Best Destination Experts

wishfulone

We've had some great destination experts on our Princess cruises but neither of us can ever remember their names so we're hoping someone out there can help and share your own memories of best lecturers along the way.

In Alaska on the Coral a few years ago there was a wonderful blond headed adventurer whose love of Alaska and his job was really obvious. Everyone on the boat was disappointed when the Rangers came on for the day in the National Park. They weren't nearly as informative and fun as 'whatshisname'.

Transiting the Panama Canal we were fortunate to have a terrific lecturer too. I think his name was Bill? The day of the transit he started broadcasting about 6-6.30 am and because we were delayed he didn't sign off until almost 8 pm. He talked almost non stop all day and his information was never boring and he never sounded bored. I honestly don't know how he kept it up. We ran into him at dinner and he was still excited even though he'd done the trip heaps of times before.

Another time James someone the Customer Services Manager on the Diamond stepped in at the last moment to give some wonderful first hand experience type lectures on Asian ports. He pulled together his own photos and stories to give some really helpful information.

Anyone know our destination experts?

Transiting the Panama Canal we were fortunate to have a terrific lecturer too. I think his name was Bill? The day of the transit he started broadcasting about 6-6.30 am and because we were delayed he didn't sign off until almost 8 pm. He talked almost non stop all day and his information was never boring and he never sounded bored. I honestly don't know how he kept it up. We ran into him at dinner and he was still excited even though he'd done the trip heaps of times before.

There are apparently 2 Bills who do the Panama lectures.

I did a search (just for you), cuz I couldn't remember our Bill's last name...and I found 2!:D

One is Bill Keene.

Our Bill is Bill Fall. He was great!!:*

This Bill lives in New York when he's not on a ship and tells stories about growing up in the Panama Canal Zone.

So you can take your pick.

We just cruised the Panama Canal in January on the Pacific Princess with Bill Fall. It was his 50th Panama Canal transit on a cruise ship! He is excellent and, although we had done the Panama Canal several times already, we learned a tremendous amount from him.

We really enjoyed Jules Talerico on our Princess Alaska cruises. Very knowledgeable and a nice guy too.

It's hard to top Douglas Pearson for his depth of knowledge and sheer enthusiasm about all things Polynesia. We enjoyed his lectures for two years on the Pacific Princess and he is currently on the Emerald Princess in Australia and New Zealand and may be on the Golden Princess there next year.

There are apparently 2 Bills who do the Panama lectures.

I did a search (just for you), cuz I couldn't remember our Bill's last name...and I found 2!:D

One is Bill Keene.

Our Bill is Bill Fall. He was great!!:*

This Bill lives in New York when he's not on a ship and tells stories about growing up in the Panama Canal Zone.

So you can take your pick.

Bill Keene and he was travelling with his wife. Bill must be a great name for Panama commentators because it sounds as though you can't go wrong with either of them. Excellent choices Princess :D

Bill Keene and he was travelling with his wife. Bill must be a great name for Panama commentators because it sounds as though you can't go wrong with either of them. Excellent choices Princess :D
Here's a picture of Bill Keene. You're right, he was an excellent Destination Expert. His commentary on Canal Day was terrific, and his slide show lectures were outstanding.

7441534322_30b2ffbbaa_c.jpg

The now retired John Lawrence was fantastic on Baltic cruises. This past December we enjoyed Julio Delgado on our LA to Valparaiso to Rio B2B cruises.

We had Julio for our grand Mediterranean in 2014 and enjoyed his presentations.

So we haven't ever cruised Princess. We plan to sail Princess for the next cruise we book. Can you tell me more about destination experts and what they do. Do any other lines have these experts? I don't recall hearing anyone discuss the ports of call but it sounds amazing. Are they done the night before you dock in that port? Is it after dinner? Any details you have would be great for future trip planning. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we haven't ever cruised Princess. We plan to sail Princess for the next cruise we book. Can you tell me more about destination experts and what they do. Do any other lines have these experts? I don't recall hearing anyone discuss the ports of call but it sounds amazing. Are they done the night before you dock in that port? Is it after dinner? Any details you have would be great for future trip planning. Thanks

The destination experts aren't on all Princess cruises. They're usually not on "sun and fun" destinations, such as the Caribbean. You'll mostly find them on cruises where the destination is the main draw, such as the Panama Canal, Alaska, Hawaii, Europe. They will have a few port lectures in the Princess Theater, going into detail about what to do and see in port. They might also do a few talks about the history, culture or nature of the area. And on certain scenic cruises such as the Panama Canal and Alaska, they might broadcast over the ship's sound system from time to time. The lectures in the Princess Theater are usually on sea days, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. The exact time and place will be in your daily Princess Patter.

