re: Evening Chic- question from dh

Jetswdo

Wow, a lot of responses-- Dh has no problem with a blazer type jacket- he hates wearing any button down shirt, period.

The web site says, "button down shirt" which he just doesn't want to do, unless he would stand out. So as long as he can just wear a golf shirt, with the jacket as needed that works for him.

Golf shirt is fine..

In my world a "button down" shirt is a shirt that has a collar and buttons that go all the way to the bottom, not just two or three near the neck like a golf shirt. It can be long sleeve or short sleeve.

On my last cruise a few weeks ago I didn't see much difference between the regular nights and evening chic. Most guys (95%) were in golf shirts and khakis every night. Very few ties, just a few jackets.

I think the era of dressing up on a cruise is pretty much gone (which is a shame IMO).

I believe the Celebrity website says, for chic nights, "dress shirt, button down shirt or sweater". That means one would have basically 3 options - not just a button-down shirt. I do not believe a button-down shirt means a shirt with buttons all the way down the front - that would just be a dress shirt (or a sports shirt). I think a "button-down" shirt means a shirt with a collar that has buttons attaching the collar to the shirt at the pointy end of the collar (if you get my gist).

Edited by thon
needs more clarity

Wow, a lot of responses-- Dh has no problem with a blazer type jacket- he hates wearing any button down shirt, period.

The web site says, "button down shirt" which he just doesn't want to do, unless he would stand out. So as long as he can just wear a golf shirt, with the jacket as needed that works for him.

A golf shirt + long trousers will be perfectly fine, with or without a jacket, whichever your DH prefers.

You will see a wide variety in styles of dress.

That is the whole idea of chic nights: for people to dress to please themselves (within the guidelines, of course);

not for everyone to dress alike.

But you already stated that you plan to eat in the specialty restaurants on evening chic nights and then go to the show. If you do that, the evening chic dress code won't even apply to you at all.

The dress code for the specialty restaurants and the theater is always smart casual, never evening chic

(although there will always be some who choose to dress up anyway, for one reason or another).

Mcgoo14, we sailed on Silhouette 2/26/17 in Aqua Class. Dress Pants, Dark Jeans, Dress Shirts and Polos were all we ever wore and did not feel a bit out of place in Blu. Many, even on Evening Chic nights, wore khakis and either a dress shirt or Polo. Others wore suits, some just jackets, never saw a Tuxedo.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think it's a real shame that the traditional formal night has been lost. I always found it to be a fun night and something special when everyone dressed up in formal attire. With the current dress code it sounds like it will just be like every other night but with a few jackets or blazers worn.

I for one will be taking my dinner suit and bow tie for the Tradewinds TA on 16th April and hopefully I won't be the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There were plenty of tuxes on the Eclipse during our Jan.22-Feb. trip. The longer trips seem to attract a clientele that still likes to dress up(we certainly do)

I was on the Eclipse on the sane dates . The 4 men on our table all wore Dinner Suits . Didnt care what anyone else wore.

Never seen anyone in a 'tux' on any boat trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

donstroudUK...we will be on the same cruise and my husband is bringing his tux, so you won't be alone! On our last cruise on Eclipse we didn't dress up for chic night and found we missed it.

This time we are doing our first B2B2B, and will juggle luggage to get the formal stuff in. At least with three cruises we will actually get more use from them!

I love seeing all the men looking wonderful in their tuxes!

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
spelling

It is unfortunate that over the years, we seem to have lost the desire to "dress up" for just about everything and instead want to opt for the "minimal" a person can get by with. Remember when you dressed nicely to fly? No more. Sad testament of our society actually. Probably why the "chic night" style of dress was created to replace the "formal night" style. Soon, "chic night" will be gone and we can just show up in our jammies......

We will be "dressing up" on our cruise in August, and I hope we aren't the only ones. No long gown or tux, but "cocktail" attire for sure.

Off on our first Celebrity sailing in 56 days and since our last 'Evening Chic' has been implemented. I don't understand the terminology 'Country Club Casual' or what a 'golf shirt' is (don't play golf!).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Off on our first Celebrity sailing in 56 days and since our last 'Evening Chic' has been implemented. I don't understand the terminology 'Country Club Casual' or what a 'golf shirt' is (don't play golf!).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Can't go wrong with Google.

Can't go wrong with Google.
Many thanks so helpful:rolleyes:

With country club casual dress, the bottom half of the outfit is less important than the top. Shorts and capri pants are typically not allowed, though women can wear knee-length skirts. Men are encouraged to wear pressed slacks in a black or khaki color. mmm, no shirts?

Golf shirt - ugh, never in a dining room in my world, even more so under a jacket, far too casual IMHO, you're eating dinner not playing a round of golf.

Same old story, it appears that the dress suggestion these days is geared towards the US market and the never ending lowering of dress standards to the point that shorts and t shirts will be acceptable dress in the MDR. No doubt as a result of the never ending cries of 'it's my vacation, I'll wear what I want and don't care what other think' more like 'I don't have any respect for my fellow travellers'

It's as bad as 'business casual' which shows no respect for the business community as far as I'm concerned. Just an excuse not to wear a suit and tie.

