Sapphire refit..

gunn3rs3

• 1 month later...
Where can we find this info on the Princess web site? Thanks.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/#ships

According to this schedule, the Sapphire Princess ends one cruise on March 14th, 2018 in Singapore then begins her next cruise 14 days later in Singapore. From that I take it that she will have a refit of almost 2 weeks at a shipyard in or near Singapore.

Is it true Sapphire will have a refit, if so when and anyone know what is being done.

Princess ships tend hit a routine dry dock approx every 3-4 years.

We sailed on her right before her 2014 major Asia market updates.

They usually do Hull cleaning/painting/carpeting/furnishings/electronics updates etc.

Not sure other than Medallion updates if she will get anything major.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Where can we find this info on the Princess web site? Thanks.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/#ships

According to this schedule, the Sapphire Princess ends one cruise on March 14th, 2018 in Singapore then begins her next cruise 14 days later in Singapore. From that I take it that she will have a refit of almost 2 weeks at a shipyard in or near Singapore.

Here's a link to an unofficial but usually accurate website for Princess drydocks...Shanghai from March 14-27, 2018 but no details on what's being done.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

I'm hoping for something more major than scrapping the hull as will be sailing on her in September 2018. Fingers crossed for something similar to the recent Caribbean Princess dry dock.

Typically a 2 week dry dock seems to accomplish regular maintenance, not major changes or upgrades. The Sapphire was our fav before she left for Asia; I hope you enjoy her regardless of what's done during drydock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Caribbean Princess had quite a few changes in just 12 days. I would think 14 days would allow similar changes. Golden Princess also has a 14 day drydock in April 2018.

Typically a 2 week dry dock seems to accomplish regular maintenance, not major changes or upgrades. The Sapphire was our fav before she left for Asia; I hope you enjoy her regardless of what's done during drydock!

That's typically true however the recent Caribbean 12-day drydock resulted in many changes including converting Cafe Caribe into Planks & Steamers Seafood (fee for dinner) and modifications to the grill, pizza & ice cream venues.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/cb-caribbean-princess/drydock-2017/

I'm hoping that the Sapphire will have similar changes when sailing the ship after the March 2018 drydock. The Sapphire was our favorite West Coast ship but we'll now have to fly to Europe instead of driving to the Port of LA. ;)

That's typically true however the recent Caribbean 12-day drydock resulted in many changes including converting Cafe Caribe into Planks & Steamers Seafood (fee for dinner) and modifications to the grill, pizza & ice cream venues.

I'm hoping that the Sapphire will have similar changes when sailing the ship after the March 2018 drydock. The Sapphire was our favorite West Coast ship but we'll now have to fly to Europe instead of driving to the Port of LA. ;)

Sapphire will almost certainly get the rebranded Camp Discovery kids & teen centers as that has been announced as fleetwide. My guess is she will also get the renovated Sabatini's Trattoria to match the two (and counting?) other early-generation Grand Class ships.

But the Lido deck venues? I can see the upcharge items at Salty Dog Grill, Slice Pizzeria, and Cups & Cones as a real possibility. But how to add Steamers Seafood, Planks BBQ, and the Wake View Bar? There's no Cafe Caribe on Sapphire; to upgrade the rear half of Horizon Court would likely take way more than two weeks. Plus some accommodation would have to be made for Sterling Steakhouse which is held in that area.

I also don't see such features clearly aimed at the US market being a priority to add to Sapphire with a deployment the next two years rotating between the UK and Asia, with the necessary long repo cruises in between. But again, that's just my guess. (That's all any of these what's-gonna-happen-next-drydock threads are, lots of talking through our hats :o)

Sapphire will almost certainly get the rebranded Camp Discovery kids & teen centers as that has been announced as fleetwide. My guess is she will also get the renovated Sabatini's Trattoria to match the two (and counting?) other early-generation Grand Class ships.

But the Lido deck venues? I can see the upcharge items at Salty Dog Grill, Slice Pizzeria, and Cups & Cones as a real possibility. But how to add Steamers Seafood, Planks BBQ, and the Wake View Bar? There's no Cafe Caribe on Sapphire; to upgrade the rear half of Horizon Court would likely take way more than two weeks. Plus some accommodation would have to be made for Sterling Steakhouse which is held in that area.

I also don't see such features clearly aimed at the US market being a priority to add to Sapphire with a deployment the next two years rotating between the UK and Asia, with the necessary long repo cruises in between. But again, that's just my guess. (That's all any of these what's-gonna-happen-next-drydock threads are, lots of talking through our hats :o)

I agree with your analysis & as you posted all we can do is to speculate until details are released.

The times I've sailed the Sapphire the large deck 7 Internet Cafe was underutilized & on the Diamond it was converted to Kai Sushi with only a very small deck 5 Internet Cafe. Maybe they'll make the Internet Cafe space into either Planks, Steamers Seafood or another dining venue.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree with your analysis & as you posted all we can do is to speculate until details are released.

The times I've sailed the Sapphire the large deck 7 Internet Cafe was underutilized & on the Diamond it was converted to Kai Sushi with only a very small deck 5 Internet Cafe. Maybe they'll make the Internet Cafe space into either Planks, Steamers Seafood or another dining venue.

At one time that Internet Cafe space was to be an expanded Sabatini's and it even showed in the Cruise Atlas but the work was not done during the drydock. I imagine other than a remodel of the current Sabatini's they could convert Swirls to Coffee and Cones, Prego Pizzeria to Slices, the Trident Grill to the Salty Dog Grill, the Mermaid's Tail Bar to the Mix, and the HC to the World Marketplace. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums