Passports in Port

littlemoos

Unless I am in a country that requires visitors to carry their passports, mine will stay in the safe. We take our licenses and color copies of the passports ashore. If you miss the ship, Carnival sends security and an officer to the cabin to retrieve documents from the safe and they are given to the port agent. So, it is nonsense to believe you will be stuck in port without your passport, unless you don't actually have one in the safe. I will not add the stress of worrying about losing my passport or having it stolen when I am trying to enjoy myself. We saw people in a panic at the beach in Cozumel because someone stole their beach bag with the passport inside. No thanks, I will not go through that on my vacation.

These threads always bring out the "I'm afraid to lose my passport" entourage. :cool:

Our passports always go with us, whether cruising or on a non-US land vacation.

I just don't understand some folks unrealistic theft phobias but their cabin safe must be awful full with their passports, watches, phones, cameras, wedding rings & other jewelry, pictures of their kids, grandkids, and every other thing they own that they are afraid to use for it's intended purpose.

:loudcry: Loved your post. I agree. I just don't understand people who want to leave passport in the safe?????? IT's FOR USE WHILE ON FOREIGN SOIL.... a copy means nothing.

I have a travel wallet on a strap a got from a company called Pacsafe. It has all sorts of theft protection ... steel cable in strap, etc. No one is stealing that unless they pull a gun on me. I keep my passport, credit cards, money, etc in there and that has been around my neck all over the world, including Asia, Australia, Europe and "dangerous" countries in the Middle East. I don't worry at all about it being stolen. When in port I use that, PLUS a backpack from the same company.

If I am going to a "beach" I make sure they have lockers if needed to lock up by bags so they don't get stolen. I mean I also have a $1,000 iphone that I don't want stolen either ... and credit cards ... I mean so there will "always" be things in my "beach bag" that I don't want stolen ... what do these people do with all their other stuff while "at the beach" to safeguard it?

I don't worry about losing my passport just as I'm not worried I'm going to lose my money while in port.

I always take them with me and keep in my wallet. It is a travelon travel wallet so two fit nicely in there with everything else.

:loudcry: Loved your post. I agree. I just don't understand people who want to leave passport in the safe?????? IT's FOR USE WHILE ON FOREIGN SOIL.... a copy means nothing.

I have a travel wallet on a strap a got from a company called Pacsafe. It has all sorts of theft protection ... steel cable in strap, etc. No one is stealing that unless they pull a gun on me. I keep my passport, credit cards, money, etc in there and that has been around my neck all over the world, including Asia, Australia, Europe and "dangerous" countries in the Middle East. I don't worry at all about it being stolen. When in port I use that, PLUS a backpack from the same company.

If I am going to a "beach" I make sure they have lockers if needed to lock up by bags so they don't get stolen. I mean I also have a $1,000 iphone that I don't want stolen either ... and credit cards ... I mean so there will "always" be things in my "beach bag" that I don't want stolen ... what do these people do with all their other stuff while "at the beach" to safeguard it?

I don't like carrying things that I don't need to carry whether it's a phone, a credit card or a passport (and that applies just as much around here as it does if I'm on foreign soil). Since the majority of my time on foreign soil occurred when I didn't even have a passport I guess I don't hold it in the same regard as others.

We leave ours in the safe. I've heard as well that they leave that stuff behind for you so no real reason to take it off the ship. We leave it in there with our rings, watches, extra cash, underwear, etc[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually have a picture of my Passport saved on my phone so at least I have the # and expiration date in case I ever need it.

This is kind of funny because I am more worried about losing my phone. My phone stays in the safe, passport comes with me. Not worried about losing it because it is always on me. I have a waterproof pouch that we keep it in that buckles around the waist so we can take it along when swimming, beach, etc. The only things we leave on the beach, in our site, are coverups, towels, sunscreen etc. Nothing of value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

These threads always bring out the "I'm afraid to lose my passport" entourage. :cool:

Our passports always go with us, whether cruising or on a non-US land vacation.

I just don't understand some folks unrealistic theft phobias but their cabin safe must be awful full with their passports, watches, phones, cameras, wedding rings & other jewelry, pictures of their kids, grandkids, and every other thing they own that they are afraid to use for it's intended purpose.

I don't have a passport theft phobia. I'm just confident I won't miss the ship's departure...so there's no reason to bring them along. I'd just rather not deal with them while enjoying a port day...which always involves a ton of swimming in the ocean. Even if the odds of theft or loss of a passport are smaller...missing the ship is a smaller chance.

I guess I'd flip your opening statement around and say that these threads always bring out the "I'm afraid I'll miss the ship" entourage.

Important fact: Most of Carnival's itineraries are closed loop sailings in the Caribbean.

No passport is required of US Citizens at all.

There are thousands of Carnival customers ashore, every day, in non-US ports with only a Drivers License and a ship card. Somewhere they also have their Birth Certificate, but it likely doesn't go ashore.

Important fact: Most of Carnival's itineraries are closed loop sailings in the Caribbean.

There are thousands of Carnival customers ashore, every day, in non-US ports with only a Drivers License and a ship card. Somewhere they also have their Birth Certificate, but it likely doesn't go ashore.

Equally important fact, if you do happen to find yourself stranded at one of these ports either due to bad luck or bad decisions, You will find it much easier to get home if you have a passport.

I don't have a passport theft phobia. I'm just confident I won't miss the ship's departure...so there's no reason to bring them along. I'd just rather not deal with them while enjoying a port day...which always involves a ton of swimming in the ocean. Even if the odds of theft or loss of a passport are smaller...missing the ship is a smaller chance.

I guess I'd flip your opening statement around and say that these threads always bring out the "I'm afraid I'll miss the ship" entourage.

Word.

I take my passport card and leave passports in the safe. It so much afraid of loss, but damage. Since most of my activities are beach/boat etc, I don't trust that won't get damaged, bent to hell, beat up possible water damage... and once the chip/strip no longer reads, you have to get a new one ($$$$). CCL will pack up stuff from your cabin in case of emergency or missing the ship and deliver to agent, so they usually would deliver you your passport.

Our first few cruises we didn't have passports, we figured the risk of something happening that would cause us to have to return early was low enough that we were comfortable not having passports. Now that we fly to Europe regularly we do take them on the cruise with us, but again the risk of missing the ship by itself doesn't warrant taking them ashore with us.

Our first few cruises we didn't have passports, we figured the risk of something happening that would cause us to have to return early was low enough that we were comfortable not having passports. Now that we fly to Europe regularly we do take them on the cruise with us, but again the risk of missing the ship by itself doesn't warrant taking them ashore with us.

And, as you have likely experienced, many itineraries require the ship to take and keep your passport for most of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never taken our passports off the ship. They stay in the safe.

We do take our Driver's licenses along with our S&S cards.

As one of the previous posters said, you would need it only if you missed the ship which would never happen as we always get back way before it sails.

Happy Sailing!

You shouldn't say you would never miss the ship. You would if there was a medical emergency.

We always take our passports with us if we get off the ship. We never know if one of us might have a heart attack, or have some other kind of medical emergency. I would rather have them with us and not need them instead of needing them and they are back on the ship.