Crown Grill Menu Question

Tiggerontheseas

My husband and I have booked the Crown Grill for our upcoming cruise and I have a quick question about the vegetable selections that are listed on the menu. I don't want to make it seem like my husband is a picky eater because he's really, really not (LOVES food - lol) but it just so happens that he doesn't eat either asparagus or spinach and he has a mushroom allergy.

Does anyone know if they will substitute an alternate vegetable (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.). If not, it's not a big deal and he certainly won't go hungry but I was just wondering. :)

I am pretty sure they will arrange to get him any kind of vegetable he wants ... even if not on the menu. Just be sure to let them know ahead of time.

The service is amazing!

That is great to hear. We'll definitely be sure to give them advance notice but really don't want to put them out much either.

My husband and I have booked the Crown Grill for our upcoming cruise and I have a quick question about the vegetable selections that are listed on the menu. I don't want to make it seem like my husband is a picky eater because he's really, really not (LOVES food - lol) but it just so happens that he doesn't eat either asparagus or spinach and he has a mushroom allergy.

Does anyone know if they will substitute an alternate vegetable (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.). If not, it's not a big deal and he certainly won't go hungry but I was just wondering. :)

The alternates you mentioned should not be a problem. Once on board pay a visit to the Rest. & let them know.

Make sure to provide them advance notice of the mushroom allergy so they can make sure that his food is not contaminated by mushroom.

Also make sure to speak with the head waiter in the main dining room about the mushroom allergy. He will make sure that mushrooms are avoided in all foods served. By taking the dinner order the day ahead, he will also be able to offer items that normally have mushrooms without the mushrooms.

Make sure to provide them advance notice of the mushroom allergy so they can make sure that his food is not contaminated by mushroom.

Also make sure to speak with the head waiter in the main dining room about the mushroom allergy. He will make sure that mushrooms are avoided in all foods served. By taking the dinner order the day ahead, he will also be able to offer items that normally have mushrooms without the mushrooms.

Thank you. We will definitely let them know. :)

It is pretty scary to believe with the hundreds of tons of food they have on the ship you only have a choice of Asparagus or spinach. Don't be concerned and have a great meal.

My problem with Crown Grill was that they "refused" to get me an Ice Tea. They said that they would have to go to the Horizon to get one. That was it.

Just order hot tea and a large glass of ice and make your own....

My problem with Crown Grill was that they "refused" to get me an Ice Tea. They said that they would have to go to the Horizon to get one. That was it.

I would have immediately spoken with a head waiter if a waiter in any restaurant told me that.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the Veggies. Having just gotten back from the 3-25 sailing of the Crown my advice would be to cancel the Clown Grill entirely. Look for my post in a few days explaining.

Forget the Veggies. Having just gotten back from the 3-25 sailing of the Crown my advice would be to cancel the Clown Grill entirely. Look for my post in a few days explaining.

I was on the 20-25 cruise and I would advise the same.....cancel. And I will be looking for your explanation as well.

Uh, oh. I'll look for your review to see what went wrong. We're on the Star for 15 days so we wanted to mix things up with different restaurants for at least a couple of nights. Hopefully we'll have a better experience.

Edited by Tiggerontheseas

Was it the food that was bad or the service? :(

Both....Service was slow to start. My filet was overcooked, I like med, it was well done, Hubby wanted surf n turf, server told him no one dinner per person, so he ordered lobster, which I don't eat, but never saw one like that, over cooked, curled up on plate, didn't leave potato or veg bowls, only served two spoons of each to our plate, at least server saw my steak was overdone and took it back only to bring it when my hubby was done with is "lobster". There was a plate sitting under the heat lamps for at least 15 min, I jokenly said that's probably mine...it was.

But to start things off, Hubby likes to get to reservations early, so we had a 7:30, he likes to sit at the bar and have a glass of wine, so we get there 7:10 ish, checks in, Matre D says "too early, come back 7:30, we ask about the bar, he says no, come back. Apparently they have a small bar in the Crown Grill, with 4 seats or so, but it can't be used by diners waiting for their table. So we come back at 7:30 on the dot, with, I counted them-- 8 couples in front of us. Apparently 2 couples were also early for their reservation and were sent away too. As we were waiting a woman was "exclaiming" she had made a reservation on the dine line and when she arrived, there was no reservation for her, she's telling them a man took her reservation and the Matre D is telling here that there is NO MAN who takes reservations, meanwhile, as shes going on, the asst Matre D comes to tell here that they have a table for her. As I looked around there looked to be a good 1/3 of the tables empty.

I don't recall seeing anywhere on Princess about changes made to the dining experience at the Crown Grill. One entree per person, no more bowls of sides left on the table.

We have dined at the Crown Grill every time we sail and this is the first time we have experienced this kind of food and service. I hope Princess reads this and gets their act together.

BTW, I did email Princess when we got back with what I said above, so far no response.

That is great to hear. We'll definitely be sure to give them advance notice but really don't want to put them out much either.

They are there to serve you... they will go out of their way to do what ever works for you... my husband orders off menu all the time... just ask nicely in advance and you will be amazed.

Both....Service was slow to start. My filet was overcooked, I like med, it was well done, Hubby wanted surf n turf, server told him no one dinner per person, so he ordered lobster, which I don't eat, but never saw one like that, over cooked, curled up on plate, didn't leave potato or veg bowls, only served two spoons of each to our plate, at least server saw my steak was overdone and took it back only to bring it when my hubby was done with is "lobster". There was a plate sitting under the heat lamps for at least 15 min, I jokenly said that's probably mine...it was.

But to start things off, Hubby likes to get to reservations early, so we had a 7:30, he likes to sit at the bar and have a glass of wine, so we get there 7:10 ish, checks in, Matre D says "too early, come back 7:30, we ask about the bar, he says no, come back. Apparently they have a small bar in the Crown Grill, with 4 seats or so, but it can't be used by diners waiting for their table. So we come back at 7:30 on the dot, with, I counted them-- 8 couples in front of us. Apparently 2 couples were also early for their reservation and were sent away too. As we were waiting a woman was "exclaiming" she had made a reservation on the dine line and when she arrived, there was no reservation for her, she's telling them a man took her reservation and the Matre D is telling here that there is NO MAN who takes reservations, meanwhile, as shes going on, the asst Matre D comes to tell here that they have a table for her. As I looked around there looked to be a good 1/3 of the tables empty.

I don't recall seeing anywhere on Princess about changes made to the dining experience at the Crown Grill. One entree per person, no more bowls of sides left on the table.

We have dined at the Crown Grill every time we sail and this is the first time we have experienced this kind of food and service. I hope Princess reads this and gets their act together.

BTW, I did email Princess when we got back with what I said above, so far no response.

Not good for a meal that you were probably very much looking forward to. Did they at least offer to comp some of the charge? I would be fine with only being able to order one entree per person as that is also a rule in Royal Caribbean's speciality restaurants and I wouldn't have known any difference but the rest sounds nothing like all the reports I've heard about the wonderful service. Were you on the Crown like Yags or a different ship?

I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that things go well on the Star.