Questions on cancelling

Cruisegirl6

HELLO,

In all my 69 cruises so far, I never had to cancel but we are going on the Dream in May and are booked on the Elation in October. We just found out we have a wedding to go to the weekend of our Elation and have to cancel our cruise. We booked early saver so I realize we will loose $50 each of the deposit, my question is, if we just change the date would we still have to pay the penalty?

I have had it work both ways, I canceled a cruise with early saver last month for August 2017 and booked a different cruise at the same time and did not pay a penalty , last year I had to cancel twice and paid for the penalty both times.

yes you would.

changing the date is still canceling and re-booking to carnival. and the remainder of your money (after the penalty) can not go to the deposit of the new booking. it can only go to the trip after you pay a deposit for the new trip.

for instance lets lay you have $500 paid for. (2 people)

you will lose $100 in penalties ($50 per person)

then you will need to pay a deposit for the new booked cruise (ex: 250.00)

then after its booked , you will have the 400 remaining going to the new cruise

so in this example - you lost $100 and you now have 650. toward your new booking

Thanks for the replies...but I decided not to cancel since I don't have to cancel until July, what I plan on doing is that I will wait for a reduced deposit special, book then, so that I don't have to give them additional money for the new cruise!

Thanks for the replies...but I decided not to cancel since I don't have to cancel until July, what I plan on doing is that I will wait for a reduced deposit special, book then, so that I don't have to give them additional money for the new cruise!

you will still have to give them the deposit. obviously less if you catch that sale but you will still need to give them some additional money regardless

If I have a credit for $400, and book with half deposit, which would bring that to $250 I would still have a credit and not need to give more money.

you cant use your credit for the deposit. at all... they wont allow it

you have to pay the deposit first and then take your credit and apply it

HELLO,

In all my 69 cruises so far, I never had to cancel but we are going on the Dream in May and are booked on the Elation in October. We just found out we have a wedding to go to the weekend of our Elation and have to cancel our cruise. We booked early saver so I realize we will loose $50 each of the deposit, my question is, if we just change the date would we still have to pay the penalty?

We had to cancel a Journey's cruise and reschedule on another ship and we did have to pay the $50 pp penalty. However, I can't complain because my PVP was able to keep my $200 OBC which was from a Friends & Family voucher so I came out ahead. I really didn't qualify for that OBC since I changed cruises.

I wonder whether Carnival will waive loosing the deposit due to major heath reasons....I live with fibromyalgia, lupus, three herniated discs and other medical issues, I do have a disability permit and on disability, I am going to find out later down the road if for medical reasons cancelling the cruise if I would loose the deposit. :confused:

if your switching to another cruise on another date , I have to ask what your health reasons have to do with getting waived from the penalty. I am not trying to be a wise guy or trying to tell you that it wont work. I am really asking what does the illness have to do with the cruise your on that will not be there on the cruise you move to.

Typically , they will not make an exception because that is what insurance is typically for and if you have these conditions and the potential was there, you should not have booked under the rate plan you did.

Again, this is not to be rude or mean, I don't understand the correlation between having the illness you do and moving to another cruise date.

also it always depends on who you speak with at carnival. some will make an exception , some wont. but within the rules, I dont think they will

I changed my last post when you sent your reply and I didn't find you rude at all.

I will keep the booking and cancel the day before payment is due, out of all my many cruises with Carnival (I am platinum) I never was told by my PVP that there is a penalty in cancelling, but I learned that now.

I will book the Harmony of the Seas or the new Symphony of the Seas for next year and keep the credit for a second cruise next year I guess.

HELLO,

The technical answer is yes, you would lose the $50 pp no matter what.

However, I have changed cruises (cancelled one and booked the other at the same time), and they transferred the full deposit over. No $50 pp penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually this is not true if you are cancelling and rebooking at the same time. The only time you cannot use the cancelled deposit towards a new deposit is if you don't book the new one at the same time as cancelling the old one. In that case, it becomes a "future cruise credit" to be used towards a new cruise, but not the deposit.

Actually this is not true if you are cancelling and rebooking at the same time. The only time you cannot use the cancelled deposit towards a new deposit is if you don't book the new one at the same time as cancelling the old one. In that case, it becomes a "future cruise credit" to be used towards a new cruise, but not the deposit.

I believe I have read that people have not been allowed to put any of the money toward a deposit of the cruise they are switching to from people on cruise critic but your miles may vary. (I dont have actual experience on this so defer to others)

HELLO,

Yes you will.

I've canceled twice with ES and both times I called up to cancel and booked a new cruise while still on with the same rep and both times they used it as a deposit for the new cruise but I had to pony up an additional $100 which was taken as the penalty.

If i would have canceled and called back a week later to rebook then I would have need a whole deposit and the credit could not be used as the down payment.

In each scenario you still will lose the $50PP.

Bill