Parking at the Breakaway in New York

lazarusrevival

I did hear they were having trouble justifying the $246 night. I don't believe they are covering their cost. Of course the time of year makes a difference on price as well. Summer is always more expensive for hotel rooms anywhere. I know when we checked in Sat we got an Uber to NYC 911 museum and it cost us $54 there and $66 back to Ridgefield. So around $100 of that room price is probably the round trip car service. Then breakfast four four people.....leaving our car put it over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah..I was wondering how they could offer so much or $246 too. But I am assuming that more and more people are finding out about this deal so now they can up the price. I still think, even at the price we are paying, that it's a good deal for us because we would be staying in NYC the night before our cruise anyway and one night in NYC is pretty pricey and never includes parking for the duration, a ride to the pier, and breakfast. So we are still getting a great deal with the Hilton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I always park at the pier in NY. Can't beat the convenience. Drive up to pier, pay, unload luggage near elevator, then park car. Go down to street level give luggage to porter then go to check in. After cruise go up to roof with luggage and leave. This year we are on Gem. We have coupon for 25% off. So for $210 for 7 days, can't beat that. We live in Long Island, so it takes from getting off boat to home around 1 hour. Can't beat that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always park at the pier in NY. Can't beat the convenience. Drive up to pier, pay, unload luggage near elevator, then park car. Go down to street level give luggage to porter then go to check in. After cruise go up to roof with luggage and leave. This year we are on Gem. We have coupon for 25% off. So for $210 for 7 days, can't beat that. We live in Long Island, so it takes from getting off boat to home around 1 hour. Can't beat that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you mind me asking where you got the coupon from? We have used the pier parking for cruises on Breakaway and Carnival - but only during the summer. We have also used a car service, which actually came out to less than parking at the cruise terminal. We are thinking of doing Breakaway during Christmas, but I am worried about leaving my car on the rooftop for 1 week in the cold/snow!! I am also leary of leaving my car in a parking garage in the city for a week!

Do you mind me asking where you got the coupon from? We have used the pier parking for cruises on Breakaway and Carnival - but only during the summer. We have also used a car service, which actually came out to less than parking at the cruise terminal. We are thinking of doing Breakaway during Christmas, but I am worried about leaving my car on the rooftop for 1 week in the cold/snow!! I am also leary of leaving my car in a parking garage in the city for a week!

Here's the GEM coupon...... not transferrrable to any other sailing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51758172&postcount=4

The Hilton Garden Inn about a 15 minute ride from the port (70 Challenger Road,Ridgefield Park,New Jersey,07660,USA ) has a "park and cruise" package. Stay one night and you can park there for your entire cruise no matter how long it is. They take you to the port and will pick you back up at the end of your cruise. Free breakfast on day of your cruise. Not a bad deal. We want to be in NYC the day before so it's a great deal for us.

Ditto, no official coupon - ever - issued nor accepted for discount for the Breakaway.

My recollection was that someone tried photoshop it and it was "no" deal.

Coupon is valid for and ONLY for the Norwegian Gem sailings on the day of embarkation. It is honored and accepted at the parking operator's discretion, as prices are subject to change without notice & the official 2016 (full) rate of $40 including taxes & surcharges has't been raised ... yet.

Good luck trying otherwise and there was never any documented claims to substantiate successful use in getting a discount to park there with the Gem only coupon.

It is a secured & fenced in lots and while we only parked there once sailing the Dawn, years ago - your odds of getting the car dinged or bumped by others are far higher in a commercial garage in NYC & nearby. Drive in the winter months - always carry a shovel & be prepared (long-term airport parking lots - JFK, LGA & EWR are mostly all outdoors); otherwise - leave the vehicle at home in the driveway or indoor garage ... and, like us - pay for & use a car service (Carmel or Dial 7) ... pray for a smooth transfer (60+ minutes delay this morning on the inbound G.W. Bridge, a popular route for the pier)

Need help, there are well-maintained & updated threads and FAQ guides written by frequent and experienced CC'ers for getting to NCL piers in the East Coast destination sub-forum.

Ditto, no official coupon - ever - issued nor accepted for discount for the Breakaway.

Need help, there are well-maintained & updated threads and FAQ guides written by frequent and experienced CC'ers for getting to NCL piers in the East Coast destination sub-forum.

Wrong on the Breakaway coupon. We used one in 2013. It was one of the main reasons we booked Breakaway in the first place. It was offered by the City of New York. If you do a search, you will find some reviews in which the coupon is mentioned. Couldn't beat the convenience and/or price of parking at the pier. (here is a link to someone's review that mentions the coupon - though they had trouble using it.)

However, you are right on steering people to the East Coast forum.

Wrong on the Breakaway coupon. We used one in 2013. It was one of the main reasons we booked Breakaway in the first place. It was offered by the City of New York ...

Correction for 2013 so noted - but, no successful use of any coupon since 2014 then, correct? Folks asking about current & valid deals on the East Coast forum would be delighted, including all those on the Roll Calls. Pier parking was $35 a day back in 2013 and max'd at $350 for 10 days & longer, prices raised to $40 in 2014 and remained so since then. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070676

There are other parking options nearby, "walking" distance & across the Hudson on the NJ side, etc. ... but not helpful, IMHO, to have folks go on a wild goose chase for expired or old coupons or discounts for rooftop parking at the terminal. The current deal, unpublished is good for the Gem out of MCT only.

Correction for 2013 so noted - but, no successful use of any coupon since 2014 then, correct? Folks asking about current & valid deals on the East Coast forum would be delighted, including all those on the Roll Calls. Pier parking was $35 a day back in 2013 and max'd at $350 for 10 days & longer, prices raised to $40 in 2014 and remained so since then. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070676

There are other parking options nearby, "walking" distance & across the Hudson on the NJ side, etc. ... but not helpful, IMHO, to have folks go on a wild goose chase for expired or old coupons or discounts for rooftop parking at the terminal. The current deal, unpublished is good for the Gem out of MCT only.

I used it two weeks ago, actually couldn't find it at first, paid full price, found it after we parked, got a $70 refund, attendant says that happens a lot.

ETA, it was super easy to find on CC with a search, took a mi use.

I used it two weeks ago, actually couldn't find it at first, paid full price, found it after we parked, got a $70 refund, attendant says that happens a lot.

ETA, it was super easy to find on CC with a search, took a mi use.

Mking was talking about the Breakaway, which as you know, and said so yourself earlier today, does not have a coupon.

Correct. Wish they would re-issue coupons for Breakaway - but I don't think they will, as they have plenty of people willing to pay the $40 per day for pier parking. I would pay to do it, if I wasn't possibly sailing in December. Rather than leave my car out in the elements for 8 days I will take a car service in from Long Island. Will probably end up costing the same or less. Would love to be able to just get off the ship and into my car, instead of having to cross that busy street hauling luggage and find the pickup car!

Mking was talking about the Breakaway, which as you know, and said so yourself earlier today, does not have a coupon.

Oops, I missed that. I also sail ed on the Breakaway in 2013, and parked at the pier. I can't believe I missed out on a coupon, but don't remember seeing one.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, TCubed said:

Does anyone know if you can reserve parking at the pier?  Worried about it filling up then not knowing what to do.

I’ve never heard of it filling up. On our last cruise, pier 88 was closed to cruisers due to Fleetweek, they directed passengers to park right next door at pier 90. But no, it can’t be reserved.

17 minutes ago, TCubed said:

Does anyone know if you can reserve parking at the pier?  Worried about it filling up then not knowing what to do.

Pier 90 was empty last month, no need for reservations should Pier 88 filled up during busier months.

IMG_20190106_161812305.jpg

IMG_20190106_161732767.jpg