Select Dining Reservations and Table Size

tiller

My mom and I are taking the British Isles cruise on the Silhouette in August. We were going to make our dining reservations online for Select Dining. However, there doesn't appear to be a way to specify that we don't want to be at a table for 2. If we make reservations now for the MDR, how can we let them know we want to be seated at a 6- or 8-top? Will the reservations lock us into a table for two, or will we be able to request a larger table when we're at the dining room?

You will be able to ask for whatever table size you want when you go to select dining. The reservation system does nothing really. When you go to dinner there will be two lines , one for with reservations and one without, but in practice they just allocate the tables to each line in turn. If you really want to be on a larger table you might be better asking to go onto traditional dining as it can be difficult to get a larger table all wanting to dine at the same time. Having said that, the tables are so close together you can always chat with someone even if you are on a two top table.

When go to the dining room for dinner you can tell the hostess that you would like to share a table. We do that occasionally and have met some very interesting folks. In our experience, those with reservations generally want a 2 top or have others (family/friends) dining with them so they are not looking to share a table.

You might have to wait quite a while for a large table to be filled up as not that many in Select want to join a large table. Also, unlike traditional where you can make and develop friendships with the same people each night, it's a bit harder on large tables in Select as you are likely to be with a new group each night so conversations tend to start off with the same introductory chat.

We like to meet people and to be honest as has been said, our tables for 2 have always led us to chat to those adjacent to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience, most select diners prefer to eat by themselves. Traditional dining is still an option if you prefer to eat with others. As others said, you won't be locked into a reservation if you make one but there's no telling how long the wait might be if you want to eat with others.

We have found that the tables for 2 are often close enough together that you can chat with nearby tables and we've even made friends that way that we got tables to eat together on future nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would echo what others have said. I have asthma which annoyingly causes me to cough if I do too much talking so sharing tables is a problem for me.

I always go for Select Dining so that we can have a table for two.

I really think that people who want to be sociable and chat to other people are more likely to choose traditional dining.