Dress code on the Silhouette...

gymjunkie

Sailing on the Silhouette in a few weeks.... need to know the dress code for everything from the buffet to formal nights. Sometimes what the website says and what actually happens onboard is different. We will be in the Caribbean in April. Have cruised many times, but the first on Celebrity.

Celebrity doesn't have formal nights any longer they have been replaced by Evening Chic.

Buffet is casual all the time, no swim suits but shorts & tee shirts are ok.

MDR for breakfast & lunch shorts, tees, flip flops are ok. No shorts, tees, etc in the evening. Evening Chic-no suit or tie needed for men, pants and shirt with or without sport coat. Some men do wear suits or even a tux but not required. EC for women, dress or skirt/pants and dressy top.

Celebrity doesn't have formal nights any longer they have been replaced by Evening Chic.

Buffet is casual all the time, no swim suits but shorts & tee shirts are ok.

MDR for breakfast & lunch shorts, tees, flip flops are ok. No shorts, tees, etc in the evening. Evening Chic-no suit or tie needed for men, pants and shirt with or without sport coat. Some men do wear suits or even a tux but not required. EC for women, dress or skirt/pants and dressy top.

Exactly!

my wife and I have been on the sillouette the last 2 years. we have found that on celebrity people dress up more than most of the other lines. we have found this ship to be classier also. most people do dress up on the evening chic nights. they call it chic but most people do the formal thing on sillouette these 2 nights. as far as the other nights we saw more women dressed nice with dresses etc.on than we have on the other lines. most men wore nice slacks and shirts also. some people like to dress up each night and some don't. you just find that on every cruise but celebrity seems to be a step above in class.

MDR for breakfast & lunch shorts, tees, flip flops are ok. No shorts, tees, etc in the evening.

Not that it bothers me in the slightest, but I wondered about this one. I certainly saw (and wore) plenty of tees in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, but the official policy (and printed in the daily) seems to contradict. Is this just something they let slide?

Or is my reading comprehension failing me?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq478

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Not that it bothers me in the slightest, but I wondered about this one. I certainly saw (and wore) plenty of tees in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, but the official policy (and printed in the daily) seems to contradict. Is this just something they let slide?

Or is my reading comprehension failing me?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq478

You are absolutely correct. No Tees in the MDR or restaurants at any meal. Weather you will be turned away, may vary from ship to ship or sailing to sailing. Buffet is ok.

I have seen some men wear what I would call bermuda shorts in the MDR for lunch.. Dressier shorts.

Also, my experience is that people do dress up on the dressy nights. Jacket and tie or suits very common. Tuxes and dinner jackets also still worn. However, lots of people on this board are heavily invested in convincing people that they needn't dress up at all. You are free to use your own judgment.

You are absolutely correct. No Tees in the MDR or restaurants at any meal. Weather you will be turned away, may vary from ship to ship or sailing to sailing. Buffet is ok.

I have seen some men wear what I would call bermuda shorts in the MDR for lunch.. Dressier shorts.

Also, my experience is that people do dress up on the dressy nights. Jacket and tie or suits very common. Tuxes and dinner jackets also still worn. However, lots of people on this board are heavily invested in convincing people that they needn't dress up at all. You are free to use your own judgment.

T shirts and shorts are absolutely allowed in the MDR for Breakfast and lunch. Celebrity does not expect people to eat and go back to your rooms to change before going on shore. Most people in the MDR for breakfast and lunch will be in shorts and t shirts on a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise. That may be in the web site as being forbidden but they haven't enforced that in years.

I was on the Silhouette just over a week ago and saw a man in the MDR on Evening Chic night in a Hollister T-shirt. Didn't bother me but did surprise me a bit that he was allowed in based on the dress code. The majority of people we saw were dressed very nice at all times and did see some Tuxes and long evening gowns on Chic night.

...However, lots of people on this board are heavily invested in convincing people that they needn't dress up at all...

And then there are lots of people on this board that are heavily invested in convincing people that they need to dress up.