The destination experts aren't on all Princess cruises. They're usually not on "sun and fun" destinations, such as the Caribbean. You'll mostly find them on cruises where the destination is the main draw, such as the Panama Canal, Alaska, Hawaii, Europe. They will have a few port lectures in the Princess Theater, going into detail about what to do and see in port. They might also do a few talks about the history, culture or nature of the area. And on certain scenic cruises such as the Panama Canal and Alaska, they might broadcast over the ship's sound system from time to time. The lectures in the Princess Theater are usually on sea days, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. The exact time and place will be in your daily Princess Patter.

On very port intensive cruise in those areas of the world some of the lectures might be pre-recorded and available on the cabin TV.

Although the lectures might mention Princess excursions, they are really aimed at letting you know what sights you might want to visit and how you can do them on your own.

The destination experts will also have scheduled hours (often at the shore excursion desk) so you can ask them questions.

Best way I can explain it is this. On a long cruise such as Around Sth America there are three onboard lecturers. One is what I'd call the Port Lecturer and his job is to discuss the different shore excursions, how to get about on your own and the all important shopping ideas. These lecturers are recorded and replayed in the cabins over a dedicated TV channel.

The second is an Enrichment Lecturer who is onboard to keep us all entertained :D The lecturer on our Sth American Cruise could best be described as a cross between and historian and a forensic detective. It was standing room only when he spoke.

The third is the Destination Lecturer who on this cruise was a glacier expert from a Canadian University. She talked a lot about whales and Antarctica. They give talks on sea days but in places like Alaska and transiting the Panama Canal the Destination Lecturers braodcast over the ship's loudspeakers during the scenic cruising days. Bill Keene Panama and Mark Harris Alaska were two outstanding Destination Lecturers that it's been our privilege to sail with.

When we were on the Regal for a Baltic cruise in 2015, we had a person giving port talks. He was monotone and sounded totally disinterested in what he was doing. We found this very unusual for Princess as most of the port talks have been very good.

Best way I can explain it is this. On a long cruise such as Around Sth America there are three onboard lecturers. One is what I'd call the Port Lecturer and his job is to discuss the different shore excursions, how to get about on your own and the all important shopping ideas. These lecturers are recorded and replayed in the cabins over a dedicated TV channel.

The second is an Enrichment Lecturer who is onboard to keep us all entertained :D The lecturer on our Sth American Cruise could best be described as a cross between and historian and a forensic detective. It was standing room only when he spoke.

The third is the Destination Lecturer who on this cruise was a glacier expert from a Canadian University. She talked a lot about whales and Antarctica. They give talks on sea days but in places like Alaska and transiting the Panama Canal the Destination Lecturers braodcast over the ship's loudspeakers during the scenic cruising days. Bill Keene Panama and Mark Harris Alaska were two outstanding Destination Lecturers that it's been our privilege to sail with.

In our recent experience there were no port (shopping) lecturers (this was on B2B LA to Rio South America cruises); as others have said on Caribbean cruises you only get shopping lecturers. The Destination Lecturer, accompanied by pictures and maps, gives the current exchange rate, discusses the history of the port, gives transportation advice, and suggests not to miss attractions/excursions and how to see them on your own. The Enrichment Lecturer, a retired archaeologist with a speciality in pre-Incan Peruvian culture, gave talks on history, archaeology, culture, transportation, etc. On our B2B there was frequently a sea day between ports. In those cases, the destination lecturer would speak for an hour (9:30 to 10:30 am) about the upcoming port and then the enrichment lecturer would give his talk from 11 to noon. It was a great way to spend a sea day morning and the Princess theater was often filled.

When we were on the Regal for a Baltic cruise in 2015, we had a person giving port talks. He was monotone and sounded totally disinterested in what he was doing. We found this very unusual for Princess as most of the port talks have been very good.

That's a shame - it sounds like it would have been better to play John Lawrence's old CD on Baltic ports and hand out a sheet with any updates to it than have to sit through anyone who speaks in public in a monotone! Years ago we had a couple (can't remember the cruise but it might have been wine country) that just read - taking turns - from their very poorly done powerpoint presentation in monotones. We left in the middle of the lecture (which we never do but had to out of self preservation) and didn't attend any others.