Cruising in 20 days-diagnosed with 2 cm gallstone- What would you do?

dna529

I had my gall bladder removed in 1991 as an outpatient. It b came an outpatient procedure early that week. I was off work for 10 days and went on an extended camping trip a month later. I'm sure gall bladder surgery improved since then.

In other words. Get it done, and enjoy your cruise.

HI all!

dna529 ~ I had a similar problem. I had a trip to Cuba booked one Feb & the doctor offered the procedure in January but I didn't want to do it in case something went wrong. I went on my trip & worried the whole time that I'd have trouble & my insurance wouldn't cover me since it was a pre existing condition. I avoided red onions which seemed to me to be the trigger & nothing happened. I had the laparoscopy in March, home the same day & no problems or dietary restrictions after.

Hope the doctor says yes to the cruise.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for the insight. I was just going to ignore the doctor and go with whatever my fellow cruisers thought. You don't have to be snarky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

snarky? then why are you asking strangers about a medical condition? I would call it realistic, not snarky.

Everybody recovers different. I had a kidney stone that would not budge and I was leaving to go to Singapore in 5 days. I had it surgically removed on Tuesday morning and left for Singapore Wednesday. I think that there was no open would to heal made it easier. He went in through existing openings. Eeek!

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Thanks all. Having surgery on March 30. Hopefully cruising on April 7!

Glad to hear you're having the surgery before the cruise, you could have been miserable otherwise! I'm sure that you will fine on your cruise, I was taking care of a 3 week old only 2 days after having my gall bladder removed.

The tip is included, but you can choose to tip if you had really good service.

Bet it is just like Carnival at steakhouse tip is included but they wont tell you how much.:):)

Robot works very hard and probably doesnt gete home to see his family for months at a time.

I had Gallbladder removed and went on a cruise 13 days later. I had no problems. If the dr. doesn't have a problem with it I would do it. It really was fine. I would talk to the doctor about it. I would much rather do that then go through an attack on the ship

I have mine taken out back in '96 laprascopically. I felt 100% better when I woke up. Left same day. I don't know that I would have wanted to fly on an airplane a week later, but I felt much better. My gallbladder was completely blocked. You can die the same as a appendicitis . One thing I want to say is when your MD tells you not to vacuum for 6 weeks, listen. You will end up on the floor.

Have fun and quick healing.

My gallbladder is out at this point. But before it was, drinking apple juice helped when I had a flare up of pain. Eventually it got bad enough that I had the surgery, but I controlled it for weeks low fat diet and apple juice. And I wouldn't do the surgery prior to cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all of the very helpful replies! I meet with the surgeon Monday. I am definitely leaning towards having it before if possible. Just stressing out about missing more work.

Don't stress over missing more work - see if your surgeon will give you an excuse that includes the week of the cruise - you can save that week of vacation for later - a win - win!

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery and a great cruise to follow!

I guess I am out of the norm ... I would definitely talk to the surgeon and get his recommendation, but if it were me, I would WAIT until you return to have the surgery.

I had my gall bladder removed a few years back. Outpatient, laproscopy. In addition to the "rock quarry" the radiologist read, I also had gall bladder disease that they could not see on the ultrasound. Despite being released the following morning from surgery, total recovery was about 4/6 weeks. Also (and I hate to say this but it happens more often than not, according to my surgeon) ... I had a LOT of problems w/ stomach issues (i.e, rushing to the RR). My surgeon explained that it is normal and common as the body has to figure out how to function without the gall bladder and it takes awhile for the body to figure out what to do w/out it.

Having said that, there are things you can do to hold you over until you return and can schedule surgery - GI cocktail (phenol barbitol and powered malox) works wonders for the pain & pressure & heartburn symptoms ... pain meds, etc.

If you are going for spring break for your kids ... you want to enjoy the cruise. Not take a chance you will be laid up & unable to actually enjoy it or participate in functions.

Just my 2c.

One thing I want to say is when your MD tells you not to vacuum for 6 weeks, listen. You will end up on the floor.

No kidding! I thought it was a crazy thing to say, but OMG was he right!