience. Food only lasts for a moment on the tongue but time with family is forever.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

Nice post....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 2cents worth : Would it be possible to serve my meal at the appropriate tempture? On the Elation in February. Prior to that the Imagination and the Inspiration. My issue was the same .. tepid, luke "warm" dishes. On the Elation my Chocolate Melting Cake on just one night , was not hot and melting inside. I figure I can always save the meal by that one treat :confused::(

How else will we be heard?
The way we consumers are always heard, by communicating a consistent message, not saying one thing with our mouths but doing something else with our money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good grief, isn't this cruisecritic? If I saw a website called moviecritic, or anything _____critic, you have to go into it expecting diverse opinions. I don't see anything wrong with Carnival's MDR food for the money, personally, but let's at least listen to the other side of the coin.

I haven't sailed on Carnival since they introduced the America table concept and lost the tablecloths so I can't comment about those things. I do appreciate others commenting on their experience on CC so I can be a bit informed if I decide to try Carnival again. So keep on complaining people, and others please debate with them. It's all good.

And sometimes highly entertaining! :D

You don't like it, you told Carnival you don't like it. Carnival is not changing for now.Try another cruise line that may suit you better.

You remind me of the couple that was seated next to us on our first cruise, Magic, back in 2014. They went on and on, through dinner, complaining that Carnival food just wasn't that good, other cruise lines are better. On and on and on. Then they ordered 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts EACH. After telling me how bad the quality was, I watched this lady eat chicken nuggets and french fries from the kids menu. Then she had ordered 2 creme brulee desserts, ate the topping off each one, left the rest. Her husband ordered two plates of roast beef, ate it then complained it was tough and that they would never pay money for that crap. He only ate one bite of each dessert he ordered. Such a waste of food. They also told us that formal night they both ordered 2-3 lobster tails each so they got their "money" worth.

And this is why we prefer a table for two. Don't want to put up with people like that when I'm not on a cruise and I really don't want to deal with it when we're cruising.

I think it's the expectations people set for themselves. The OP said it and I totally agree....the MDR IS NOT FINE DINING. If that's your expectation, it's your fault. The best comparison I can make, it's comparable to a banquet hall when you are attending a wedding reception. That's the quality of food you are getting on a cruise ship. Now, before you start flaming and assume I don't like the food, let me stress by saying I like the food on cruises. It's GOOD food. Is it comparable to my favorite restaurants food, no, but that doesn't make it bad. The Steakhouse. Great value for the $. Nice ambiance, really good service. Are the steaks comparable to an upscale Steakhouse, no, but they are GOOD. Some ships have Cucino....its good on the level of Olive Garden good. Is it on the level of a really good Italian restaurant, of course not. That doesn't make it bad

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it's the expectations people set for themselves. The OP said it and I totally agree....the MDR IS NOT FINE DINING. If that's your expectation, it's your fault.
The formal night stuff doesn't help shape a reasonable set of expectations.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The formal night stuff doesn't help shape a reasonable set of expectations.

How so? Are you talking the dress requirements or the show the wait staff puts on? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if you are referring to a Elegant night, I don't see how people wearing a pair of pants should correlate to "fine dining" or an entry on Zagats? [emoji848]

How so? Are you talking the dress requirements or the show the wait staff puts on? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if you are referring to a Elegant night, I don't see how people wearing a pair of pants should correlate to "fine dining" or an entry on Zagats?
Down the block from here is a nice, fine dining restaurant. There is no started dress code on their website. They don't have one or two days a week when there is some expectation that patrons wear different clothing than on other days off the week. Add in those things, the dress code, the special days off the week, and you have the makings of assumptions and expectations, warranted or not, fully justified or not. Reasonable people can be expected to misconstrue those rules as meaning more than they mean in reality.

Down the block from here is a nice, fine dining restaurant. There is no started dress code on their website. They don't have one or two days a week when there is some expectation that patrons wear different clothing than on other days off the week. Add in those things, the dress code, the special days off the week, and you have the makings of assumptions and expectations, warranted or not, fully justified or not. Reasonable people can be expected to misconstrue those rules as meaning more than they mean in reality.

I disagree....I think "reasonable" people follow the rules and dress appropriately as opposed to being a contrarian and basically looking for a loophole for the sheer reason of looking for one. "Reasonable" people don't take it to the extreme mindset of "this is MY vacation and I will wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it". If your assumption or expectation is that the quality of the food is in direct correlation to what you wear or required to wear, well that's on you [emoji57]

I disagree....I think "reasonable" people follow the rules and dress appropriately as opposed to being a contrarian and basically looking for a loophole for the sheer reason of looking for one. "Reasonable" people don't take it to the extreme mindset of "this is MY vacation and I will wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it".
Nothing I wrote has anything even remotely to do with that. If you want to post such self-promoting elitist perspectives please do it in response to comments for which it is at least somewhat relevant.

If your assumption or expectation is that the quality of the food is in direct correlation to what you wear or required to wear, well that's on you
I think that's a very uncharitable and insular perspective.