40th Anniversary Cruise

Looking for suggestions for our 40th Anniversary cruise! Yes, we know we will cruise as that's always the way we travel now. Saying that, we mostly go for cruises that leave anywhere southeast so we can drive to the port. We live in the FL panhandle. We just celebrated our 38th, so my questions are many. Do we book two years out and get a cabin that usually gets snatched up quickly, do we wait to see what some of the destinations of the new ships coming out are like, what fun southern Caribbean cruises have you been on and lastly, any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you haven't done a trans-Atlantic, why not consider it? You could combine it with a European itinerary followed by the T-A and end up close to home when you disembark. We did our first 2 years ago when I retired, and now we have our third planned for this fall to celebrate our 40th anniversary (which occurs this April).

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Looking for suggestions for our 40th Anniversary cruise! Yes, we know we will cruise as that's always the way we travel now. Saying that, we mostly go for cruises that leave anywhere southeast so we can drive to the port. We live in the FL panhandle. We just celebrated our 38th, so my questions are many. Do we book two years out and get a cabin that usually gets snatched up quickly, do we wait to see what some of the destinations of the new ships coming out are like, what fun southern Caribbean cruises have you been on and lastly, any other suggestions?

If there are no cancellation penalties (often the case until some specified time prior to sailing), why not reserve "that special cabin or suite", and as time gets closer, see if you find an itinerary that you prefer that has recently been listed.

For a special anniversary, have you considered something different, that doesn't leave from Florida? (Yes, that has the definite downside of needing to deal with the increasingly dreaded airports, but you might want to consider it.)

If there are no cancellation penalties (often the case until some specified time prior to sailing), why not reserve "that special cabin or suite", and as time gets closer, see if you find an itinerary that you prefer that has recently been listed.

For a special anniversary, have you considered something different, that doesn't leave from Florida? (Yes, that has the definite downside of needing to deal with the increasingly dreaded airports, but you might want to consider it.)

Plus 1 (on try something different).

How about Polynesia (perhaps Valparaiso to Tahiti)

or even a /few transpacific (Sydney to a California port).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This probably won't help you, but this is how we decided.

Our 40th anniversary was last October. Mid-summer we started asking each other how we wanted to celebrate.

"You want to go on a trip?"

"That sounds like fun."

"We've talked about going on a wine country road trip. Does that sound good?"

"That sounds, OK."

I've been married long enough to know that "OK" is not a ringing endorsement. So, I keep trying.

"Would you like to go on a cruise?

"YES."

OK, that's more like it. Now all we have to do is pick a cruise. Because of family responsibilities at that time, we were somewhat limited in our travel radius. In case of emergency we had to be able to get back home (Southern California) within a day.

We identified two candidates in which we would be cruising on our anniversary--a repositioning cruise from Vancouver, B.C. to Los Angeles and a round-trip seven-day "California Coastal" cruise out of Los Angeles.

Here is how we decided. My wife mentioned that the 40th Wedding Anniversary Gemstone is the Ruby. (I'm a dude. Who knew?) The ship for the Los Angeles round-trip was the (Ta-dah) RUBY PRINCESS.

Decision made.

We had a great cruise and a great anniversary. Princess has a very neat dining option called the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. So, we scheduled that for our anniversary dinner.

I'm sure you will have a great 40th whatever you do.

We're going to celebrate our 50th. We also live in Florida on the ocean so Caribbean cruises don't do much for us. We decide to do Alaska, in August. Somewhere we've never been and gets us away from the hot August Florida weather.

We celebrated our 10th on a cruise so we knew we had to do one for this year. We emptied our bucket list (and sold the bucket) so we could get an aft suite with butler and all the benefits.

What ever you decide, have a great time. It's not easy anymore to get this many married years in.

Don

This probably won't help you, but this is how we decided.

Our 40th anniversary was last October. Mid-summer we started asking each other how we wanted to celebrate.

"You want to go on a trip?"

"That sounds like fun."

"We've talked about going on a wine country road trip. Does that sound good?"

"That sounds, OK."

I've been married long enough to know that "OK" is not a ringing endorsement. So, I keep trying.

"Would you like to go on a cruise?

"YES."

OK, that's more like it. Now all we have to do is pick a cruise. Because of family responsibilities at that time, we were somewhat limited in our travel radius. In case of emergency we had to be able to get back home (Southern California) within a day.

We identified two candidates in which we would be cruising on our anniversary--a repositioning cruise from Vancouver, B.C. to Los Angeles and a round-trip seven-day "California Coastal" cruise out of Los Angeles.

Here is how we decided. My wife mentioned that the 40th Wedding Anniversary Gemstone is the Ruby. (I'm a dude. Who knew?) The ship for the Los Angeles round-trip was the (Ta-dah) RUBY PRINCESS.

Decision made.

We had a great cruise and a great anniversary. Princess has a very neat dining option called the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. So, we scheduled that for our anniversary dinner.

I'm sure you will have a great 40th whatever you do.

Nice story/ Let me tell ours.

In late 2011, I said to my DW, next summer we have our 25th anniversary, why don't we try a cruise. She thought that was a good idea. I suggested Bermuda since we could easily drive or even take a bus to NY and not have to fly, and who at that point wanted to fly. She said no, she had been to Bermuda (it turned out her experience there was 1 day during a Nor'easter). She suggested Alaska, but that did not thrill me. Actually we have since cruised to both Bermuda and Alaska.

I sent away for some cruise pamphlets, and found a Barcelona to Barcelona cruise, and knew that DW who is an elementary school art teacher, would love that. And that's how we picked out our first cruise for our 25th anniversary. We did a Baltic cruise (still out best) for our 30th, and another Barcelona to Barcelona for our 35th. We spent another anniversary on a cruise on an overnight in Edinburg.

This summer we will celebrate our 40th. We actually looked at river cruise, but ended up booking a land trip with Budapest, Vienna, and Prague (where we will be on our anniversary). Budapest and Prague are on different rivers which kind of screwed up going to both on a river cruise.

Check signature below. We opted for Alaska because A) we did that for 25th and B) living near the port means no air travel expense and hassles and C) cruise sails on exact day of anniversary. Booked 11 months in advance due to need for wheelchair accessible cabin. Unique cruises like TAs we book on the day bookings open - usually 18-24 months.

By far the best and most memorable cruise (definitely major anniversary worthy) was our TA Miami to Rome with stops in Canary Is, Mallorca, Barcelona, Nice, Livorno and off at Civitavecchia (Rome) then 3 days in Rome. But for some a 2-1/2 week time commitment is tough to do.

If it were me, rather than asking other folks "where should we go?", I'd be asking each other "where do YOU want to go" and just go there.

We have! Just reaching out for additional ideas! We've traveled the world via the military, live at the beach and just thought I'd ask for suggestions. [emoji6]

Funny that you mentioned a wine country road trip because I went through that same discussion except I was the skeptical one. I prefer cruising. We ended up doing the wine country road trip. I don't even drink and I had a blast being the designated driver! But I missed "cruising" so I've booked a couple of cruises since. Looking forward to relaxing after my daughters wedding this summer.