Edited by davekathy

You are going to take the word of =x= website? Never once seen that enforced on lots of Celebrity cruises.

And yes, people do dress (tuxes/suits) up on chic nights but nowhere near the majority. 100 nights in the dining room since new dress code introduced.

We are not "invested in convincing people that they needn't dress up at all", Celebrity is. You know, the people who run the deal. They decided, after much discussion, to jettison forced formal dress on their cruises. Now you have a number of passengers, so they can live in their fantasy world, virtually insist that everyone should dress up.

The beauty of the dress code is this: If you want to dress to the nines, do so. No one will hassle you, look askance at you or bother you. No one. The same goes for me. If I want to dress to fit the code (e.g. slacks and a nice dress-type shirt, no jacket, no suit, no tux), leave me alone.

You are going to take the word of =x= website? Never once seen that enforced on lots of Celebrity cruises.

And yes, people do dress (tuxes/suits) up on chic nights but nowhere near the majority. 100 nights in the dining room since new dress code introduced.

We are not "invested in convincing people that they needn't dress up at all", Celebrity is. You know, the people who run the deal. They decided, after much discussion, to jettison forced formal dress on their cruises. Now you have a number of passengers, so they can live in their fantasy world, virtually insist that everyone should dress up.

The beauty of the dress code is this: If you want to dress to the nines, do so. No one will hassle you, look askance at you or bother you. No one. The same goes for me. If I want to dress to fit the code (e.g. slacks and a nice dress-type shirt, no jacket, no suit, no tux), leave me alone.

I've seen people turned away for dinner on a couple of occasions as recently as last spring

Sent from my iPad using Forums

my wife and I have been on the sillouette the last 2 years. we have found that on celebrity people dress up more than most of the other lines. we have found this ship to be classier also. most people do dress up on the evening chic nights. they call it chic but most people do the formal thing on sillouette these 2 nights. as far as the other nights we saw more women dressed nice with dresses etc.on than we have on the other lines. most men wore nice slacks and shirts also. some people like to dress up each night and some don't. you just find that on every cruise but celebrity seems to be a step above in class.

My experience had been different. I have seen very few people in formal wear.

T shirts and shorts are absolutely allowed in the MDR for Breakfast and lunch. Celebrity does not expect people to eat and go back to your rooms to change before going on shore. Most people in the MDR for breakfast and lunch will be in shorts and t shirts on a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise. That may be in the web site as being forbidden but they haven't enforced that in years.

I never saw anyone in the MDR in a tee shirt. Then again, it's only open on sea days. So, I only go by what I see and what the website says. I did say, however, that I don't know how strictly it is enforced.

My experience had been different. I have seen very few people in formal wear.

Well you certainly weren't on the Eclipse this Jan.22-Feb.5. Though the dress code said "Chic" there were probably close to 50% wearing tuxes or other pretty formal wear in the MDR. On the non Chic nights, it was pretty much "smart casual". The third Chic night seemed to be the one where most went all out. We had our suits, but only wear tuxes if we're on Cunard.

I never saw anyone in the MDR in a tee shirt. Then again, it's only open on sea days. So, I only go by what I see and what the website says. I did say, however, that I don't know how strictly it is enforced.

MDR is open everyday for breakfast Celebriity is not going to tell people to go change class this after eating breakfast.

We are sailing Aqua on Silhouette. What would be the dress code for breakfast in Blu?

You're going to get 1000 people who think they understand what appropriate attire is.

In Blu, smart casual will work breakfast or dinner.

You're going to love that ship and that restaurant.

~Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDR is open everyday for breakfast Celebriity is not going to tell people to go change class this after eating breakfast.

Agree. We eat breakfast (everyday) and lunch (on sea days) in the MDR and I always wear a T-shirt, cargo shorts and vans.

Edited by davekathy

Your next cruise try the MDR for breakfast. It's open every morning. T-shirts and shorts are the norm.

Edited by davekathy