Hotel suggestions for NE/Canada cruise in October

fire&teacher

DH and I would like to spend a couple of days before our cruise in New York. We are traveling in October. We are not sure to book a hotel in Brooklyn or Manhattan. We do not know which port we are sailing out of yet. Would like to visit 911 Memorial and Freeport, Long Island. Any suggestions of hotels to stay at? Thanks

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, right down by Wall Street, the 911 memorial is around the corner, when we were there they were still working on it... not a bad location... if you get a good deal, we did, was over Labor Day weekend.

DH and I would like to spend a couple of days before our cruise in New York. We are traveling in October. We are not sure to book a hotel in Brooklyn or Manhattan. We do not know which port we are sailing out of yet. Would like to visit 911 Memorial and Freeport, Long Island. Any suggestions of hotels to stay at? Thanks

We have always sailed out of Brooklyn in our Canada/NE cruise.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, right down by Wall Street, the 911 memorial is around the corner, when we were there they were still working on it... not a bad location... if you get a good deal, we did, was over Labor Day weekend.

Thank you. I will check into that.

Thank you. I will look into hotels in Brooklyn then.

While you are probably sailing out of Brooklyn, I would stay in Manhattan. That is where I prefer to be and central to many things I want to see. I would then get a car service to the ship.

My friend and I will be on The Regal to New England/Canada in September. From what I have learned here on CC, we will be sailing out of Brooklyn. We are staying at a hotel in Times Square so we can do some of the touristy stuff when we arrive the day before. I will arrange for a car service to take us to the pier on Saturday morning.

Have fun on your cruise!

Bad news..

The last week of September through the 3rd week of October is one of the most, if not the most expensive weeks of the year in NYC because the UN has the Presidents of all the member Nations come one by one and address the UN during this time periods.

Some countries book entire hotels during this period.. Bring your wallet !!

Srpilo

Embassy Suites is opening a brand new one in Times Square and reservations are being taken for Oct 2nd on. It's in a great location to get around the city. I wish it was open when we go in September but it's not. I'm still trying to find a place I want to stay for the two nights we are there. Several of you have mentioned that you stayed there but not which hotels you used or how you liked them. Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Hello fire&teacher,

I see you have gotten some good suggestions and comments, but let me add mine. Chances are you will be leaving out of Brooklyn. While a hotel there may be convenient to boarding, it takes you away from the two places you wanted to see. The 911 Memorial is downtown Manhattan and the main terminal for the Long Island Rail Road is in Midtown (Penn Station). I would suggest that you look for a small boutique hotel in Manhattan. They typically are a bit more reasonable than the larger hotels. Another idea would be airbnb, again in Manhattan.

The Canada, New England cruises are quite nice. Enjoy yourself.

Embassy Suites is opening a brand new one in Times Square and reservations are being taken for Oct 2nd on. It's in a great location to get around the city. I wish it was open when we go in September but it's not. I'm still trying to find a place I want to stay for the two nights we are there. Several of you have mentioned that you stayed there but not which hotels you used or how you liked them. Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Times Square isn't my preferred locale when visiting in New York, but a couple of years ago at a family gathering, the choice had been made of the Courtyard Manhattan/Central Park, and I would unhesitatingly recommend it. It's at Broadway and 54th, a few blocks north of Times Square but an easy walk. The rooms have big windows and the views to the south were excellent (can't speak for the other sides of the hotel!), the furnishing and fixtures very modern and chic (the shower was a huge walk-in; loved it). The staff at the time was friendly and helpful. I don't recall that the rates were excessive. I'd stay there again.

Times Square isn't my preferred locale when visiting in New York, but a couple of years ago at a family gathering, the choice had been made of the Courtyard Manhattan/Central Park, and I would unhesitatingly recommend it. It's at Broadway and 54th, a few blocks north of Times Square but an easy walk. The rooms have big windows and the views to the south were excellent (can't speak for the other sides of the hotel!), the furnishing and fixtures very modern and chic (the shower was a huge walk-in; loved it). The staff at the time was friendly and helpful. I don't recall that the rates were excessive. I'd stay there again.

Are there good restaurants close by? Is there a subway station nearby? My walking is a bit limited and I can't walk as far as I could five years ago. We will be coming off a cruise on the Crown Princess.

As a New Yorker, I would not stay any where near Times Square. As an out out of towner, I can see the draw but it's extremely overcrowded, and restaurants overpriced with not especially good quality food. And staying in Brooklyn would definitely also not be my choice unless it's a price issue. Personally, I work around the Freedom Towers and walk by the most beautiful hotels in Soho and Tribecca and even the financial district all the time while walking to work. You would be in lower Manhattan close to the Trade Center site and quite near the Brooklyn bridge making it easy to get a cab to the ships terminal avoiding midtown traffic congestion nightmares. It's a short ride away. Manhattan narrows considerably downtown. Public transportation is easy and accessible. And there is a free Connection Bus which goes from the east side to the west side throughout the area for those in the know! While at the Freedom tower, you can check out Battery Park (beautiful), catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, go to SouthStreet seaport, or The World Financial Center for some really upscale shopping or really to look at the gorgeous glass dome and yachts outside. Get your picture taken with the charging bull near wall Street. Visit the American Indian Museum. Take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Then do some knock off shopping on Canal Street. Walk to China Town for dinner, (Peking Duck House, YAY) or eat at some of the outdoor cafes in Soho and Tribecca. All relatively close by by New Yorkers standards. We walk everywhere. So maybe the Soho Grand is out of reach but I did a search and the Courtyard New York Downtown ManhattanWorld Trade Center, The New York Marriott Downtown. Gild Hall, A Thompson Hotel, Hampton Inn Downtown Financial District, and DoubleTree by Hilton Financial District were rated well and were a bit less expensive. (boy, that's relative in Manhattan!) Good luck and have fun on your vacation.

Bad news..

The last week of September through the 3rd week of October is one of the most, if not the most expensive weeks of the year in NYC because the UN has the Presidents of all the member Nations come one by one and address the UN during this time periods.

Some countries book entire hotels during this period.. Bring your wallet !!

Srpilo

I agree and noticed that when I was looking for hotels too. :o

Hello fire&teacher,

I see you have gotten some good suggestions and comments, but let me add mine. Chances are you will be leaving out of Brooklyn. While a hotel there may be convenient to boarding, it takes you away from the two places you wanted to see. The 911 Memorial is downtown Manhattan and the main terminal for the Long Island Rail Road is in Midtown (Penn Station). I would suggest that you look for a small boutique hotel in Manhattan. They typically are a bit more reasonable than the larger hotels. Another idea would be airbnb, again in Manhattan.

The Canada, New England cruises are quite nice. Enjoy yourself.

Thank you very much for the information.

As a New Yorker, I would not stay any where near Times Square. As an out out of towner, I can see the draw but it's extremely overcrowded, and restaurants overpriced with not especially good quality food. And staying in Brooklyn would definitely also not be my choice unless it's a price issue. Personally, I work around the Freedom Towers and walk by the most beautiful hotels in Soho and Tribecca and even the financial district all the time while walking to work. You would be in lower Manhattan close to the Trade Center site and quite near the Brooklyn bridge making it easy to get a cab to the ships terminal avoiding midtown traffic congestion nightmares. It's a short ride away. Manhattan narrows considerably downtown. Public transportation is easy and accessible. And there is a free Connection Bus which goes from the east side to the west side throughout the area for those in the know! While at the Freedom tower, you can check out Battery Park (beautiful), catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, go to SouthStreet seaport, or The World Financial Center for some really upscale shopping or really to look at the gorgeous glass dome and yachts outside. Get your picture taken with the charging bull near wall Street. Visit the American Indian Museum. Take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Then do some knock off shopping on Canal Street. Walk to China Town for dinner, (Peking Duck House, YAY) or eat at some of the outdoor cafes in Soho and Tribecca. All relatively close by by New Yorkers standards. We walk everywhere. So maybe the Soho Grand is out of reach but I did a search and the Courtyard New York Downtown ManhattanWorld Trade Center, The New York Marriott Downtown. Gild Hall, A Thompson Hotel, Hampton Inn Downtown Financial District, and DoubleTree by Hilton Financial District were rated well and were a bit less expensive. (boy, that's relative in Manhattan!) Good luck and have fun on your vacation.

Thank you for your search for hotels and your information. I will check those things out.