Why I Hated The Escape and you should too!

TNCruzer56

Thanks for the Flames...Knew I`d get em! Ya`ll are as predictable as ever. Just putting my thoughts out there for peeps making decisions about picking a ship and selecting the excursion pkg.

BTW: This boat rolls.

No one flamed you. All the responses I see are very polite. It's just your statement telling people they need to hate the Escape that is off putting.

I agree 100% on the roll of the ship. Everyone I talked to on our cruise noticed how much more the ship rolled compared to anything else. We had really calm seas and still experienced a lot of roll

1st and Biggest Gripe!

25 plus cruzes and I`ve never disliked a new ship so much. The Roll (yaw) (sideto side) of this modern of a ship was ridiculous!!! We had the usual March winds and we have pretty good sets of sea legs, but I`ve never experienced the constant reposition of stance at buffet, dinner, waiting in line, etc. It wasn`t until Nassau and coming upon her from astern docked next to The Harmony of the Seas that I saw what was an incredible narrow beam on such a tall ship.(Yea, I know -No comparison-but height-wise they were about the same). At least10-12 of our group had week long sea-sickness

-

2nd Gripe-hallways that JUST Stopped. Go up, down, up again, up.Unbelievably poor ship-flow design!!!!!

-

3rd Gripe

Itinerary-WTH goes to Jost (cancelled BTW) St Norman at 7AM? And we Had to return at 11:45AM at Tortola-Skippers Orders!!! We thought that we could get the later return (NOPE!!) The restaurants and shops had just opened!!!

7-2 port stop?????????????

4th Gripe

We did the Beverage/Excursion promo and yes enjoyed the 1st, but to my knowledge, every single NCL water/boat excursion was cancelled or changed.We`ve always booked private before and will go back to that now, as the winds were running 15-20, gusts to 25...Trips were makeable-IMHO.

5th Gripe-Nassau-nuf Said!

6th Gripe-All the NCL Excursions were noticeably shorter than previous,privately planned trips. DO NOT GET THIS PROMO.

Finally, All cruzes are good and we pretty much enjoyed ourselves on this one (this review is more of a heads up to newbies than anything else.......B4 I get Flamed!

-

Pitch and Roll were fine with the wife and I, (veteran boaters andcruzers) but be careful if you have a tender tummy.

When you put in Red letter" B4 I get Flamed" you opened the door.

Agree with others the itineraries and port times are known before hand. No surprise there.

The majority of people feel the same about Nassau, again not a surprise. Maybe to newbies it would be good.

We sailed the Escape in Oct. skirting a hurricane and didn't notice any extra rolling or movement.

Although nor as experienced , only 10 cruises, the Escape is the first ship that I would definitely sail again.

Next cruise is on the Vista which doesn't get good reviews , but it goes to Southern Caribbean, and I will not let the negative reviews bother me.

2 cruises on Escape, and I can't wait to go again. It's my favorite ship ever. Tell me again why I should hate it, and I'll explain to you why you should love it. Wait, no I won't, because I don't try to tell people what they should think and feel.

Good to know that you think you know more than the experts about when it's safe to go on an excursion. Delusional much?

a couple of your gripes were about the itinerary. had you researched, you would have seen that the ship went to Nassau and had a short 7-2 stop in the other port (im assuming Tortola). with 25+ cruises under your belt, im assuming you would know that Nassau is a dump and avoid a cruise itinerary that had that stop if you know you dont like it, or just enjoy teh day on board.

We were on the Escape not too long ago and 1 day there was 12-16' waves and it did have the boat moving a little but there is not much that can be done about that but the other 6 days it was as smooth as could be. We knew the schedule when we booked the cruise so we arranged our excursions according to that and we did not have any issues. We had the alcohol package and no matter how busy it was we never waited for more than 3 minutes for a drink. We also had the dining package and we scheduled reservations because we thought it would be full and each night we decided to eat at a different time and we never waited more than 5 minutes to get in to eat. This kinda makes it hard for us to "hate the Escape"

Certainly no reason for anyone to FLAME :mad: you for giving your opinion.

