Easy decision on upsell offer

Sea Hag

We just got an upsell offer on our May 6 Alaska cruise. Offer was an upgrade from a window to a balcony for $279 each. Since there isn't a balcony that's worth that much additional to us, we won't be accepting that offer. But it's interesting to get an upsell offer. :)

We just got an upsell offer on our May 6 Alaska cruise. Offer was an upgrade from a window to a balcony for $279 each. Since there isn't a balcony that's worth that much additional to us, we won't be accepting that offer. But it's interesting to get an upsell offer. :)

Upsells have become routine for our cruises & sometimes they're worthwhile for us. We accepted a $249 (inside to deluxe balcony) offer on a 17-day TA cruise on the Royal & $49/pp (inside to oceanview) on a 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Star but refused the $279/pp balcony upsell offer on that cruise.

Based on our Hawaii cruise, even when rejecting an upsell it's possible to receive another one if yield management can get us to pay for an upsell when there are cabins to be sold. My recent experiences have been that free upgrades are much less common now than years ago because when passengers receive an acceptable upsell they're generating additional income for empty cabins.

A balcony is nice in Alaska while at sea but it's also port intensive & like you we wouldn't have accepted the upsell at that price. It may be doubtful but if they don't sell all of the balconies it's possible to receive a 2nd offer.

First time we did an Alaskan cruise, we did a balcony room. It was nice but was very cold (in July!) It just wasn't used much.

On our second trip, we took an inside room. We were close to an exit to the outside and saw just as much. It was warmer (in September) than the first.

I think you made the right move. It's easy to get outside and you only seem to use your room when you clean up, change clothes, or sleep. Save the $500 plus to do something in a port!

First time we did an Alaskan cruise, we did a balcony room. It was nice but was very cold (in July!) It just wasn't used much.

On our second trip, we took an inside room. We were close to an exit to the outside and saw just as much. It was warmer (in September) than the first.

I think you made the right move. It's easy to get outside and you only seem to use your room when you clean up, change clothes, or sleep. Save the $500 plus to do something in a port!

Our only balcony in Alaska was in 2010 when a week before sailing our great TA got Princess to give us a free upgrade from obstructed OV to a great Caribe deck cabin with the large balcony. There were many balconies still available but that was before upsells became a cost effective marketing tool for Princess.

Another time we had a Baja aft inside cabin on the Coral & friends said that we'd enjoy our great balcony. After boarding we discovered they were correct...it was the Coral's great aft viewing deck that was mostly covered & protected from the wind with many available lounge chairs in this rarely crowded area. Sadly on the Coral's twin ship the Island those aft viewing decks were replaced by additional cabins. That's good for Princess & passengers in those cabins; it's bad for everyone else on the ship.

I also received the worst upsell of year today. It's for the 10-day Alaska on May 8th, roundtrip out of San Francisco. It's from an inside, to a balcony, for $449.00 per person.:eek: Are you kidding me? It was very easy to turn this one down.

From our experience and what I've heard from other frequent cruisers, up sells are rarely worth it. Hold out for a free upgrade or stay with the location you chose. May be a better category cabin, but may be in a less desirable location (the reason no one else had already booked it).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just received an upsell offer for $99/pp from a balcony to mini suite on our upcoming Med cruise on Majesty. I did accept that. $200 seemed well worth it for the extra space and bathroom. Not to mention we booked an incredible rate for the balcony cabin. I'm excited! I'll be happy to accept another upsell to a Full Suite :) (Wishful hoping, I know!).

I always take the upsell to a Balcony. I really love having floor to ceiling windows and natural light in my cabin. Also having access to fresh air whenever needed is also great. I now rarely book anything to begin with other than a Balcony, but everyone has their own preferences :)

The last time I sailed to Alaska I took an upgrade to a suite and loved the large private deck space, always had my early morning coffee there before dealing with the breakfast crowds lol.

I would have also turned down the OP's upsell offer. The price point for me to upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony is around $100 per person for a week-long cruise. We received a lucky upgrade from an obstructed view guarantee to a deluxe ocean view with balcony (without furniture on the balcony) on the Sapphire. It was a great cabin for viewing glaciers--at the bow of the ship so we could see them even as the captain turned the ship to give both sides a view.

We just received an upsell offer for $99/pp from a balcony to mini suite on our upcoming Med cruise on Majesty. I did accept that. $200 seemed well worth it for the extra space and bathroom. Not to mention we booked an incredible rate for the balcony cabin. I'm excited! I'll be happy to accept another upsell to a Full Suite :) (Wishful hoping, I know!).

That's a good deal. Last year we accepted an offer of $129 pp to upgrade from a guarantee balcony to a mini, (7 day Regal cruise) as we thought it would be nice to have all that extra room and also, with our balcony guarantee we had no idea where we'd end up and we got to select our upgraded cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just got..and accepted the same offer. Seemed like a good deal when we had an obstructed balcony reserved.

Think there will be a lot of coming and going on this cruise, as it is a long journey to the end.