Great Stirrup Cay

MrJulius

We will be on the Sky in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions. It seems as though only one ship a day calls on GSC and the passenger load of that ship determines how crowded the island can get.

I also believe that the pond area of GSC is now off limits while the Haven area is under construction.

My DW has back issues and would require a lounger to sit. No more towels on the sand for us. Since the Sky is a smaller ship than others, will we have any problems finding a lounger?

The reason why I ask this question is because I can also get a small cabana for $299 or a large cabana for $319 (both with a $50 food and beverage credit). This would guarantee seats. There will be four of us.

I don't see clamshell rentals on the excursions page.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

MrJulius

Order two clamshell when you get onboard. $30 each. Guaranteed lounger and a shade cover. If you get two in Beach 1 area, you will be right beside the bar and very close to the taco bar.

Wow, that was quick!

Thanks Kingmaker_inc. I thought that the clamshells were sold out because they weren't on the excursions page.

I suppose that the clamshells are assigned on a first come first served basis once you get to GSC so getting to the island early would give me a better opportunity to get the two of them next to each other and a "better" (read bar and taco stand) location.

Does the clamshell rental have priority tendering?

Thanks.

MrJulius

Just off the Epic yesterday, make sure you get a clam shell once you get on board. You can make the reservation on Deck 5 at the Shore Excursion desk. We waited a day or two and none were available.

We were unable to go to GSC because of the weather. We were told by more than a few of the crew that it's a 50/50 chance of being canceled and the weather/wind can be bad around the island. Even someone at the Crews Next desk told us that this was at a least the 3rd time this year that they couldn't get to GSC. Totally understand the safety portion of not getting off the ship onto a Tender but they really need to do more than credit back to $15 per person port charges.

Just off the Epic yesterday, make sure you get a clam shell once you get on board. You can make the reservation on Deck 5 at the Shore Excursion desk. We waited a day or two and none were available.

We were unable to go to GSC because of the weather. We were told by more than a few of the crew that it's a 50/50 chance of being canceled and the weather/wind can be bad around the island. Even someone at the Crews Next desk told us that this was at a least the 3rd time this year that they couldn't get to GSC. Totally understand the safety portion of not getting off the ship onto a Tender but they really need to do more than credit back to $15 per person port charges.

They only give back port charges if they miss any port. They'd go broke giving money back for GSC, since it's missed so much. Plus, a lot if the time they end up,docking in Nassau early, so it costs NCL money missing GSC. Two loungers come with each clamshell, they are available to book once you get onboard, and do sell out. You get a priority tender ticket with it.

Order two clamshell when you get onboard. $30 each. Guaranteed lounger and a shade cover. If you get two in Beach 1 area, you will be right beside the bar and very close to the taco bar.

There are two loungers and the clamshell shade as one unit. Also, you will get priority tender because the clamshell is considered an excursion.... and finally, when you have the attendant set it up make sure to ask for a clamshell that has a vented panel (that vent allows for air flow and can make a difference with heat build up if you get one without the vent). The clamshell is not attached to the loungers so don't be afraid to find a spot and ask for the vented clamshell be changed with the non vented (just tip the attendant a little more for the extra effort)

The $15 pp is more than we got when we missed GSC on the BA a couple years ago. We got $0.

If you want to get on an early GSC tender, locate the booking table immediately upon embarking the ship at the start of your cruise and book your tender (before lunch, bar, or anywhere else ;)). On the Epic in Feb it was in Headliners.

Early in the morning when we arrived at GSC the Captain had made an announcement, before the start of tendering, that the visit may be cut short due to a storm brewing. We actually made it onto GSC for an hour or two, when we were sent back to the ship due to the wind kicking up. Some people did not make it off the ship. It was interesting tender ride going back to the ship :o We were given $14.50 refundable OBC per person.

Just got back a few weeks ago. As others have said:

As soon as you get on go to the excursion desk and order up 1 clamshell (has 2 loungers)

You get a priority tender ticket

Go early to get your choice of location of clamshell - ask for vented clamshell

And - yes the lagoon is off limits during the construction

Why do you say that they really need to do more than credit back $15 per person port charges? If that's what they charged then that's what you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say that they really need to do more than credit back $15 per person port charges? If that's what they charged then that's what you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone who didn't read the cruise contract part about missing or changing ports of call I guess. :)

There are PLENTY of loungers all over the island...you can move them, if the ones you want aren't where you want them. No need to pay for a lounger.

Yes, I should have added that to my post. I got the clamshell so I had some shade when I wanted it. But if you are looking to just ensure you get a lounger, you will not need the clamshell. Especially on the Sky, there will be more than enough chairs for you.

Just off Breakaway today. Clam shells are now 39$. Definitely reserve at excursion desk, when we boarded the app would not allow us to reserve and the on board screen did not work either. Went down at for priority tendering at 9:10 am and was on the tender by 930. People that got off the ship after 12 had trouble finding chairs.

Yes, I should have added that to my post. I got the clamshell so I had some shade when I wanted it. But if you are looking to just ensure you get a lounger, you will not need the clamshell. Especially on the Sky, there will be more than enough chairs for you.

Ya, sorry, I didn't mention that either. I am a redhead, and I am always looking for shade. When we visited there on the Sky, there was no trouble finding loungers... but I still appreciated the sun cover component of the clamshell.

Hi dex...that doesn't seem fair...:mad: I guess they have changed their policy since we were given a credit.

Hi Freckles. Glad you made it with your DD to GSC for at least a bit.

When we missed it we were on BA and that was March 2014. We got up around 8, went to breakfast to have server tell us we aren't going. Interesting as no announcements had been made yet.

By 10 they had the new Dailies out and shops open including a huge bizarre by the shops flocked with people.

We had our kids with us and they would have enjoyed the day at GSC - the first time they were there they were young. We still have one of the pictures with our DS trying to eat a hot dog and the seagulls were buzzing him.

No, we didn't get any refund. I"ve seen some discussion since with people debating it and I've seen some posts recently saying they did get some small refund so something must have changed.

So far we are 2/3 to GSC.

Thanks to all for the great advice.

Seems like the Sky, being a smaller ship, will leave plenty of loungers at GSC even with the pond area now being off limits.

Whatever we do we will scope out a good spot near one of the bars ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all for the great advice.

Seems like the Sky, being a smaller ship, will leave plenty of loungers at GSC even with the pond area now being off limits.

Whatever we do we will scope out a good spot near one of the bars ;)

It's pretty low-key with the Sky. Walk past the Bacardi bar and you'll see some loungers under trees. Fantastic second beach that most don't find, away from the limbo and other loud activities. Free shade, free drinks, and about 5 minutes' walk to the free food (hard left or right, there are four lines!) Best beach day, ever! Oh, and the friendly rays from Stingray City do wander over to that smaller beach, so bring snorkel gear to check them out and do the shuffle-shuffle when you go in the water if you don't fancy a slimy surprise!