Edited by peteukmcr

Don't care what others wear but love my hubby in his James Bond tux or his ivory jacket. He looks sexy! If he wore a simple shirt and pants I'd say fine, let's go to the buffet. I know he dresses up for me and I love it. I wear a retro 50s satiny swing dress or short empire waist cocktail dress and add bling.

We don't have opportunity at home to dress up so this is fun romantic fantasy for me :)

Don't care what others wear but love my hubby in his James Bond tux or his ivory jacket. He looks sexy! If he wore a simple shirt and pants I'd say fine, let's go to the buffet. I know he dresses up for me and I love it. I wear a retro 50s satiny swing dress or short empire waist cocktail dress and add bling.

We don't have opportunity at home to dress up so this is fun romantic fantasy for me :)

Agreed!! Love it!! Enough of the "gee, can't I just wear my stinky shorts"! Cruising was once so classy. Let's keep the class of cruising alive. Golf shirt? Really? If you have no idea what a .... never mind. Folks, keep the class, the elegance, in cruising on a wonderful ship and in the ship experience. You're not at Wally World!

This thread has come totally unglued. Well the posters have. So I do EXACTLY what the cruise line requests and get castigated for underdressing?

You people need to get to the store tomorrow and go shopping. I hear there is a sale on lives this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Can anyone enlighten me?

A "golf" shirt or "polo" shirt refers to a generally short sleeved cotton knit shirt with a collar and three buttons at the throat. Such a shirt is acceptable attire on its own or under a sports coat.

e522652effe153aedcd40b1b2a2c41e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm surprised the mod's haven't shut this thread down and merged it with the dress code sticky.

Probably because there would be another shortly. There are a certain cadre of posters here who insist that unless you dress to their standards, which is largely formal, then you are ruining their fantasy, or destroying their cruise or turning Celebrity into a low-class junk line. Because it plays into that fantasy, they want to flit around with their fellow cruisers looking just like they do.

News flash: We've sailed =X= a LOT since the "chic" code was introduced, and 95%+ of the time pax have generally followed the code. Alas, the fearmongering of bathing suits in the MDR, wife-beaters throughout the ship or worse, simply have NOT materialized.

Get over it.

Probably because there would be another shortly. There are a certain cadre of posters here who insist that unless you dress to their standards, which is largely formal, then you are ruining their fantasy, or destroying their cruise or turning Celebrity into a low-class junk line. Because it plays into that fantasy, they want to flit around with their fellow cruisers looking just like they do.

News flash: We've sailed =X= a LOT since the "chic" code was introduced, and 95%+ of the time pax have generally followed the code. Alas, the fearmongering of bathing suits in the MDR, wife-beaters throughout the ship or worse, simply have NOT materialized.

Get over it.

This thread was pretty tame for a 'dress code' thread. Of course that would have been prior to your ranting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread was pretty tame for a 'dress code' thread. Of course that would have been prior to your ranting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got it. Was briefly confused. I do precisely what the cruise line suggests and I now am dumbing down the line. Or should go to the buffet. Or are lowering the standards. Or representing a "sad testement to our society." Or ruining their fantasy.

Check my posts. I am ALWAYS respectful of those who want to play the dress-up game. Knock yourself out. Dress as formally as you wish, absolutely no problem. That is the beauty of the new code. Unfortunately, the pendulum doesn't swing the same way. I wear a golf shirt and slacks and the world is ending.

And I am ranting. Contact.

Many thanks so helpful:rolleyes:

With country club casual dress, the bottom half of the outfit is less important than the top. Shorts and capri pants are typically not allowed, though women can wear knee-length skirts. Men are encouraged to wear pressed slacks in a black or khaki color. mmm, no shirts?

Golf shirt - ugh, never in a dining room in my world, even more so under a jacket, far too casual IMHO, you're eating dinner not playing a round of golf.

Same old story, it appears that the dress suggestion these days is geared towards the US market and the never ending lowering of dress standards to the point that shorts and t shirts will be acceptable dress in the MDR. No doubt as a result of the never ending cries of 'it's my vacation, I'll wear what I want and don't care what other think' more like 'I don't have any respect for my fellow travellers'

It's as bad as 'business casual' which shows no respect for the business community as far as I'm concerned. Just an excuse not to wear a suit and tie.

Agreed! We'll be on that sailing with you, and we'll be dressing up.

Check my posts. I am ALWAYS respectful of those who want to play the dress-up game. Knock yourself out. Dress as formally as you wish, absolutely no problem. That is the beauty of the new code.

Thanks. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's cruise by wearing my tux. ;):D

Got it. Was briefly confused. I do precisely what the cruise line suggests and I now am dumbing down the line. Or should go to the buffet. Or are lowering the standards. Or representing a "sad testement to our society." Or ruining their fantasy.

Check my posts. I am ALWAYS respectful of those who want to play the dress-up game. Knock yourself out. Dress as formally as you wish, absolutely no problem. That is the beauty of the new code. Unfortunately, the pendulum doesn't swing the same way. I wear a golf shirt and slacks and the world is ending.

And I am ranting. Contact.

Can I just ask a question? You say you are ALWAYS respectful but then you get rather passive aggressive, maybe snarky at best, with the "fantasy" and "play dress-up" verbiage. Could you explain how that is respectful because it sounds like you are baiting people IMHO.