OP will and should get flamed... the post wasn't 'I hate the escape', it was 'why I hate the escape and you should too'... sorry that I don't appreciate someone whose never met me telling me how I should feel about something. And btw, OP, if you want someone to agree with you try writing in more complete sentences. I had a really hard time understanding most of your complaints... specifically gripes 3-5 made no sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only thing I tend to agree about, is the flow.

The Escape needs a third row of elevators for that size of ship, and when walking a deck it's sometimes true you have to do a return.

That drives me nuts about a ship more than anything else.

All the large NCL ships suffer from that. Neither Epic or any of the other Breakaway class ships have mid ship elevators.

I just sailed the Escape. Thought it was a great ship. Food, drink and entertainment were top notch. We had a fantastic time.

I happen to agree with the OP about port times.

I happen to think NCL leaves St. Thomas way too early, especially when Tortola is literally a hop skip and a jump away. St. Thomas makes no sense.

Tortola was another stop that I believed left WAY too early.

We knew the port times ahead of time, and were fine with it. However, I was just left shaking my head as to WHY? Why leave so early?

Hey Ric! Sorry to hear this cruise wasn't great. I'd like to hear how the Sun cruise went as that is one itinerary I'd like to try.
Bosch-We missed Aruba-70 knot wind-shame, one of my fav ports-drop me a line if ya still have my email addy-Hope you guys are well!

OK... Back to irritating peeps with way too much time on their hands.

I just sailed the Escape. Thought it was a great ship. Food, drink and entertainment were top notch. We had a fantastic time.

I happen to agree with the OP about port times.

I happen to think NCL leaves St. Thomas way too early, especially when Tortola is literally a hop skip and a jump away. St. Thomas makes no sense.

Tortola was another stop that I believed left WAY too early.

We knew the port times ahead of time, and were fine with it. However, I was just left shaking my head as to WHY? Why leave so early?

I agree. Was on Escape in Feb and enjoyed the cruise but the itinerary is lacking. We had someone who fell ill and they rushed to St. Thomas starting on the second sea day and it just proved that the extra sea day is really not necessary. The cruise could easily have added an extra port day and a longer stay in Tortola.

Well I'm not going to flame but I will tell you that you did not convince me that I should hate the Escape. Why?

Gripe 1 - One of the risks of cruising is that you may get on a ship that will rock and roll you. I was just talking to a co-worker who was on the CCL Triumph last week. He said it was the most rocky cruise he has been on due to the wind. He said most of the passengers and crew were sea sick and they had to cancel the show all but the last night. Our rockiest cruise was on the NCL Jewel on our 25th anniversary. I personally loved the roller coaster ride.

Gripe 2 - Umm...both of the previous NCL ships I have sailed on had zig zag narrow hallways. By looking at the floor plan of the Escape I already counted on that being the same. Since it wasn't an issue for us before I don't see it being an issue for us on the Escape

Gripe 3 - You didn't know how long you were going to be in Tortola or how long your excursion was when you booked? We know we will be in Tortola from 7-3. Our plan is to book a private island tour at the port so we are on our own schedule not someone else's schedule for the time we are there.

Gripe 4 - We have the UBP and SDP with 4 meals. We plan on enjoying both of our promos. You chose the excursion promo...I would never pick up the excursion promo since we very rarely like to book excursions through the ship.

Gripe 5 - You didn't know Nassau was on your itinerary? If you didn't like it why did you choose that itinerary? It was your choice. I'm not a fan of Nassau myself, but we like having an island we don't like so we can stay onboard and enjoy a less crowded ship. We did this the last time we stopped at Nassau on the Carnival Splendor and the last time we stopped in Grand Cayman on the Ruby Princess and the last time we stopped at Belize on the Carnival Dream.

