Would You Book a Cabin Under the Bridge?

Luvsnorkeling

Opinions, please...

Thinking of booking an inside cabin located directly under the bridge. Do you think there would be much noise coming from there (especially at night)?

Anyone actually had a cabin before in that location who could comment from experience?

Thanks!!

Opinions, please...

Thinking of booking an inside cabin located directly under the bridge. Do you think there would be much noise coming from there (especially at night)?

Anyone actually had a cabin before in that location who could comment from experience?

Thanks!!

No worries; There is no noise coming down from the bridge to the cabins situated below it. The bridge is a quiet work environment

On the other hand, there's frequently a lot of noise coming down to the bridge from the Gym located one deck directly above it. Some self imposed "workout animals" seem to feel that dropping your free weights on the floor (deck) after you're done with your reps accentuates the "power" and "intensity" projected from that same workout. It's not a pleasant noise for the officers on the bridge attempting to do their work and, moreover, it's totally not necessary

There have been many a telephone calls made from the bridge to the salon manager to kindly request these "heavy lifters" to please "place" not "throw" their dumbbells on the floor/deck

I can't speak to the HAL ships, but we just returned last month from a 16-night Panama Canal cruise on the NCL Jewel, where we had a stateroom directly under the bridge. As stated above, the bridge is a quiet (and, at least on NCL, carpeted) environment. They aren't exactly having parties up there. :) We could occasionally hear people walking above us, but nothing that would wake you up if you were asleep. I can't speak to anything but our own experience, but we wouldn't hesitate to book that stateroom again.

Our%20cabin%201024x666_zpsgeut5ofp.jpg

Most cruise line bridges are actually elevated platforms above the deck floor. This raised floor is to route all the wiring required for the the instrumentation and control binnacles. That creates a nice sound dampening.

Most cruise line bridges are actually elevated platforms above the deck floor. This raised floor is to route all the wiring required for the the instrumentation and control binnacles. That creates a nice sound dampening.

That's also the case on HAL ships; think computer room floor. One more item; one of the few times when there's a large number of people on the bridge is around 1000-1045 am when a BRM (Bridge Resources Management) meeting (after the daily coffee break) with the entire Deck/Navigation Dept takes place. This is rarely done late at night except perhaps for Midnight departures. Only other large groups on the bridge are when tours are present

No worries; There is no noise coming down from the bridge to the cabins situated below it. The bridge is a quiet work environment

On the other hand, there's frequently a lot of noise coming down to the bridge from the Gym located one deck directly above it. Some self imposed "workout animals" seem to feel that dropping your free weights on the floor (deck) after you're done with your reps accentuates the "power" and "intensity" projected from that same workout. It's not a pleasant noise for the officers on the bridge attempting to do their work and, moreover, it's totally not necessary

There have been many a telephone calls made from the bridge to the salon manager to kindly request these "heavy lifters" to please "place" not "throw" their dumbbells on the floor/deck

I've often been tempted to tell those guys that the lift would have been impressive if the had enough energy left to control the weight all the way down and put it away.

I hear people dropping weights all the time at my gym, it's ridiculous. [emoji1304][emoji849] . At my old gym they were called lunkheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! You've helped to reassure us. We thought it would be quiet, and it's good to know others agree.

The motion won't bother us. We've cruised numerous times and been in all kinds of sea conditions.

Same here -- the motion up front doesn't bother us. And we have also cruises in all kinds of sea conditions.

Now that I use a rollator, I do worry about getting around the ship when the seas are rough.

Thinking of booking an inside cabin located directly under the bridge. Do you think there would be much noise coming from there (especially at night)? Anyone actually had a cabin before in that location who could comment from experience?

DW and I had the oceanview cabin circled in red below the bridge for 10 nights on the Rotterdam. No problem whatsoever, never heard a thing from above.

MVC-762aS.JPG

I had a Penthouse cabin that was located directly below the bridge. on NCL Dawn There was NO NOISE FROM ABOVe, however, I did not like being so far forward.. It was a large, very cxomforeatable cab in. I was instructed I could not p;ut on a verrnadah lijght at night when we were at sea s it interferred with visibility on the bridge. I knew this in advance and was no issue for me. I would hesttate to be so far forward again.

Once on a RCCL ship we were on there was a row of windows for looking down into the bridge and observing the "action" there which was very very little. Generally a guy sitting in the big chair monitoring a bunch of.... monitors. Radar, position chart, speed & heading and a WHOLE BUNCH of them tuned to the security cameras around the pool that seemed to be getting a lot of attention. ;)

DW and I had the oceanview cabin circled in red below the bridge for 10 nights on the Rotterdam. No problem whatsoever, never heard a thing from above.

MVC-762aS.JPG

That pic of RTDM VI was taken a while ago. She still has her original and multiple spa/gym windows. That area looks completely different now after the spa/gym extensions on all "S" and "R"-class vessels. Thanks for posting it; don't get to see that much anymore

We were in a cabin directly below the bridge on P&O Aurora in November. Absolutely no noise whatsoever. As someone else said we had to draw the blinds at night so our lights didn't distract the bridge. We were lucky and had a very smooth cruise (Christmas Market Cruise) will a beautifully calm North Sea so no movement either. [emoji1303][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does it seem especially windy on the balcony when you have a room at the front of the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, and the balconies were on the side of the cabin so no wind - we were able to get out on to the communal balcony at the front of the ship, but this was cordoned off if the wind was too strong. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Opinions, please...

Thanks!!

Just read your post and although we did not experience noise in our cabin (8116) on the Breakaway we did experience water dripping onto our balcony from the extended platform on the bridge where the captain/pilot/navigators stand when ship is docking or leaving port. I don't know the source of the dripping, but cabins 8116, 8118, 8120 and maybe more got wet during docking and/or leaving port! That was the only problem we had with mini suite 8116 which has an extra large balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums