Vegetarian in MDR

passy

Gonna get flamed, but am going to be a little contrarian. Vegetarians are "picky" diners who have made a decision (for various reasons) to follow a specific type of diet. There are at least 7 types of vegetarians (such as Vegan, Ovo Vegetarian, Lacto, etc) and all have different criteria to what they will or will not eat. There are also many other picky eaters (some for very important health reasons) such as gluten free, peanut free, etc etc. If a cruise line were to try and accommodate each type of preference, their menus would run to many pages.

We think that most cruise lines try very hard to accommodate special diets and preferences, but it is going to be impossible to please everyone on a general menu. One wonders what would happen if 2,000 passengers on the Oasis of the Seas....all asked for Special menus or items.

We do have a constructive suggestion for mass market cruise lines. Somebody should routinely run Vegetarian cruises. We should note that Hapag-Lloyd does offer a Vegan cruise in 2017, but we are talking about something more accessible and affordable to those who are Vegetarians or who might like to try that different type of diet.

Hank

Hank, not going to flame you but perhaps enlighten you. First, as said before, your comments aren't really helpful to the discussion. And honestly, your use of the term "picky" says a lot about how you are thinking about some serious issues. People's reasons for a particular diet overwhelmingly are based on philosophical or health reasons. They are perfectly valid. It's not a matter of not liking spinach, lemon or garlic, with might make them picky in your eyes.

And FYI, other cruise lines do a spectacular job on providing foods for vegans/vegetarians. Holland America will deliver a huge menu to your stateroom the night before, making it usually not necessary to speak to your head waiter at all. I love Holland America for that reason, but Princess is still my preferred line

The fact that you would suggest a special cruise for vegans/vegetarians is funny!

Hey, why not have a diabetics cruise! Or a lactose intolerant cruise! Boy what fun. That sure will go over really well with the husbands, wives, and friends of the afflicted. LOL

Fortunately, Princess has no problem dealing with peoples tastes whether they are picky eaters or not, or whether they have allergies or restricted diets for health reasons. :D

One of the first things the waiter asks after introducing him/herself is if there are any dietary restrictions. If so, they bring a headwaiter over. Don't be afraid to ask! While they do supervise and help the waiters, this is really their biggest job.

I had my fingers burned on my last cruise when one night I asked for the salmon with a different sauce (I don't like lemon) and was met with a curt "no" from the waiter who told me it was the menu as it stood or nothing....kinda put me off requesting an entirely different meal!

Even if no other sauce was available, you should have been able to order the salmon with no sauce.

Hi all.

I'm a vegetarian although I do eat a limited amount of fish.

On previous princess cruises I have been disappointed by having only one veggie option on the MDR dinner menu and if I didn't like it then it was fish or nothing.

I now understand that if I speak to the Maitre D there may be more options available to me?

But I wonder how this works? Next cruise I'm CC anytime dining so won't have the same table or waiter every night.

Has anyone any experience of making special veggie requests please?

PS I'm your typical Brit and don't like to be "demanding" so find it very awkward to make special requests!!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just visit the Maître D and let them know your concerns. They should be able to accommodate you. I mean how difficult can it be to get Broccoli/Cauliflower/Peas/Carrots etc.?

Just visit the Maître D and let them know your concerns. They should be able to accommodate you. I mean how difficult can it be to get Broccoli/Cauliflower/Peas/Carrots etc.?

You don't need to talk with the maître d' for something this simple. Just talk with your head waiter.

You should be talking with the head waiter every night to order the next day's meals anyway. That's how they deal with people with food restrictions. That gives them enough time to make changes in the items in order to meet your needs.

Without any advance notice or speaking to a head waiter, you can order any vegetable on the menu to go with any item on the menu. Look at all of the vegetables listed with all of the other main courses (and even all of the vegetables listed on the children's menu) - all of those are available with any main course just by asking you waiter (without ordering in advance).

One thing I used to do as a vegetarian in the MDR is that if I know I'll hate the veggie entree (usually just on the inevitable eggplant night, yech), I'll order an appetizer to come with everyone else's, and then another appetizer and a soup or a couple side dishes to come at the same time as the entrees. They do try to be pretty accommodating. It sounds like you had an unusual experience with a badly trained waiter.

April is my first cruise since going vegan. Wish me luck... :eek:

One thing I used to do as a vegetarian in the MDR is that if I know I'll hate the veggie entree (usually just on the inevitable eggplant night, yech), I'll order an appetizer to come with everyone else's, and then another appetizer and a soup or a couple side dishes to come at the same time as the entrees. They do try to be pretty accommodating. It sounds like you had an unusual experience with a badly trained waiter.

April is my first cruise since going vegan. Wish me luck... :eek:

Good luck! Just remember, your steak will always be waiting for you in the MDR.;)