Gripe 6 - Again you chose that promo. I would never do so.

I'm not flaming you, but I would like to let all newbies know to do their research as it appears you did not. Choose an itinerary and promos you would enjoy and know that you run the risk of any ship you sail on to be a bit rocky. If you are prone to sea sickness come prepared.

DH and I will be sailing on the Escape in September. I can't see anything at this point, from doing all my research, that would make me hate the Escape. That is why I chose her to sail on. DH is a little iffy about the size as he was not a biggest fan of Epic because of her size, but I don't think the size would be enough to make him "hate" the Escape.

1st and Biggest Gripe!

25 plus cruzes and I`ve never disliked a new ship so much. The Roll (yaw) (sideto side) of this modern of a ship was ridiculous!!! We had the usual March winds and we have pretty good sets of sea legs, but I`ve never experienced the constant reposition of stance at buffet, dinner, waiting in line, etc. It wasn`t until Nassau and coming upon her from astern docked next to The Harmony of the Seas that I saw what was an incredible narrow beam on such a tall ship.(Yea, I know -No comparison-but height-wise they were about the same). At least10-12 of our group had week long sea-sickness

-

2nd Gripe-hallways that JUST Stopped. Go up, down, up again, up.Unbelievably poor ship-flow design!!!!!

-

3rd Gripe

Itinerary-WTH goes to Jost (cancelled BTW) St Norman at 7AM? And we Had to return at 11:45AM at Tortola-Skippers Orders!!! We thought that we could get the later return (NOPE!!) The restaurants and shops had just opened!!!

7-2 port stop?????????????

4th Gripe

We did the Beverage/Excursion promo and yes enjoyed the 1st, but to my knowledge, every single NCL water/boat excursion was cancelled or changed.We`ve always booked private before and will go back to that now, as the winds were running 15-20, gusts to 25...Trips were makeable-IMHO.

5th Gripe-Nassau-nuf Said!

6th Gripe-All the NCL Excursions were noticeably shorter than previous,privately planned trips. DO NOT GET THIS PROMO.

Finally, All cruzes are good and we pretty much enjoyed ourselves on this one (this review is more of a heads up to newbies than anything else.......B4 I get Flamed!

-

Pitch and Roll were fine with the wife and I, (veteran boaters andcruzers) but be careful if you have a tender tummy.

sorry you let things that mostly appear to be minor or perhaps out of the control of the ship bother you so much, but we all have priorities I guess. I will add, I do not review every review or every posting, but from what I have heard the Escape is a great ship if you are into large ships. As for itinerary I am not crazy over NCLs itineries period anymore, but part of that is the number of cruises we have been on. We have been there, seen that. I wish they would add new ports and when cruising from places like NYC would have a stop in Charleston or someplace like that.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Well, since you don't seem to know the difference between roll and yaw (your first sentence uses them interchangeably, while your last sentence says roll was fine, I would tend to discount your ideas about ship design as well. Height to beam ratio may have an effect on rolling, but metacentric height is the only real measure of a ship's stability (tendency to roll, and speed of rolling), and without knowing the position of the center of gravity of any two ships, looking at their beam from astern means zero. Now, if your complaint is about yawing (a side to side linear motion, not a revolving of the decks around a center point), this has absolutely nothing to do with beam. This "azipod shimmy" is common to all ships equipped with podded propulsion, and is caused by using the propeller to steer with. The propeller creates a flow of water under the flat hull above the pods, and this will be in the direction the pod is facing. Sea conditions will cause the autopilot to swing the pods back and forth from straight ahead in order to maintain course, and the resulting swing of water flow across the hull above the pods causes the shimmy. This condition is exacerbated by certain weather conditions, in particular following seas. Probably the ultimate example of this shimmy, and the ability of the ship to maintain heading in following seas is the Queen Mary 2, which had to go back into drydock after trials to get a longitudinal "skeg" built between the azipods to improve directional stability.

chengkp75, I think I'm in love!